• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMP Custom shop work

RonHam

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2008
Shoreham NY
Im getting ready to send off a 1903 to have a new barrel put on and Im considering having a c stock fitted. The new barrel and c-stock were previously purchased from the CMP. I having a deluxe install which includes truing the receiver face and lapping of the lugs. Im iffy on having the stock fitted, I bedded the rear tang (bottom to stock still maintaining proper clearance to prevent splitting the stock) and front recoil lug. I did not do a pressure pad yet.

Any comments or insight from anyone?

Everything I have read on the CMP forums would suggest that you should get everything done that you would ever want while its in their custom shop, it sounds like they do a great job. The only thing about the bedding is if you plan on shooting it in a CMP competition, I believe no bedding is allowed.

Those CMP armors do excellent work.

I agree with Classicshooter. I'd skip the bedding route. '03s don't need it.

Now a word about the rear tang. 1903 stocks crack at the rear tang. Its not the rear tang that's the problem, is fit at the recoil lug. When the rear tang are of the stock stars to chip or crack the stock is beyond repair.

Call and talk to the CMP armors before you concentrate on the tang area.

My advice is if they are putting the rifle together, let them fit the stock as well.

They have an "on line" maintenance class you can sign up for. It'll explain a lot about the 03 (as well as other US rifles) that will give you an idea what to ask for and about before you seen the gun to the Custom Shop.

Regardless, if you send the gun to the CMP Custom shop you're going to get back a shooter you'll be proud of.

Got an email from the CMP that my rifle was received, funny thing too since USPS tracking still shows it in processing! The custom shop is closed for the week so now the real wait begins, Im guessing it will be a month before I get anything back.

I am disheartened to see the the CMP is doing the same kind of permanent modification to these old soldiers that garage "Gunsmiths" have ben doing for years.

If you are going to have a rifle butchered, start with one that some knob has already messed with, squaring the receiver or cutting or lapping the lugs
guarantees that this rifle will never be able to have a GI barrel installed ever again or use an issue bolt. Fitting a new barrel or adding and fitting a stock is reversible.

Please think it through before you jump.

OK, Flame on, lets have it......

I am disheartened to see the the CMP is doing the same kind of permanent modification to these old soldiers that garage "Gunsmiths" have ben doing for years.

If you are going to have a rifle butchered, start with one that some knob has already messed with, squaring the receiver or cutting or lapping the lugs
guarantees that this rifle will never be able to have a GI barrel installed ever again or use an issue bolt. Fitting a new barrel or adding and fitting a stock is reversible.

Please think it through before you jump.

OK, Flame on, lets have it......

Sounds like he already jumped.

The CMP called today, the armor working on my rifle had a few questions and took plenty of time to hear what I was expecting and looking for, offered his opinion and then discussed options with me. All in all a phone conversation that was everything I expected from the CMP, clear discussions, no rush and detailed explanations and options. Hope fully my rifle was completed today if not I expect Monday morning it will be done and then shipped out to me. I can only hope I dont have anything important at work the day it arrives because Ill be droping everything and heading to the range to see the improvements.

I bought a CMP O3A3 2nd hand with PG stock and the stock broke sometime during the first firing of it after I got it .It broke the recoil area out of the stock and took a chunk out of the rear area behind the tang .When I pulled it down the rear tang had a thin piece of brass tubing like you find in a hobby shop instead of the steel bushing it should have had . I made a steel bushing and bedded it in and replaced the piece at the tang and doesn't show at all . I glued the recoil area back in and bedded the action and the trigger guard and its been holding ever since but now its useless as a competitor as its not as issued .