• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Coating the bolt

mtm87tx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2006
Texas
i have a higher end rem 700 with the metal/silver looking patterned bolt. how can i coat this solid black without it wearing off with use?

Re: Coating the bolt

SS or CM? Based upon the description I'd say SS, so that leaves out parkerizing.

I have had good luck coating them with gun-kote. The key is to let them sit for a couple days after baking. Just make sure to follow the instructions...blast w/ 120grit alum oxide, etc.. If you use them right away, the coating will wear off. So far, this technique has held up on everything from remmy bolts to nesika bolts.

Gun Kote I think is the thinest and is also self lubricating. I did my bolt with it and haven't had any problems. Keep in mind you will be applying it to a moving surface and anything you put on it will wear off over time, regardless of what it is.

You're not going to coat the bolt in hopes it won't wear off. Not going to happen, over time anything you put on the bolt will come off. That happens when you have metal to metal contact.

So use whatever you like, if it doesn’t work out try something else. If they bolt has a jewel pattern then you're best bet is to have it media blasted first before applying any type of finish. If this is the case you may want to consider having it done

i do have the jewel bold and i do not like the shinny finish. i do not expect it to be perment but at least something decent other than the pattern

if you just don't like the shiny jeweled stainless look, media blast it to give it a mat finish. if you want it black, then have it finished in your favorite firearm finish but like others have said, it is a moving part and will wear. i don't know what they use on the hs precision rifle bolts but that is an awesome finish. i think it is some kind of teflon coating. it doesn't show any wear after years of use and is slicker than snot. it is more of a charcoal gray then a black though.

I have coated the bolts, leaving the lugs and bolt face the original blue or ss. I have done jeweled bolts with Kg and have had good results. It will wear, but only in the areas where the races rub the bolt. I throw a very thin coat of oil on the bolt to aid in lubricity and have not had any problems.
Remember preperation of the surface is the most important part of the process. Cover any areas you do not want to blast,(lugs, bolt face) blast it, clean it really good, clean it again, then apply the KG in your color and bake.
Good luck with it.
Robb