• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMP Positional Shooting

Alphatreedog

Tier Potato
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    So my so has been on a quest for 2 yrs now to join the Marine Corps . He's 15 so he has time to prepare . Talked to the Recruiter the other day to cover bases .
    So I looked around and it seems that Marine Rifle Qualification is very similar to CMP . My club says it's CMP but it's only to 100 yds. . Youtubed CMP positions and figure we would be best getting an Instructor .
    Any thoughts or input toward the CMP , Positional Shooting and his ultimate goal would be very much appreciated .

If the Corps is still using the old style targets, he can start practicing on the targets that I've scaled for short distances: 25 yards and 50 yards.

200 yard target scaled for 25 yards

300 yard target scaled for 50 yards

500 yard target scaled for 50 yards

You can also download the rifle marksmanship manual: here.

Thanks . Trying to help him prepare for success . He's got the fitness and rucking . We are also in the process of tracking down a land nave course .
    Thanks again .

While it's admirable that you want to get instruction for your son, if he shows up at MCRD with a fit body, attentive mind, pays attention to detail and has a good attitude, the DIs and PMIs will teach him everything he needs to know w/o him having to unlearn anything.

I've never been to one but I've read the Appleseed program will teach him positional shooting and some history. You could buy a quality .22lr rifle and a case of decent .22lr and he would be one his way.

Reactions: Alphatreedog
    Having trouble downloading all three of the the scaled down targets your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    I just changed the access. Give it another try and let me know if it's working.

For land nav, look around for orienteering clubs. Some universities still have them.

For weapons instructors, less talking is better (LoL). This one is much harder to find. Whole lot of worthless out there.
    Some good qualities to look for:
    Prove they can do what they claim to teach. Demonstrations!
    Focused on fundamentals.
    Asks questions and actively listens.
    Require practice on drills.
    Lack of ego while teaching (maybe most important).

As former USMC I can tell you the Drill Instructors and Primary Marksmanship Instructors would rather receive a blank canvas (untrained) than a painting they would have to paint over (incorrectly trained / bad habits to break).

Best would be to get physically ready to both succeed and prevent injury and to memorize the General Orders.

-Stan

As former USMC I can tell you the Drill Instructors and Primary Marksmanship Instructors would rather receive a blank canvas (untrained) than a painting they would have to paint over (incorrectly trained / bad habits to break).

Best would be to get physically ready to both succeed and prevent injury and to memorize the General Orders.

-Stan

This ^ (y)

Thanks . Trying to help him prepare for success . He's got the fitness and rucking . We are also in the process of tracking down a land nave course .
    Thanks again .
    You're trying to over prepare him. Like said above all the DIs and other instructors would rather have blank canvases to work with. Overpreparing him is going to open him to scrutiny for being a know it all. Just focus on fitness, everything else will fall in to place at bootcamp.

Training a prospective marine.

Yell at him, LOUDLY.
    Call him a maggot.
    Make him do pushups and "bend and thrusts".
    Call him a worthless worm.
    Teach him that his girlfriend is "Suzy Rottencrotch back on the block".
    Call him useless.

Did I miss anything ?

Reactions: MAC702
    Training a prospective marine.

Yell at him, LOUDLY.
    Call him a maggot.
    Make him do pushups and "bend and thrusts".
    Call him a worthless worm.
    Teach him that his girlfriend is "Suzy Rottencrotch back on the block".
    Call him useless.

Did I miss anything ?
    Do all of the above randomly to include the middle of the night.
    Run everywhere you go and when you get there, stand around and do nothing for about an hour.

Reactions: MAC702
    As a Marine Veteran (Vietnam), former Marine Corps League Department (NJ) Shooting Competition Program Chairman, and Youth Program Leader (BSA) for several decades, I strongly urge you to allow The Corps to handle your Son's training regimen. Their basic approach is to work on the assumption that the Raw Recruit has no prior training or experience. No matter how sure you are that you can give him an edge at becoming a successful Marine, attempting to do so will effectively defeat the purpose of his recruit training experience.

The key competency he will achieve in Recruit Training will be in forging his position as an integral part of the group. This you cannot do for him and must not attempt to circumvent. It is something that Marine Recruits must achieve together.

Let us assume that you disagree and commit yourself to help him find that edge, and that you succeed. His fellow recruits will resent his superior ability, and the net consequence of your efforts will be to have alienated him from that group with which he must bond.

Young Marine Recruits are routinely given tasks at which they are intended to fail. That failure is necessary and integral to their training process. By insulating him against such failures, you do not aid his success; and could be sewing within him seeds of failures beyond those which the Recruit Training programs are prepared to resolve. In essence, you make the DI's job harder.

Allow him to enjoy his time before induction, he'll look back and wish he'd had twice as much; and he will arrive at Recruit Training Battalion in precisely the condition his Drill Instructors are best prepared to receive him.

Only The Corps can make a Marine.

Greg Langelius USMC 1966-1968

ETA 1/24/23 When I arrived at PI in 1966, I was already an NRA Junior Rimfire Rifle Expert, and had competed (I.e. earned my Team Sports letter both years) for two years on the high school's CMP team. The effect that had on my own experience in Boot Camp parallels the conjecture I make above.

Last edited: