• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

COAL vs Magazine Depth

davsco

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2014
NoVa
so i have a 10-round Accurate mag on order that doesn't have the binder plate and they say it is 2.950 cartridge depth. what is the longest you'd load rounds with that to ensure they don't bind?

so i have a 10-round Accurate mag on order that doesn't have the binder plate and they say it is 2.950 cartridge depth. what is the longest you'd load rounds with that to ensure they don't bind?

....bullet choice needs to be considered as some bullets are longer than others although the weights are the same and the type of ogive is also a factor. Measurements of the COAL (cartridge base to bullet tip) is determined by your magazines "depth", but the measurement of the CBTO (cartridge base to bullet ogive) will determine bullet seating depth for amount of "jam" desired, which can affect magazine fit.

Last edited:
A .010 space works for me. But the magazines are not super consistent, some are longer and some are shorter than the 2.950. And sometimes it is shorter deeper in the mag than right at the top where you can measure it easily. I’ve had mags that run fine with maybe 4 or 5 rounds, but if you push them below that, they drag or bind. If you are going to use them in a match, make sure you check them fully loaded first.

Reactions: davsco