• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

COAL Question.

Vin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2004
I am new to reloading and was using a Hornady OAL Length gauge in an attempt to find the COAL for my particular rifle. Its a .308 Remington 700 with a Rock Creek barrel andI was trying it several times, practicing in an attempt to get consistent readings. The bullet I was using was a 155 gr scenar and I kept getting an average reading of 2.855" from case head to bullet tip with a dial caliper. Checking the Speer manual it indicates a max COAL of 2.810". Is that for all .308 bullets or just the Speer as it is a Speer manual. Am I out to lunch or can the oal be more than manual indicates due to the fact I am using a different bullet. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but "I gots to know" Thanks for your patience.

Re: COAL Question.

Your measurement of 2.855" is your max coal with bullet just touching the lands. Now the question is what do you want with your load, bullet touching, jammed, or off the lands? Also make sure you max col will fit your magazine. Any time the bullet is close to the lands it raises pressure, so becareful loading and start low. Hope this helps.

Re: COAL Question.

Will you be loading the mag or single feeding? You will need to stay within your published coal (or measure the actual mag length) in order to mag feed. I only mag feed the hunting rifle, and single feed the match rifle.