• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Co-witnessing a scope on an AR

thefiremeister

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Nevada
I'm looking at a new upper and am trying to decide on a barrel with an A2 front sight or a barrel with no front sight.

My thought was to get a red dot and co witness the dot and the front sight to keep things simple but then I got to over thinking things and was looking at a 1x4 scope and have that co witnessed with the front sight.

Has any one tried, successfully, co witnessing a scope ( like a Vortex PST ) and a A2 front sight?

I plan on using it for 3 gun and shooting out to 600 yards every once in a while

Re: Co-witnessing a scope on an AR

With a 1-4 scope and a fixed front sight you will see the sight at 1-2 power, but it will seem to disappear at 4 power. This works OK, but my experience was that I really didn't want the FS in the way limiting my field of view at low power.

All my flat top AR's have F&R BUIS for use with red dots and optics.

The red dots are absolute co-witness, with the BUIS up, the dot sits right on top of the front sight post.

I am over 50 and wear bifocals, so too much stuff in my FOV gets too complicated for the eye to focus on.

My .02 anyway, hope it helps

Good info and thats what I had in mind for a red dot but what about using a 1x4 scope?

It seems to me the base would get in the way and negate any advantage a scope would give you but I wanted to see if anyone has tried it.

If all you're doing is 3-gunning and casual shouting, I don't think I would bother with BUIS.

I had a a Leatherwood CMR 1-4 on a SIG 556 with a factory fixed front sight.

I got the ring height perfect so the scope co-witnessed the front sight at 1X and focused beyond it at 4X.

I didn't like seeing the front sight at 1X, and to me it did somewhat negate having the scope.

Scope/red dot & FR BUIS is the best of both worlds to me.

I use an ACOG and I thought the front sight would bother me, it is blurry and in the FOV, but really does not distract my ability to scan and shoot. You could always get the standard front sight and change it later if compelled to.

I've been back and forth on this. I first tried co-witnessing an 2X ACOG on an AR. I didn't like it much and ended up taking the FSB off and using a gas block with a BUIS. Since then I have another AR and AK both co-witnessed with T1's and I've come to like it... but I do understand where the guys are coming from who don't want anything in their field of view. If the primary optic goes down, flip the throw levers and deploy the BUIS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MM1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been back and forth on this. I first tried co-witnessing an 2X ACOG on an AR. I didn't like it much and ended up taking the FSB off and using a gas block with a BUIS. Since then I have another AR and AK both co-witnessed with T1's and I've come to like it... but I do understand where the guys are coming from who don't want anything in their field of view. If the primary optic goes down, flip the throw levers and deploy the BUIS. </div></div>

I don't think I'd mind seeing the FSB in my view at close range but if I go for a longer shot say 400 to 600 yards and want to hold over the target it would most likely disappear. I have not used a red dot yet and don't know how those are at longer ranges.

Decisions decisions.

i use a meopta 1x4 for 3gun. Why do you need to see an iron sight for close shots if your scope is a true 1x? I only ask because I played the iron sight transition game in 3gun for a bit but I am much happier with a true 1x and no irons. I shoot it like a red dot sight for close targets and can still run the scope to 4x and shoot out to 600

I think I over thought the whole deal the other day. I got to thinking about the long shots and wasn't sure how a red dot would do at 400 to 600 yards

The original plan was to go with a red dot for closer in to keep it simple but I really like the idea of a scope for the longer shots

Co-witness is bullshit- don't even bother with it.

You will not want iron sights visible with a 1-4x scope.

A fixed front sight is a blurry, annoying distraction when your scope is 1-2x. It will block some of your field of view and will fight with/obscure your aiming point.
At 3-4x you wont see the front sight anymore.

I guess the point is: if you want fixed front sights, you either want a red dot with no magnification or an optic with atleast 3x magnification. Otherwise its a compremise.

Frankly, if you want a scope, get flip up BUIS and QR scope rings/base and your set.