• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coffee Brewers, what's out there?

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Starbucks thread got me thinking again that my coffee maker sucks.

It's a Breville brand Keurig type brewer.

I don't buy K cups, I fill the refill pot and brew my own single cups.....

image.jpg

Seems like toward the end of the brew the grinds cup can't hold any more water and I see clear water coming into my cup.

I need something new.

I am the only one in the house that drinks coffee though and I need a machine that will brew single servings at a time. A single serving should be considered 16 oz I'd say.

Seeking a cup of coffee equal to diner coffee brewed from a commercial Bunn.

Let's see your $4k Miele built ins.

May the bacon...

image.jpg

And eggs (sorry about the fumbled flip)......

image.jpg

Be with you.

Last edited:
    Copper frying pan? If so, who made it? Sorry, I cannot help you on the coffee.

Maxwell

Cast iron......

But it does have a uniquely copper looking cast to it.

Smithy Iron

Polished perfectly.

Creates a great "crisp" on your eggs as long as you don't fumble them doing the flip.

Reactions: oneshot86
    Starbucks thread got me thinking again that my coffee maker sucks.

It's a Breville brand Kerrigan type brewer.

I don't buy K cups, I fill the refill pot a brew my own single cups.....

View attachment 7107776

Seems like toward the end of the brew the grinds cup can't hold any more water and I see clear water coming into my cup.

I need something new.

I am the only one in the house that drinks coffee though and I need a machine that will brew single servings at a time. A single serving should be considered 16 oz I'd say.

Seeking a cup of coffee equal to diner coffee brewed from a commercial Bunn.

Let's see your $4k Miele built ins.

May the bacon...

View attachment 7107777

And eggs (sorry about the fumbled flip)......

View attachment 7107780

Be with you.
    Pour over is my favorite way. I use this

I also have aero presses and a just a regular coffee pot

Pour over system is fantastic, and my favorite.

Bunn makes a small single serve pot, but if you drink more than a cup or two a day, just buy the Bunn home sized system.
    Bunn brews it fast and it keeps the water temperature correct at all times.

French press is excellent also.

I have all three types and they will create different taste/texture even using the same grounds.

Reactions: lash
    Aeropress

$25.

Also buy a nice conical burr grinder, $75-125 will get that done.

Reactions: gimpy
    Aeropress and French Press make best tasting coffee in my opinion, the Aeropress is great for single cup. Wife bought a Ninja coffee maker, it actually does pretty good.

@pmclaine What’s going down in your kitchen that you need to keep a rear bag on top of your coffee maker?

That's an insulated bottle holder for the Nalgene.

That's the space I'm allotted in the kitchen.

I stack my daily carry gear there.

OXO Good Grips cold brew maker-- $45, makes super smooth coffee concentrate that blows away boiled water brew coffee. Get some decent medium & dark roast beans at Costco and make custom bean blends whatever...there is something about NOT brewing with boiled chlorine that removes all bitterness! Only expense was finding durable burr grinder-- so far the Breville is holding up well and is a well thought out unit. Still looking for old fashioned manual crank type in case power goes out but no luck so far.

This is a great topic to broach because I’m thinking of a new coffee maker as well. I’ve been using a Cuisinart (a few models) over the last 20 years.

My wife bought a Keurig coffee maker & I hate that POS. Initially they run fine, but after a few months they take forever to brew a cup of coffee.

I’d like to see how y’all are brewing coffee. I drink about a pot a day, so who’s got the most badass coffee brewing method out there?

The second most useful item in the kitchen is the flat cast iron pan used to heat up my tortillas!

Best coffee is with a burr grinder and a pour over.
    I even have a kettle with a thermometer to make sure my water is at the perfect temp for pouring.
    Find what kind of roast you like and get good beans. Going to this level of effort with Maxwell House is a waste of energy.
    I use Vail Mountain Roasters or Daz-Bog when Im feeling sporty. Daily brew is Costco Kirkland Espresso Beans. Darn good for the price.

Its not the fastest, so during the week i just use a regular Cuisinart on a timer. I have the model that makes a pot or single 16 oz cup. When I use the single cup and steel mesh filter, I can use my burr grinder on a courser grind and make a darn tasty cup with less work.

Reactions: CaptNemo
    I use a siphon brewer that I picked up unused a few years back from a neighbor who got it as a wedding gift 35 years ago. It takes a ltitle longer but I enjoy the taste of the coffee as it seems to not have harsh bitterness from drip. To start I grind the beans, boil water in a kettle, then pour the water into the bottom and put top piece on. I then use the alcohol burner to continue heating and when the water is all in the top beaker, add the beans and stir for 90 seconds. After 90 seconds, put the cap on the burner and let it pull the coffee back through the filter below. It takes about 10 minutes to brew 6 cups of coffee (3 american cups). Cleaning requires some small hose brushes to get in the tight spots, and the cloth filter is washed and boiled after each use.

Attachments

• 20190707_104629.jpg
      20190707_104629.jpg
      327.7 KB · Views: 49
    I've learned these things from members here, over the years. Not anything new, nor anything original....I'm just sharing and passing on the knowledge.

If one wants good coffee, then one NEEDS to start with a Conical Burr Grinder. Any of them 'spinning blade thingy's' shall be set aside for the garbage-sale pile. (after we learned this difference, we even picked up a second 'cheaper' CBG for grinding spices. So much better.

Water. Don't use chlorinated water. We use spring water. Your coffee will thank you for it.

French Press. There are other venues such as the aeropress and the pour-over that we haven't tried yet simply because we haven't bought one yet. But the daily 'go to' for My Lady is the french press. The grounds are measured out on a scale, and the time is worked out with a timer, so that each coffee is "just the way she likes it".

Espresso Pot. This is the venue for me. I drink one cup of coffee a day, and it is ~8 oz of espresso. This is the complete output from a "6-shot espresso maker" and it serves me fine.

This is all done with fresh-ground beans. That IS what everyone actually starts with, right?

My next venue shall be into buying my beans green and then roasting my own individual batches to my particular liking. I know of some other members here doing this, and maybe THEY will chime in too.

Hope this helps.

I've had a few other 'expensive and expensive'r' espresso machines.... but they don't last, break down, need parts etc. For the money, until I finish making "the espresso machine" of my own, I believe the BEST value for the dollar is simply the espresso pot. Put the 'counter-chrome' money into quality beans and water.

Hope that helps too.

Reactions: CaptNemo
    I use a siphon brewer that I picked up unused a few years back from a neighbor who got it as a wedding gift 35 years ago. It takes a ltitle longer but I enjoy the taste of the coffee as it seems to not have harsh bitterness from drip. To start I grind the beans, boil water in a kettle, then pour the water into the bottom and put top piece on. I then use the alcohol burner to continue heating and when the water is all in the top beaker, add the beans and stir for 90 seconds. After 90 seconds, put the cap on the burner and let it pull the coffee back through the filter below. It takes about 10 minutes to brew 6 cups of coffee (3 american cups). Cleaning requires some small hose brushes to get in the tight spots, and the cloth filter is washed and boiled after each use.

Just a helpful kick, but for cleaning that glass I'd suggest a half a dozen ice-cubes and a heaping teaspoon of salt. Swirl it all around, turning it onto different angles and whatnot. You'd be surprised as to how clean and clear it comes out. And no, the salt will NOT scratch the glass. But what it does to "coffee schmutz" is phenomenal. Try it, I think you'll like it. Simple. Fast. Easy. EFFECTIVE.

They are actually coffee cherries........?

Like we all nerd out on the science of reloading, the exquisite blends of flavors with an excellent meal, the same can be said for getting all nerded out about coffee.

I enjoy it.

Depends on the cigar. Most of mine pair well with coffee. My idea of fine whisky goes something like this: “Hey, you want some whisky to go with that cigar?” Me: “That’s fine.”

Reactions: lash
    Im a whiskey guy.
    Not so much on cigars. I like the smell of one burning, just not me doing it.

I live my Jura for 1 button activation.. it my second and the down graded cheaper version, my first lasted 15 years. Here is my coffee area.. everything there is for coffee.
    image.jpg

But I also love the Italian Bialetti - french press is not nearly as silky..

The Bialetti’s are cheap and work camping. If you like poor over, try the Bietetti with proper coffee.. it steams the water, then under pressure passes it through ultra fine grind..

Last edited:
    I have a programmable Mr. Coffee drip for morning mass consumption, made with beans fresh ground the night before.

For anything else - AeroPress.

Tried pourover, admittedly a cheap one - did not care for it, too many grounds used for a given strength vs. the AeroPress.

Kaladi Brothers is my favorite coffee, yes a local brew house, they hooked me up 20 years ago with what I needed and how grind and brew their coffee. We had a voting campaign years ago Kaladi Vs Starbucks and Kaladi crushed them as the top and preferred coffee to serve in Alaska and on Alaska Airlines. But like everywhere, the left coast Seattle hippies power took over and now a lot of places serve Starbucks choke and puke coffee.

Cant help much with a new brewer but if you haven't tried it, cowboy coffee just don't boil it and add some cool water.

For those who find coffee with a bitterness, sprinkle a little salt on before the brewing.

As far as coffee, here my favs:

They are actually coffee cherries........?

Like we all nerd out on the science of reloading, the exquisite blends of flavors with an excellent meal, the same can be said for getting all nerded out about coffee.

I enjoy it.

If you want to get completely 'nerded out' about this, then it's the "coffee cherry PIT" that you/we/us is/are after!

Throw that cherry-schmutz away, and save me the Pits!!!!!! ;)

So, my question for you then, is 1st crack or 2nd?

Okay,
    Since we're on the coffee talk again, I owe someone an apology.

A couple of weeks ago I was supposed to pick up a kilo of Don Carlos and send it their way.

I can't remember who it was and can't find a PM about it.

Shit.

Will the offended please rise and show yourself?

Okay,
    Since we're on the coffee talk again, I owe someone an apology.

A couple of weeks ago I was supposed to pick up a kilo of Don Carlos and send it their way.

I can't remember who it was and can't find a PM about it.

Shit.

Will the offended please rise and show yourself?

A-ha!!

I figured it out.
    It's @bourbonbent

Sorry buddy,
    It was a bit busy last week.
    I did say I'll get it on the way by Wednesday.
    I must have meant this Wednesday... :0

For simplicity and a good cup its hard to beat a French press. The glass ones are too delicate for my clumsy ass so I bought a stainless steel one at Starbucks and its lasted 4 years and still in good shape.

I drink a pot or so a day. Fucking love coffee, but caffeine does nothing to me.

That said, French press and I grind my own. I prefer dark roast for the taste. I also steep my own cold brew for hot as fuck days and will also heat it up for hot coffee

Other than that, I drink scotch. Fuck water.

I see nothing anywhere on theChemex literature/box that says made anywhere but Massachusetts.

Good coffee and I avoided the tariffs.

First brew was an experiment using my shitty on sale Maxwell House coffee.

Made it taste 100 percent better than the Keurig brew.

saeco exyslis.

you guys spend so much in gear, why not in coffee too. i went through so many styles and grinders and makers, had a few even catch fire.

i can say this maker makes an awesome cup, adjust the settings for different drinks as well as different beans. create profiles for same drink, just different intensities

definitely worth the $2k since it gets used multiple times everyday

I had a Jura and didn't like that it was basically 'press button, receive coffee' even if it wasn't exactly what you wanted.

For espresso I have one of the Breville's where you hand tamp the coffee and can control the water temperature and brew/pressurization time as it varies between different coffee types.

For regular coffee I use the Technivorm Moccamaster.

I drink a pot or so a day. Fucking love coffee, but caffeine does nothing to me.

That said, French press and I grind my own. I prefer dark roast for the taste. I also steep my own cold brew for hot as fuck days and will also heat it up for hot coffee

Other than that, I drink scotch. Fuck water.
    Better safe than sorry.

Fish fuck in water you know.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
    I have 3 basic ways I make coffee depending on my mood and available time

1. Aeropress is my number one hot brew (inverted method)

2. I use a Toddy Cafe for cold brew

3. I have a knock off keurig type brewer for when I have no time to make coffee, it also makes me appreciate the other 2 methods more lol

I am NOT a coffee SNOB like many coffee drinkers, I am more of a coffee scientist. I can make a great cup of coffee out of a $5/pound coffee, and a phenomenal cup of coffee out of slightly better beans.

Every aspect from the size of ground, to the temp of the water, to the time the water is in contact with the grounds creates the taste.

I bought a Breville last year that I really like. I do like having the French press also, but the timer convenance of coffee ready when I wake up is needed.

I typically keep it filled with one of the Black Rifle variety of coffees.

I have 3 basic ways I make coffee depending on my mood and available time

1. Aeropress is my number one hot brew (inverted method)

2. I use a Toddy Cafe for cold brew

3. I have a knock off keurig type brewer for when I have no time to make coffee, it also makes me appreciate the other 2 methods more lol

I am NOT a coffee SNOB like many coffee drinkers, I am more of a coffee scientist. I can make a great cup of coffee out of a $5/pound coffee, and a phenomenal cup of coffee out of slightly better beans.

Every aspect from the size of ground, to the temp of the water, to the time the water is in contact with the grounds creates the taste.

I think I'm going to have to order a Areopress

Im going to have to order an Aeropress now. How are you heating your water and getting consistent temperature? .

The kettle ;)

here is a complete guide

Play around with the temps the grind the brew time until you find what YOU like
    These are the tools to help get you there

I like the water temp about 190 and use a drip grind