• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CO Rifle Club (CRC) Long Range Precision Rifle

Quickdraw40

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 6, 2010
Colorado
A long range rifle match available to the Colorado front range shooters.

Match Date: 4th Saturdays.

Here are the details for your review. Don't expect all prairie dog targets but comparable shooting challenges with a bit of extended range (out to 500m/547yds).

LR Precision Format Match, Held by/at The Colorado Rifle Club.
Another shooting sport discipline added to the CRC’s pro-shooting sports principles.

See www.crci.org for the Colorado Rifle Club specifics including directions, club information, membership applications, and calendar of events. It’s a great shooting venue.

CRC is approximately 15 minutes NE of Byers, CO (on I-70). Approximately 45 mins East of I-70 & Gun Club Road (near the Aurora Gun Club).

Match Directors: RJ (quickdraw40) & Ken (k2peaker)

Location: Colorado Rifle Club (CRC) in Byers, CO CRC Silhouette Range (between the East range and the 1000 yd range)

Date: Regular monthly matches will be the 4th Saturday of every month (weather permitting)

Time: 2 strings: First at 9:00AM MT Start Sharp (Must pre-register (jessdussart@hotmail) after 12:00 noon the Monday before the match (8 am set-up), Second 12:00ishPM MT start

Total Rounds: 48

Concept: This match is based upon Pueblo West’s Prairie Dog matches. Differences are that we will shoot targets ranging in size and shape from distances of 200 meters (219 yards) to 500 meters (547 yards). As we will be shooting on CRC’s Silhouette range, our targets will need to be placed in front of the available silhouette berms.

This is an excellent shooting venue that fits the LR Precision Rifle format well, within the limitations of a fixed range. To begin, we’ll keep it simple like Pueblo West’s matches. Our primary safety limitation is keeping targets in front of the silhouette berms (misses to impact downrange berms).

The CRC Silhouette range has a slightly elevated shooting line with a few concrete benches but many concrete pads for prone shooting. Prone will be encouraged but benches are available.

All berms / targets will be visible from all designated shooting positions.

Distance of berms – targets will be placed close to the following berm distances:
200m or 219 yards,
300m or 328 yards,
385m or 421 yards, and
500m or 547 yards.

Targets:
Four Stages consisting of engaging 12 Steel Targets ranging from 219-547 yards shot under time constraints.

Target sizes will range from steel lolly pops, prairie dogs to reactive 10" steel rockers (www.proplatetargets.com).

Match Fee: $15 entry fee (per gun), Juniors (under 18) free

One shot per target. No make-up shots.

No penalties for misses, only points earned for hits.

15 total seconds allowed per shot. Targets hit within the first 10 seconds are worth 10 points. Hits between 10.01 seconds and 15.00 seconds are worth 5 points.

Procedure: Shooters start prone or sitting behind rifle with bolt/action open, bolt or action manipulation is required after the start signal. Multiple shooters shall not be on the line with loaded rifles. The intent is on precision over speed within reasonable constraints to keep the match moving along.
Upon start signal shooter may load rifle and engage target.

Divisions – Heavy rifle, 12+ pounds; Light rifle, under 12 pounds; Semi-Auto rifle; Pistol.

Accessories: Scopes, bi-pods, sandbags, rests, rear bags, monopods, muzzle brakes, laser rangefinders allowed. Suppressors specifically allowed and encouraged. Rests: the intent is “tactical” therefore we prefer folks not show up with Sleds and F-Class style bipods, they might be allowed on an individual basis (especially for new shooters, but will not be allowed over an extended period of time). Harris, Atlas, or Sinclair Tactical bipods are the standard. Bring your own shooting mat, a couple of mats/carpet pads might be available for new shooters.

40 gn minimum bullet weight and 210 gn max bullet weight at 3200fps max velocity is allowed. But, be sure to check the bullet weight and velocity. We are adding the 3200fps limitation due to the fact that we would like the steel to last a full season. And, to begin with, much of the steel will be personally donated. Note: CRC does not allow .50BMG or Full Auto – neither would meet the criteria for this match anyway.

Steel Core, Armor-Piercing and Tracer/Incendiary ammo specifically *NOT* allowed. $100 fine per target that is damaged with above ammo. If you are shooting ammo that you did not load, check it with a magnet to make sure it isn’t steel core. If you damage the steel, you just bought it and it will get you DQ’d from the match.

Match re-entries are allowed (2nd guns especially in a different division).

RJ or Ken will open the main gate by 8:00AM. Please leave the gate at you found it (usually open). Drive straight up the main entrance; Silhouette range is basically straight ahead (OK, a little jog to the left). East range pistol berms will be to your right.

Odds-n-Ends:
Can non-CRC members compete? Yes
CRC Liability release will need to be signed one time per year.

Expect the shooting to end by 3PM MT.

Sight-in shots are not allowed before the match unless you are a CRC member and go to a different range on the property. If you are not a CRC member, you may be able to grab someone who is that is willing to take you as a guest to the Schuetzen (100 yd & 200 yd berms) or other range. Do not set up centerfire rifle targets on the pistol berms on the East range.

Prevailing winds: it can be windy at CRC but they are mostly Southerly or Northerly winds (Tail or Head). We are shooting due North.

Please insure your firearm is unloaded and be aware of where you muzzle is pointed while coming to or leaving the shooting line.

No handling of firearms while persons are downrange.

There is no running water at the range. Porta-potties are available.

Target distances will be provided to the shooters (Range finders are allowed but not required.)

Spotting and the final decision on hit/miss will be done by the designated spotter.

Safety glasses and ear protection is required at all times (even for your guests).

What to bring:
Firearm with scope (.243 to 30-06 recommended)
Ammo (50-60 rds)
Ballistic Data (minimim dope required for the berm distances posted)
Bipod or other front rest (pack)
Rear Bean Bag
Shooting mat
Water/Lunch/Snack
Eye and Ear Protection

Re: CO Rifle Club (CRC) Long Range Precision Rifle

Roughly what are the dimensions of the prairie dog targets?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Msr_762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roughly what are the dimensions of the prairie dog targets? </div></div>

5" x 11"

This sounds like a good time. I'll have to give it a go after April.

Any chance of bumping the bullet weight to 180gr? Specifically to include the 178gr amax? I reload to save as much cash as I can, but those amax rounds perform nearly identical to the 175 matchkings but they're an easy 6-8 bucks cheaper per box.

Not that I couldn't load some 175s for the match but is the 178 that much a stretch?

Depending on what the plans are with the gf's family that day I will try and make that, it sounds like a lot of fun! I'd be interested in helping expand the program too if you guys want to PM me. We can exchange emails and I will try to help where I can!

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any chance of bumping the bullet weight to 180gr? Specifically to include the 178gr amax? I reload to save as much cash as I can, but those amax rounds perform nearly identical to the 175 matchkings but they're an easy 6-8 bucks cheaper per box.

Not that I couldn't load some 175s for the match but is the 178 that much a stretch?

Depending on what the plans are with the gf's family that day I will try and make that, it sounds like a lot of fun! I'd be interested in helping expand the program too if you guys want to PM me. We can exchange emails and I will try to help where I can!

Rich </div></div>

Rich, We are changing the maximum bullet weight to 210 gr to allow the 208 gr Amaxs. Thank you, looking forward to meeting you at a match.

Bullet weight issue: a reasonable bump up to 210 grains to hopefully include most of the standard .30 cal loads.
Just keep in mind, we'll have some (smaller) targets fairly close at the 200m (217 yds) backstop. And, since it's personal steel, we'd prefer not to chew it up too badly.
It's good that Rich raised the issue because we certainly wouldn't want someone shooting a pretty standard .30 load to either not show up or have to create a special load for this match.

After a few months worth of matches, we'll expand our steel stable.

Hey folks,
Just a reminder that the first CRC LRPR match will be this Sunday at CRC.

Format: likely you'll need 40-50 rounds and we may have a special side match (conducted immediately after the main match). If you're planning on shooting the Main and Side match, bring 60 rounds.

Bullet Weight: we upped the bullet weight max (to 210 gr.) so we're not excluding some common .30 caliber loads. Again, the main concern is chewing up our steel especially at the closer distances.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bzinbv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USPSA now PD, CRC is getting modern, cool. </div></div>

IPSC match there last weekend had 70 competitors.

I was going to give it a try but it looks like the post office lost the bolt for my rifle. I sent it out for fluting 3 weeks ago. It has been in transit for over 2 weeks. This sucks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maccrazy2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was going to give it a try but it looks like the post office lost the bolt for my rifle. I sent it out for fluting 3 weeks ago. It has been in transit for over 2 weeks. This sucks! </div></div>

I'd loan you a rifle, but I am waiting on my new scope. Come out and watch or we'll catch you next time.

No Easter plans on my end or my GF's so I plan to be there. Probably be around on Friday too confirming my dope and using the chrono to double check my load. I just switched to the 178 amax'eseses after finishing my last box of 175 matchkings.

Looking forward to it, I think its going to be a lot of fun!

Rich

May have sorted out the bolt issue. (depending on if the replacement headspaces ok) If so I will be there. I just changed my scope rings so I will have to get up early and hit the other range but that shouldent take but a few minutes.
Any idea of how many people you expect?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maccrazy2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was going to give it a try but it looks like the post office lost the bolt for my rifle. I sent it out for fluting 3 weeks ago. It has been in transit for over 2 weeks. This sucks! </div></div>
I won't use the USPS for shipping anything. I had a similar experience and bottom line is they just don't care. UPS or FedEx gives you a tracking number and you can follow your shipment every step of the way. Hope they find your bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maccrazy2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Any idea of how many people you expect? </div></div>
20-40....?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gvanhyning</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maccrazy2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was going to give it a try but it looks like the post office lost the bolt for my rifle. I sent it out for fluting 3 weeks ago. It has been in transit for over 2 weeks. This sucks! </div></div>
I won't use the USPS for shipping anything. I had a similar experience and bottom line is they just don't care. UPS or FedEx gives you a tracking number and you can follow your shipment every step of the way. Hope they find your bolt. </div></div>
I got the bolt today and it closes on the go gauge so, I am in buisness. I will be there on sunday.
This is the first time I have had an issue with the post office loosing a package. I over insured it and added delivery confirmation when I shipped it. On the way back it was not insured. Shipping was included in the price of the work and was arranged by the gunsmith. Chad from longrifles inc. was the one who did the work. He made it right and sent me a new bolt to use untill mine shows up or to keep if it never makes it. I know he was not happy about eating the cost of the bolt but he took care of it and I glad he puts his customers first. My bolt was threadded for a knob but that is no big deal. I will hold off on having this one done in the hopes mine may still arrive at some point.

Its kicking off about ten. Im gonna be there around 9 to check my zero if anybody else needs to that isnt a member, i can run you over to the schutzen range to zero.

Rich

So, I did a dumb thing today. I left my range bag / backpack at the range today. If any picked it up, could you please either PM or call me.

Just wanted to thank Ken and RJ again for putting on the match today. It was a lot of fun and everybody showed up ready to shoot, no slouches on the line.

Thanks again guys, looking forward to the match next month!

Rich

Thank you all for the great turn-out!

Thank you to Ken, Jess, Lane, Destiny, Jon, Fritz, and James for all of the help with set-up/tear down.

Thank you everyone for helping with ROing, scoring, spotting.

We might go to a staggered start similar to Pueblo's match next month, stay tuned.

Heavy Rifle
Name Score
1 James V 320
2 Jon B 310
3 Tom P 300
3 RJ D 300
5 Emil K 290
5 Jess D 290
7 Fritz A 280
8 Stan S 260
9 Ken K 250
10 Rich Z 240
11 Greg V 220
11 Chris B 220
13 Lane D 190
14 Richard S 140
15 Bill M 80
16 Matt P 65

Semi-Auto Rifle
Shooter Score
1 Ken K 330
2 Ron F 300
3 Big Bob 110
4 Jason W 20

Light Rifle
Shooter Score
1 Lil' Bob 210
2 Josh S 190
3 Robert W 20

I purposely put Semi-Auto rifle second and didn't do an overall so it wasn't so obvious Ken beat us all with a gas gun (even himself).....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Msr_762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, I did a dumb thing today. I left my range bag / backpack at the range today. If any picked it up, could you please either PM or call me. 7204451351

Matt </div></div>

Done.

OK, great to see that QD40 already responded on the range bag.

For the folks that follow the Hide more than COAR-15, my added comments:
Not to sound too redundant but I want to echo RJ's appreciation to everyone that came out today. It was a great start especially on a Holiday.

The RJ and Jess clan did a ton of work to get this kicked off the right way. My biggest regret is that we ran out of time to do the side match after RJ & Jess put so much thought and effort into it -- it would have been fun.
And, many thanks to the support and encouragement from the CRC BOD, especially Bill, Dennis, & Al (we'll have to get those guys to join this forum).
Hoser for the match concept, flow, and the loan of his spotter.
Our WHAC brothers (Cy and Juan) for the loan of the Pdogs and support.
Not to make this sound like a epithet...it's just the beginning.

Future:
So, we'll do a review of the match and process through all the learnings and suggestions. Again, we appreciate everyone bearing with a few kinks in the first match. We can make the flow better by looking at squadding options and the two staggered starts like RJ mentioned.
We'll also look at some target options based on what we learned today. Stay tuned, much more to come from the CRC LRPR crew!

RJ,Jess, Ken:

Thank all of you that out a ton of work and effort into the match. It was a ton of fun and what a great turn out. Lots of new faces and good shooters. Thanks!

I had a good time. I am looking forward to the next one. I expect the side match would be a go for most of us in the future. Being a holiday I am sure alot of us had dinners to get to. I also liked the start time for the match. Thanks guys!

RJ & Jess, thanks for picking up my range bag! I have a lot fun shooting the match and looking forward to next month.

Sat, May 28th CRC LRPR Match

Just a reminder that the next CRC LRPR match will be held on Saturday, May 28th. This is our regular, 4th Saturday of the month slot.

All of the information posted on the first page of this thread still apply. Pay special attention to the rules on velocity restrictions. From our last match we had one shooter that was slightly pitting the hanging steel at 500m/547yds. This is AR500 steel that was hanging and we still had some deformation. Please, err on the side of slowing up those velocities. It's the speed that kills the steel (and steel core ammo, of course). Make sure you know your ammo!

What's new?
We will hopefully have some new target designs that we'll be stretching the legs of this month. They are from ProPlate targets in AZ if you want to get an idea of the design/size/etc (www.proplatetargets.com).
We'll be using a combo of their Dawgs, 5" & 6" Lollies, and a couple 10"x17" Rockers. RJ will be picking them up from the Albuqurque Tactical match this weekend. They're a simple, easy to transport design that will hopefully work well with the CRC berms.
Our intent is to have all reactive steel and lose the hanging steel as it was a disadvantage of shooting it in quick succession if you weren't the first on the squad to engage it.

We'll also be working on our squadding and getting the match to flow a bit quicker. We'll be trying slightly larger squad sizes (7) and a quicker pace shooter-to-shooter but with the larger squads you'll still have plenty of time to dial your dope and get on the next target. Also, we'll work on getting a squad leader assigned for each squad so a RO, Spotter, Scorekeeper are ready to go. As a given squad is shooting their last berm of targets, we'll want the next squad to be getting into position. The goal is reduce the squad to squad time to only the amount of time it takes to switch spotters.

With these tweaks, we should easily be able to handle the number of folks we expect and get the full 4x12shots in.
C'mon out if you can!

Re: Sat, May 28th CRC LRPR Match

Sounds like fun, does anyone have a range layout or pic of the targets in relation to the shooters position?

Re: Sat, May 28th CRC LRPR Match

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roggom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like fun, does anyone have a range layout or pic of the targets in relation to the shooters position?
</div></div>

There are berms at 219, 328, 421, and 547 yards. Three steel targets 1/3 way up on each berm. Pretty flat on the eastern plains. Hope to see you there!

Lolly Pop Match is ON this Saturday!!!!

We have new steel (www.proplatetargets.com) and we have been tweaking the procedure to secure a swift progression through the match. We hope to see everyone this Saturday!

Re: Match is ON this Saturday!!!!

Just found out we have another donation (this time from a CRC Board member) so, we will be having a another random drawing this month. This time for 100 pieces of new Winchester 308 brass. See you there!

Thank you all for the great turn-out (again)!

Thank you to Ken, Jess, Lane, Stan, Tom, Jon, Bill, Fritz, and James for all of the help with set-up/tear down.

May 2011 Results

Name Action Class Score
1 Ken K Bolt Heavy 380 1st Heavy Bolt
2 Shane C Bolt Heavy 350 2nd Heavy Bolt (tie)
3 James V Bolt Heavy 350 2nd Heavy Bolt (tie)
4 Brian W Bolt Heavy 350 2nd Heavy Bolt (tie)
5 Fritz A Bolt Heavy 320
6 Tom P Bolt Heavy 320
7 Jess D Bolt Heavy 310
8 Ken K Auto 280 1st Auto
9 Chris M Bolt Heavy 280
10 J Beck Bolt Heavy 260
11 RJ D Bolt Heavy 260
12 Greg F Bolt Light 250 1st Light Bolt
13 Justin K Auto 250 2nd Auto
14 Matthew P Bolt Heavy 240
15 Jared Q Bolt Light 220 2nd Light Bolt
16 Stan S Bolt Heavy 210
17 Bill S Bolt Light 200 3rd Light Bolt
18 Bill M Auto 200 3rd Auto
19 David K Bolt Heavy 200
20 Gary P Bolt Heavy 200
21 Chris M Auto 180
22 Aaron F Bolt Heavy 140
23 Richard S Bolt Heavy 140
24 Benn M Bolt Heavy 130
25 Lane D Bolt Heavy DNF

The new targets are GREAT. They all held up well enough to give us years of use before we can just flip them around because of their great design and then we can use them even more. With 25 shooters, each target took upwards of 100 hits yesterday (well, maybe not the 5" p. dog at 500m.... ;-) ).

Jess, RJ, Ken:

What a hoot!! Really had a good time. Thanks to all of you for all the time and hard work you put into this match. Jess the cake was outstanding.

I'm envious... I was planing on coming this weekend but sold my 6.5 Grendel and didn't get my new rifle's upper in time. My work schedule doesn't line up with the match dates until August now...

Does anyone know if anything else similar besides in Pueblo? I'm in Loveland so something North of the Springs would be nice!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know if anything else similar besides in Pueblo? I'm in Loveland so something North of the Springs would be nice! </div></div>

http://www.wildlifehunters.com/steeldogs.htm

http://www.sportingriflematch.com/

We are lucky enough in Colorado to have a long range rifle match every weekend now. The WHAC match would be closest to you. See you there.

Thanks for the info on the Steel Dogs shoot. That will give me some flexibility in my schedule and hopefully get out to a long range match.

Enjoyed shooting this match for the first time. Lesson learned, shooting 2 guns makes your neck hurt. Lesson 2 don't use your 308 dope accidentally on your 243, you will shoot very high!
We shot some of these:
RockerGraphic.jpg

Some of these:
P-Dawg_Thumb.jpg

And some of these:
6R-Lolly_Thumb.jpg

And I thought the targets did very well, I didn't see anything shots that I couldn't easily tell if it was a hit or not.

Here is a pic of some of the shooters:
5769856651_72714d8403_z.jpg

And the range:
5770398194_a90b55e411_z.jpg

The wind kept it interesting as the scores show.

Kudos to Ken, RJ & Jess for running a great match. Hard to believe it was only the second one as it went very smoothly.

Frank, We'll have the match every month, weather permitting. There will be a conflict with a State Silhouette match in August we are working to schedule around. We would love to see you there.

Damn... I was planning on coming in August. Will you post updates in this thread or start a new one when you figure out the schedule?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn... I was planning on coming in August. Will you post updates in this thread or start a new one when you figure out the schedule? </div></div>

We'll post all updates on this thread. This will be the one point contact for the on-going match.

Hey Shane,

We appreciate you coming down and shooting.

I was pleased with how the new targets worked out, the size of them from a challenge perspective, etc. I thought with the wind, it was exactly the type of wind reading practice match (for Raton and SS and others) we had envisioned when planning it.
Anyway, we'll continue to fine tune and add some side match challenges over the next few months.

Quickdraw40 [url="http://www.wildlifehunters.com/steeldogs.htm" said:
http://www.wildlifehunters.com/steeldogs.htm[/url]

The <span style="font-weight: bold">WHAC match </span>would be closest to you.

Oh snap, I grew up and currently live ten minutes from there and never even knew there was a range there. I hope to see you there on June 11!!
Anyone can show up for events?
Is there a locking gate to get in?

Sorry to get off topic, I plan to attend the CRC match as well
smile.gif

Thanks!
_DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Quickdraw40 [url="http://www.wildlifehunters.com/steeldogs.htm" said:
http://www.wildlifehunters.com/steeldogs.htm[/url]

The <span style="font-weight: bold">WHAC match </span>would be closest to you.

Oh snap, I grew up and currently live ten minutes from there and never even knew there was a range there. I hope to see you there on June 11!!
Anyone can show up for events?
Is there a locking gate to get in?

Sorry to get off topic, I plan to attend the CRC match as well
smile.gif

Thanks!
_DT </div></div>

Anyone is welcome at the WHAC match. It is a private range, but the gate will be open the day of the match.