• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMP has repliac M-82 Scopes and Mounts

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
The CMP has just listed HiLux replica scopes and mounts for sale. They are taking orders now for delivery in Jan 2014.

I haven't used one of these scopes but I've talked to several people who have and its my understanding they are of good quality. The scope comes with the mounts and rings for the M1993A4 but can be used on the M1C/D.

They are legal for use in the CMP Vintage sniper Match. I just sent in my order, but having decided yet if I will replace the Weaver K-2.5 on my A4 or get a M1D. If it turns out as good as I think its going to be, I'll get another so I can have it on both.

Civilian Marksmanship Program eStore

If this is also a 2.5X scope, I don't see any gain in dropping $375 and changing out the original Hi-Lux M73G2 replica scope that are on the current Gibbs and Creedmoor 1903/A4 replicas.

Thanks for the info though.

Last edited:
From what I understand the are of good quality. Its the M82G2 scope and will be serial numbered starting with 0001.

I'm assuming they will be sold based on orders, or the first will get the lower, 1 gets 0001, 2, 0002, etc.

I've always had good luck with the CMP, the stuff I got from them has always been better then advertised.

Anyway I ordered one just as they were listed.

If this is also a 2.5X scope, I don't see any gain in dropping $375 and changing out the original Hi-Lux M73G2 replica scope that are on the current Gibbs and Creedmoor 1903/A4 replicas.

This is how I feel. I guess it will be great for those that are starting from scratch, but no need to swap out my 2.5 power for another 2.5 power scope.

I don't know. The ORIGINAL M73 (Gibbs put out a 2nd generation) on the Gibbs 1903A4s were HORRIBLE. I mean, it was for looks only. If you actually looked through it you would swear you were looking through a NERF scope with plastic lenses. They were not usable.

I don't know. The ORIGINAL M73 (Gibbs put out a 2nd generation) on the Gibbs 1903A4s were HORRIBLE. I mean, it was for looks only. If you actually looked through it you would swear you were looking through a NERF scope with plastic lenses. They were not usable.

I know. I have the 2nd generation scope (the so-called G2) and it is superbly clear. Hence my initial reply.

I try to steer clear of clone discussions but:

First scope offered on the original GIBBS A4 Replicas were marked M73G1 - "FM Optics"
due to the problems Gibbs kicked FM Optics to the curb and went with Leatherwood/HiLux/MalcolmM73G2

The "G" in the nomenclature stands of course for "Gibbs"

When all the other clone builders jumped on the band wagon (Creedmoor, James River et al.) they also adopted the M73G2 scopes imported by Leatherwood/Hilux for their Malcolm vintage line. The latest scope catalogued is the M73G4 and apparently has some minor improvements.

The Telescope, M73 was the miitary designation for the 2.5x Lyman Alaskan
The Telescope, M73B1 was the military designation for the 2.75x Weaver 330C.

A few M73B1's were manufactured by Frankford Arsenal (very rare).
In 1945 a french company, OPL, Produced a small number of M73B2 scopes for use on the A4

Jim

Last edited: