• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMP M1C & M1D

Re: CMP M1C & M1D

First let me say I have used both the C & D quite bit. I ran several sniper schools using the M1C/D and found that they are equally effective, one not being better then the other.

In the CMP stores the M1D is quite a bit cheaper then the Cs, why I don't know.

So my advice would be to get the best "D" Grade you can afford, it would be cheaper then the worse C grade.

To add, I think you'd be happy with either, regardless of grade.

If cost is a concern finding mounts/scope/accessories for a C will likely cost more than a D.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm leaning towards a Service Grade D. I have debated on getting one for awhile but am getting closer to ordering one; like all good things from the CMP they will be out someday and I don't want to miss the opportunity.

C's saw combat use in WWII, which makes them more desirable for collectors, hence the price difference.

1. C's were made for USMC so you have that mystique
2. C's were made in far fewer number around 7-8 k in total.
3. C's had special barrels made for them where the D's had standard service grade.

Go with a D. You still have a chance of finding all the accessory items (good luck on correct scope for a C).
Mine is a Service Grade I bought at the South Store. Took about a year to find: scope mount, scope, flash hider and cheek rest. Reproduction parts are everywhere, but hold out for originals.
M1D-complete.jpg

I was in the CMP shop at Perry this summer. As an old school Garand guy, I was almost in heaven at the amount of M1-D and M1-C's they had in stock. Must have been 30 on the rack.

I spent more time looking at the perry 308 versions. It was interesting to see Garands in 308 at Perry.

TTR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticaltshirtsREP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was in the CMP shop at Perry this summer. As an old school Garand guy, I was almost in heaven at the amount of M1-D and M1-C's they had in stock. Must have been 30 on the rack.

I spent more time looking at the perry 308 versions. It was interesting to see Garands in 308 at Perry.

TTR</div></div>

Ideally, I would like to go to the store and pick one out but I don't have the time for that sort of road trip right now. That's why I was curious as to what anyone's impression was on these offerings.

I went to the south store in 2006 and bought three rifles; a FG SA M1, a 1903A1, and 1917 Eddystone. I've always been happy with what I have received from the CMP but nothing compares to being able to sort through multiple rifles and picking one out. For example, the FG I picked out was well within service grade specs with exceptional wood.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC mustang</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticaltshirtsREP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was in the CMP shop at Perry this summer. As an old school Garand guy, I was almost in heaven at the amount of M1-D and M1-C's they had in stock. Must have been 30 on the rack.

TTR</div></div>

Ideally, I would like to go to the store and pick one out but I don't have the time for that sort of road trip right now. That's why I was curious as to what anyone's impression was on these offerings.

I went to the south store in 2006 and bought three rifles; a FG SA M1, a 1903A1, and 1917 Eddystone. I've always been happy with what I have received from the CMP but nothing compares to being able to sort through multiple rifles and picking one out. For example, the FG I picked out was well within service grade specs with exceptional wood. </div></div>

True. Don't they offer a select option? You can pay to have them pick one out per your goals? I honestly don't know.

TTR

[/quote]

True. Don't they offer a select option? You can pay to have them pick one out per your goals? I honestly don't know.

TTR[/quote]

No, they don't offer such an option for additional money. You can put a sticky note requesting a certain serial number range on your order forum, a SA under 3.8 million to ensure it is a WWII era gun for example, or a USGI walnut stock but there is no guarantee you will get it. All the folks at CMP will do (maybe) is take an extra minute to scan the rifles in front of them and try to get one that matches your request.

FWIW, the time that I added a sticky note to a garand order requesting a SA under 3.8 million I received one with a receiver made in December 1941.

The best thing to do is drive to the store, talk to the armorers, get some TE/MW gauges and spend an enjoyable day going through dozens of rifles to find what you are looking for.

There is a guy who regularly posts on the South Store forum that goes to the store and finds rifles for people.
Knows his stuff, and you just pay him a little for his trouble and gas.
I don't know of anyone who has not been happy with their rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LanceS4803</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a guy who regularly posts on the South Store forum that goes to the store and finds rifles for people.
Knows his stuff, and you just pay him a little for his trouble and gas.
I don't know of anyone who has not been happy with their rifle. </div></div>

I may not have the details right, but I THOUGHT there were people who would do the above for you. Good post.

TTR