• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cocktail help

mrdrar

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
I had a previous thread asking about rye like Whistle Pig 10 year old. I have tried a few and decided to stay with it. Now, I am trying to formulate a cocktail with it. I tried 1.5 oz Whistle Pig, 0.75 oz Cointreau, and 3 dashes of Regan's Orange Bitters. I like the addition of orange flavor, but not the added roughness--the Whistle Pig alone was smoother. Can anyone recommend a change in proportions? Thanks in advance.

I had a previous thread asking about rye like Whistle Pig 10 year old. I have tried a few and decided to stay with it. Now, I am trying to formulate a cocktail with it. I tried 1.5 oz Whistle Pig, 0.75 oz Cointreau, and 3 dashes of Regan's Orange Bitters. I like the addition of orange flavor, but not the added roughness--the Whistle Pig alone was smoother. Can anyone recommend a change in proportions? Thanks in advance.
I think half the guys here will bitch about you mixing whiskey. Pretty sure a guy on here mixed some expensive shit with coke just to piss them off once lol.

Is it from the alcohol difference alone that you find it rough or from the ice? If the latter add a small amount of simple syrup.
If that doesn't change it up enough just try the Cointreau as a float.

Reactions: Maciej
I think half the guys here will bitch about you mixing whiskey. Pretty sure a guy on here mixed some expensive shit with coke just to piss them off once lol.

That was my homie @QuickNDirty with a bottle of Pappy and some Coke!

Said it was tasty as can be!!!

OP- pour good whisky in glass.
Drink
Perfect cocktail.

I dont mind a good Old Fashioned if the sweet is cut to barely there.
A light drizzle of real maple syrup in the glass (very light, silver dollar size) is enough.

Drink
Perfect cocktail.

A light drizzle of real maple syrup in the glass (very light, silver dollar size) is enough.
I thought it was pappy but not enough to name it lol

I don't drink cocktails often but when I do it's a maple black walnut old fashioned.

Use Fee Bros black walnut bitters and a dash of maple syrup... off the chain.

Is it from the alcohol difference alone that you find it rough or from the ice? If the latter add a small amount of simple syrup.
If that doesn't change it up enough just try the Cointreau as a float.
Not the ice, as that is how I drink the Whistle Pig anyhow. I'd like not to add sugar. I know what you mean by "float the Cointreau", but how much?

Drink
Perfect cocktail.

I haven't added any sweetener. Trying to avoid sugar.

Not the ice, as that is how I drink the Whistle Pig anyhow. I'd like not to add sugar. I know what you mean by "float the Cointreau", but how much?
A bar spoon or two.

I don't drink cocktails often but when I do it's a maple black walnut old fashioned.

Use Fee Bros black walnut bitters and a dash of maple syrup... off the chain.
Sounds interesting, but going for orange flavor.

Put whiskey in glass. Water to taste, ice or rocks if desired.

Don't know what's so hard about that?

I'm pretty sure vodka and rum are for mixing, and tequila is for a great time you can't really remember.

(Water can open the flavors on some, and just dilute others. Your taste matters, not anyone else's opinion)

I'm also one of those that hates "smooth" liquor of any sort. Give me some spice and flavor to enjoy!

Reactions: Dewey7271
Whistle Pig is my favorite rye whiskey…. And here’s one of my favorite rye drinks; a take on an Old Fashioned…call it a new-old fashioned:

Fresh cut orange peel rubbed on rim of glass, drop the peel in when finished

- double shot of rye
- single shot of Praline liquor (replaces the simple syrup)
- 2-3 shakes of regular Angostura bitters
- 2-3 shakes of any orange bitter you prefer
- 1-2 candied black, amaretto, or other premium dark cherry…do not use maraschino, trust me, it makes a difference

I typically serve mine in a heavy leaded tumbler, with one giant ice ball or cube

Damn, now I want one…

i-XZBQf9V.jpg

Edit: If you want it a little sweeter, use a decent bourbon instead of rye, or add a little of the cherry juice along with the cherry/cherries as well…a little goes a long way though. I typically let the cherry juice/sugar drain off the spoon and just what little is on the cherry itself goes into the drink.

i-nXTp7xL.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BLEE
Sounds interesting, but going for orange flavor.
You might look at other orange bitters, the Angostura Orange are the most "orangey" tasting I've found. Fee Brothers are drier, but still different than Regan's. I've used all three at the same time. I also like a good 10+ dashes when using bitters, but I also will use a small amount of simple syrup. Some sugar is needed with anything approaching an Old Fashioned, which this is.

As to other triple sec and derivatives, you might look for Marie Brizard Finesse Orange, it's been around since 1766 a good 90 years before Grand Marnier and nearly 120 before Cointreau.

Whistle Pig is my favorite rye whiskey…. And here’s one of my favorite rye drinks; a take on an Old Fashioned…call it a new-old fashioned:

Fresh cut orange peel rubbed on rim of glass, drop the peel in when finished

- double shot of rye
- single shot of Praline liquor (replaces the simple syrup)
- 2-3 shakes of regular Angostura bitters
- 2-3 shakes of any orange bitter you prefer
- 1-2 candied black, amaretto, or other premium dark cherry…do not use maraschino, trust me, it makes a difference

I typically serve mine in a heavy leaded tumbler, with one giant ice ball or cube

Damn, now I want one…

i-XZBQf9V.jpg

Edit: If you want it a little sweeter, use a decent bourbon instead of rye, or add a little of the cherry juice along with the cherry/cherries as well…a little goes a long way though. I typically let the cherry juice/sugar drain off the spoon and just what little is on the cherry itself goes into the drink.

i-nXTp7xL.jpg
Thanks. Gorgeous 1911.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
You might look at other orange bitters, the Angostura Orange are the most "orangey" tasting I've found. Fee Brothers are drier, but still different than Regan's. I've used all three at the same time. I also like a good 10+ dashes when using bitters, but I also will use a small amount of simple syrup. Some sugar is needed with anything approaching an Old Fashioned, which this is.

As to other triple sec and derivatives, you might look for Marie Brizard Finesse Orange, it's been around since 1766 a good 90 years before Grand Marnier and nearly 120 before Cointreau.
Thanks. Sugar being necessary seems to be a recurring theme.

The best choice I made a long time ago was to stop mixing anything into my booze except ice (or maybe a squeeze of fresh lemon / lime)

If your booze doesn't taste good with just ice, buy different booze

I do need to mix some for my wife, but that isn't a 'girls are wimps' comment, she just does not like the taste of alcohol at all. She mostly drinks the 'Honey Whiskeys' or Crown which are easy to mix.

Oh yeah, this is easy. Just change the proportions to;

2 oz Whistle Pig
0 oz Contreau
0 dashes Regan's Orange Bitters
Ice is up to you.

I like most bourbons in my cabinet over ice, and most of the whisky neat or with a chilled stone in the glass.

Still enjoy mixed cocktails on the regular though, and keep some whiskey (with an ’e’), rye, and some lower-end but still nice bourbons on hand for that…plus the usual suspects in any well-stocked bar of course.

OP was asking for a cocktail recipe to use with rye…. So, yeah.

Reactions: 6.5SH