• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMMG Mk3 308 question

downhill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2010
Texas
Guys I have had a CMMG Mk3 308 offered to me for $1500. It has the SS 1n10 18" bbl, 2 stage trigger, freefloat tube and the Magpul adjustable stock. I don't have any experience with CMMG at all. Seems to be a quality AR10. Was wondering if any of you guys had any input as the rifle in general?

Re: CMMG Mk3 308 question

I have one. Bought it for about 1200 from cdnn a while back. Here is my input.

The trigger is junk, count on a replacement. The good thing is that any quality ar15 trigger system will fit in there. I chose a geissele.

The forend might be okay for some. Mine was clocked to the right and the included pic rails were not very beefy. I wanted something more secure (and straight) so I installed a Troy quad rail. Also, the flat top on the upper receiver is not meant to be continuous into an aftermarket rail, so the notch intervals are not consistent between the two. Personally, I don't like spanning a scope mount or rings between the two, but I thought I'd point it out anyways.

Last negative, the barrel does not like to be stripped out. It seems to take a considerable number of rounds to copper foul it too. My completely clean bore shots are typically 2" low at 100y, with a little bit of left. I've never woned a gun that acted like that. Now that I've learned this, I have no plans to strip the copper out anytime soon.

However, with these negatives, the thing shoots great for me. I don't have much experience shooting moderate to long range, but the first time I shot it past 500y, I scored first round hits at 600y, 700y, and a second rounder on 800y. For me, and my locale, ~850y is the max range for this gun shooting 168g GMM. I haven't tried anything hotter or heavier yet.

I'm still learning this gun. Would I buy it again, knowing what I know now? Probably, but I'd probably consider a higher end build more carefully too. As it is, I'm considering my options to rebarrel or anything else to try to make it a 1000y gun.