• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Coating question

Bluewater132

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2017
I have a Defiance action with a Bugholes Bugnut barreled action I would like to get coated during the cold season. I want some color and protection for the bare metal. Im worried about the bolt since it is such a close fit. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Definitely dont coat the interior of the receiver or bolt body. Being stainless, I wouldnt worry too much about corrosion. Normal maintenance would keep that at bay. Pick a competent coater and be detailed about your goals. My local guy has no issues keeping coating off anything I specify.

You should be able to expect your coatings guy to mask areas of concern. You can typically coat tight tolerance areas in melonite or microslick with minimal noticeable change in dimension. Like said, ss can be left alone unless you're concerned about being shiny.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to coat the outside for looks and leave the bolt and interior plain.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to coat the outside for looks and leave the bolt and interior plain.

Use the new cerakote elite. Much thinner then the H-series and it’s harder/slicker. Have the bolt only melonited or DLC’d for the ultimate slickness.

You should be able to expect your coatings guy to mask areas of concern. You can typically coat tight tolerance areas in melonite or microslick with minimal noticeable change in dimension. Like said, ss can be left alone unless you're concerned about being shiny.

I agree with the microslick option, I have had really good luck with it on bolt and gas guns.

I just ran into this issue with a Rem700 build a few weeks ago. My smith didn't open my raceway to accommodate my oversized PTG bolt. Both bolt and receiver were cerakoted. I wound up having to do a lot of work on the bolt with sand paper and lapping compound to fix the tolerance issue. After stripping and re-lapping the bolt, I just microslick'd it and have no issues with the tight tolerances.

If I have to do another tight receiver/bolt, I will cerakote the exterior of the receiver, microslick the interior of it, and leave the bolt stainless. Plus I like the look of the stainless bolt in a cerakoted receiver. Just my 2 cents, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the options others put out there.

I have a defiance with the bolt body ionbonded going on about 4 years now and no issues. Looks new still