• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

COAL question on .308 700p

Varmint_Poontang

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2009
Bacliff, TX
I measured my maximum COAL for my rifle with a 168 SMK and I am 2.350 to the lands, this would make my case .130 longer than my standard load of 2.800 which sits 2.220 at the ogive. That would only leave me with about .15 of the bullet being gripped by the case neck, how would I control runout? Is that even an issue? I am curious if anyone uses a load of similar length and if they have any reloading problems unique to this type of extended length load.

It's a very common issue or condition of factory r em 700. They are throated deep to accept any 308 load know to man. Just load out to 2.8 ish, 2.850 ish and shoot. Enjoy

I ave actually been wondering about this as well. I'm in a similar situation and I'm not sure how this would affect my load development. I'm limited by my AI magazine length as well

When I worked up my load for my 700 factory barrel and chamber, I found I got my best accuracy at maximum mag length. So I just went with that. I may get better accuracy with longer rounds, but don't want to deal with single feeding.

You have two choices, 1) Live with it, 2) Rechamber or rebarrel the rifle.

Well I'm not a bench rest shooter, I just hunt and occasionally try to tag the steel at long ranges. I am happy with my standard load but I can't help but try all the variables. Speak338 is right, my factory throat could make Linda Lovelace jealous and without a ridiculously long bullet I probably won't be loading a maximum CBTO for my gun. Thanks for the replies anyways.

years ago I had a win M70 HV with a long throat. I was shooting 155g 2155's in it. There was little bullet in the case but a stout charge of N135 was enough to shoot a 193/200 and 194/200 at 1K at Perry that year. I only had standard dies at the time and did not prep the brass well to reduce runout. I measured runout, marked the high spot on the case, and loaded the rounds high spot up when I shot them. Not sure if it helped or not when I did that. With a 168g sierra, jumping the bullet will not be an issue.

In my exp jump only matter with certain bullets. Some such as SMK don't care as much about jump. Certain bergers such as the 155.5 fullbore must be seated at the grooves to expect any accuracy.