• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Coating Color Question:

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    Hey all, just a quick question, and sorta off the wall:

Below is a link to the NIC website, and hopefully, a specific page that shows the colors. The question is, which BLACK would/do you use more?

http://www.nicindustries.com/guncoater.php

Graphite Black (H-146)

or

Armor Black (H-190)

Reply here, via PM, or email. Yes, there is a reason, and thank you for your input. If anyone can say (with some authority) which would be found on US Army, Marines, USSS, and/or LE firearms the most, that would be even better.

Again, thank you.

Re: Coating Color Question:

Military black is like black hole black. It's .5 gloss units and Graphite is 1.5(that might just be C-series)

I use military black and love the color it gives. Seems to almost trap light. But doesn't match some blacks, like anodized aluminum, so we keep both on hand.

Depends on your rifle, your job, or just what you like.

"Military Black" is a new one for me. I haven't found that on the Ceracoat or Duracoat sites.

is this what "Our Team" is using?

It's a C-series Cerakote. Not H. I didnt notice the question asked about "graphite" and "armor" black.
    Never used the "armor" black. Just Graphite and Military black C-series.

NIC says there is a *slight* difference in colors between C and H series.