• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coating Bullets

brianf

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2010
NY
i originally posted this in the ELR thread...bunch of looks but no comments

Does anyone coat bullets with HBM/TBN/HEX etc?

do you coat the bore?

do you coat the bullet?

i have read so many different opinions on how, why, yes, no, but most are contradicting (many of those contradicting on this site as well)

what seems to be a common theme:

because its more slippery you need to up the charge to regain lost speed

unlike old original "moly" there dosnt seem to be a barrel build up issue

there is no change to BC (if coating the bullets) other than a BC change that may come from higher velocity

cold bore shot is closer to "groups"

any info is appreciated

brian

My experience with coating bullets:

It's a mess.

Otherwise no notable difference. I'd be curious to try it again with the testing equipment I have available now that I didn't before, but it is a goddamn hassle and mess. The loss in friction drops pressure which drops velocity. You then have to stuff the case full of powder to regain the lost velocity. I'm curious to know if it has any benefit in ES/SD because if there was a benefit, that's where it'd be-- NOT increased velocity IMO. Knowing what I know now, I don't believe there's any such thing as 'free' velocity.

Reactions: Supersubes
I coat the bullet with HBN not the bore.

If I'm flirting with pressure signs with my load because I'm chasing the higher velocity node, I can usually reach that desired higher velocity node without the subsequent pressure signs with coated HBN bullets.

Yes, you need to up the charge to regain the velocity, however, in my experience it seems as though chamber pressure drops more than the subsequent drop in velocity with HBN coated bullets. Note: I have no way of actually measuring this other than just using the common signs of a hot load (sticky bolt, cratered primer, ejector marks, etc.).

To me it makes more sense to think of it as a tool, ingredient, or method to take the pressure off your hot loads rather than having to accept a (much) lower but safer velocity node.

I don't bother with HBN otherwise.

Reactions: NamibHunter
My experience with coating bullets:

It's a mess.

Otherwise no notable difference. I'd be curious to try it again with the testing equipment I have available now that I didn't before, but it is a goddamn hassle and mess. The loss in friction drops pressure which drops velocity. You then have to stuff the case full of powder to regain the lost velocity. I'm curious to know if it has any benefit in ES/SD because if there was a benefit, that's where it'd be-- NOT increased velocity IMO. Knowing what I know now, I don't believe there's any such thing as 'free' velocity.
thanks i was hoping you would chime in, you seem to be one of the few who actually tries to limit variables when testing

so in your opinion..

current load "max" - mild or no pressure signs
moly - less velocity
increase powder charge to - regain lost velocity

do you see pressure signs with the new increased powder charge while trying to regain the velocity lost?

or do you think you can push it and gain velocity over the original?

If I'm flirting with pressure signs with my load because I'm chasing the higher velocity node, I can usually reach that desired higher velocity node without the subsequent pressure signs with coated HBN bullets.

Yes, you need to up the charge to regain the velocity, however, in my experience it seems as though chamber pressure drops more than the subsequent drop in velocity with HBN coated bullets. Note: I have no way of actually measuring this other than just using the common signs of a hot load (sticky bolt, cratered primer, ejector marks, etc.).

To me it makes more sense to think of it as a tool, ingredient, or method to take the pressure off your hot loads rather than having to accept a (much) lower but safer velocity node.

ok so its along the same line of thinking as above

this information is with regular cup core ammo correct?

i wonder if a barnes/solid/mono would act differently, deforms more, driving bands etc

thanks

Yup, cup core bullets (ELDM's, AMAX, VMAX, SMK, TMK, and FMJ-BT) with HBN. No experience with monolithics coated with HBN. I think theoretically any bullet with a longer bearing surface would produce a higher sustained pressure curve (the entire length of the barrel) but not likely to have noticeable difference in chamber pressures. I don't know if anyone has ever measured this but I also don't think it matters except in semi-autos without adjustable gas blocks.

In my opinion if your current load is nowhere near pressure limits, no point in coating bullets unless you want to experiment and see if you can reach that next node. I don't push to gain velocity over the original uncoated high velocity/high pressure node as I've always reached pressure limits before hitting the next higher velocity node. No pressure signs with the increased powder charge.

TLDR:
Ex. 1 (What I do)
  1. Max load non-coated - mild or obvious pressure signs but good SD/ES
  2. Coat bullet + increase powder charge = same velocity as before with good SD/ES but now without pressure signs or only mild pressure signs.
Ex. 2 (What I've experimented with but always resulted in failure)
  1. Highest charge load with good SD/ES load with no pressure signs
  2. Increase powder charge to search for next velocity node, now have mild pressure or obvious signs but still haven't reached the velocity node (SD/ES worse)
  3. Coat bullet to decrease pressure + increase powder charge to see if the next node is just right over that edge
  4. Potentially reach that new higher velocity node with good SD/ES with or without pressure signs or experiment fails and you never do reach that node as you hit the pressure limit even with coated bullets.

Last edited:
thanks i was hoping you would chime in, you seem to be one of the few who actually tries to limit variables when testing

so in your opinion..

current load "max" - mild or no pressure signs
moly - less velocity
increase powder charge to - regain lost velocity

do you see pressure signs with the new increased powder charge while trying to regain the velocity lost?

or do you think you can push it and gain velocity over the original?

I don't have specific pressure and velocity data on it. I'll ask around I might know some folks who do.

You may ultimately be able to run slightly faster with coated bullets, but you're going to burn more powder doing so.

Again, my opinion is that it's extra processes, extra mess, and you burn more powder to achieve almost the same thing. There may be some merit to it but I'm not convinced it's worth it.

Have seen the same with 144 gn Berger Hybrids in 6.5 CM, MPA BA comp rifle, 26”. I needed 0.6 gn of additional H4350 to regain the prior uncoated speed (where the “lower” node is). But now the case neck and most of the shoulder were both covered in soot. Sign of lower than adequate pressure to seal off the case against the chamber. Some kernels got in there and left dents in a few of the case walls. Primers are very rounded, looks like a starting load.

Have not yet pushed this load to its new max. Might go look for the higher node at some point.

Have developed an optimized RL-17 load (not my favorite powder, too temp sensitive, but it is what i have). This was for the Barnes 145 Matchburner bullet: I hit sticky bolt lift at 3020 fps, an eye watering speed for such a heavy bullet, even from a 26” barrel, but this was clearly over-pressure: Lapua case heads expanded 0.2 thou in one firing (micrometer measurement). Case life would have been 2-3 reloads max. So backed way off, and found a nice wide node at 2910 fps, primers now have rounded edges, no cratering, no hard bolt lift, so zero pressure signs. But note that it is an old barrel (2,000 rounds) with lands that have moved forward a lot. So more chamber volume by the time the bullet comes to a stop in the grooves.

IMHO, HBN is fairly easy to do, compared to Moly. But it has pros and cons, and is not for everybody:

Negatives:

1) Load data in the books become fairly useless to you. You have to write your own book.

2) You have to put more powder into the case, and if the case fill is already over 90 or 95%, you either end up with a compressed load, which is not ideal, or it just won’t fit and then you are forced to try a different powder. I managed to stay with the same powders so far, but i have to settle them with an ultrasonic tooth brush before seating. You still hear a tiny crunch.

3) You have to be meticulous in how you coat the bullets, or they come out looking different, and speed can then move by 10-15 fps and push you out of the node.

4) Don’t mix bullets from different coating batches, or SD can double. See point 3 for the reasons why.

5) Don’t forget your coated bullets in the bottle, they will rust/corrode, due to the anti copper fouling agent in the Tubb HBN mix. That is probably where the ammonia smell comes from when you open the bottle.

6) Once a gun has been seasoned, which takes 20-40 rounds, you try to avoid cleaning it too often. Which in practice means all bullets you want to run in that gun now need to be coated. You have to commit. Yes you can give up and clean out the HBN, but you can’t switch every week. Takes too many rounds to season a barrel.

7) You will likely use 4-6% more powder than before, so a slight cost increase.

8) Is barrel life better or worse? Who knows! Pressure can be lower, but you are burning slightly more powder than before. I really don’t know the answer to that.

Upside is:

1) You get the same/similar cold bore speed and point of impact, the hole is usually “in the group”. But not always, just more frequently than before. Useful for hunting applications.

2) You can get more speed if you push up the powder load, or you can aim for same speed at lower pressure. Sometimes this allows you to run at a higher node. Maybe you can gain 100-120 fps this way, but it is not always practical. If you use a double base powder known for speed, you can get some pretty impressive numbers. Bragging rights. But speed is over-rated, and at best wind drift will come down 5% or so.

I use it in my MPA target rifle only. In that gun, a 6.5 CM almost achieves 6.5x284 performance.

Last edited:
F-class shooters generally jump on the latest-greatest "thing". If there was a group more prone to following fads, that's them. Even they aren't coating bullets anymore. Not worth the effort in the long run.

I'm not an experimenter. With the cost of components and barrels these days (plus cost of chambering) I stick to proven and agreed upon industry products and standards. If a sponsored pro shooter wants to experiment on a sponsors dime or a big company wants to coat bullets and test them then that's great for them. I'm not is a position with my shooting budget to do such things.