• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coin shortage, my ass.

BigTex

Dr. Dickweed
Minuteman
  • Jul 14, 2013
    I was in town today gathering supplies for an upcoming trip, and 3 of the 4 stores that I went to had signs saying that they were not taking cash due to a national coin shortage. The only store that would take cash was the liquor store, so that's the only place I spent any money. Anyone else smell a rat?

its going on inn NJ too. I have a shop there still and we're having a hard time getting it from the bank. Customers are saying it too.

I hadn’t heard of it until just now, but a quick internet search seems to indicate that there is a temporary coin shortage.

8843652C-A411-4288-9BBD-0456AFA9D58D.png

I saw a sign in a restaurant asking people to pay with card because of the coin shortage today. I could see the credit companies buying up all the coin supplies to force people to use cards, increase in transaction fees for credit companies.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Madarcher419
    Refusing cash is not going to go well for any retailer.

I suspect that this problem can be quickly solved if the Federal Reserve simply requires banks to exchange coinage or accept it for deposits without charging bullshit fees. No need to go mint more of it just so we can all fill more coffee cans with worthless pennies.

I never use cash...what is the problem with paying with plastic?

Thats the goal.

Get everyone on plastic, any time they get out of line shut down their accounts.

Im with you on the convenience. I use plastic all the time but we are at risk in not maintaining more liquidity and assuming that the plastic will always work.

I had to change cards two or three times a few years ago as bank after bank went anti gun and for my conscience only I dumped them.

Used to get a nice $700-$800 dollar check from REI every year using their credit card but since they went full anti 2A I havent been in one of their stores and keep the card open only to get member dividends from them. Im taking their money when they offer it and I use it to buy ammo.

I use a card now that pays cash back. Building up some cash back to send to @LongRifles Inc. when he gets my new rifle together.

Last edited:
    I never use cash...what is the problem with paying with plastic?
    I don't have a problem paying with a card, I do have a problem with them refusing legal tender. What if I lose my wallet while out of town and need to use my truck cash to buy diesel to get home? I would be perfectly fine with them keeping the sub dollar change, but to refuse cash payment seems odd.

Besides that not everything purchased needs to be tracked by the big G.

A lot of places I spend money with charge a 3.5% credit card fee. Or provide a "3.5% cash discount".

I don't have a problem paying with a card, I do have a problem with them refusing legal tender. What if I lose my wallet while out of town and need to use my truck cash to buy diesel to get home? I would be perfectly fine with them keeping the sub dollar change, but to refuse cash payment seems odd.

Besides that not everything purchased needs to be tracked by the big G.
    I agree with the refusing legal tender for certain. That is the point of legal tender and no one can refuse it or should be allowed to do so. I always carry some for emergency situations but on a day to day basis, I never use it

It don't 'cost' to have the Brink's truck come to your shop with the money bags, or to pick them up. "They" want us all to use plastic so that they can eliminate the cost of creating and handling cash, AS WELL AS to keep tabs/track on every transaction between everyone. Lastly, to be able to monitor 'tax' on purchases.

That's my thoughts, change my mind.

I pay no fees unless I take cash advances which I don't do
    We go to 5 or 6 restaurants. Each one says they have a dollar card fee and is that OK. I tell them sure, if they don't mind it coming out of their tip. Minimum wage went up almost 50 percent here. Then everyone thinks 18 percent is what tips should be. And now you want more on top of that?

It don't 'cost' to have the Brink's truck come to your shop with the money bags, or to pick them up. "They" want us all to use plastic so that they can eliminate the cost of creating and handling cash, AS WELL AS to keep tabs/track on every transaction between everyone. Lastly, to be able to monitor 'tax' on purchases.

That's my thoughts, change my mind.
    Tinfoil coming your way

Reactions: M8541Reaper
    We go to 5 or 6 restaurants. Each one says they have a dollar card fee and is that OK. I tell them sure, if they don't mind it coming out of their tip. Minimum wage went up almost 50 percent here. Then everyone thinks 18 percent is what tips should be. And now you want more on top of that?

I would tell them exactly what you did. I agree 100%

You shouldn't have a fee and they shouldn't be able to refuse actual cash. It is your call what to use

I pay no fees unless I take cash advances which I don't do
    No disrespect intended @Nik H , but you ARE paying fees, you just don't know it. There is a transaction fee that the retailer pays. If the retailer wants to maintain their profit margin, they have to cover that fee somewhere. I'm sure they went to all the employees and asked if they would take a pay cut to cover the fee, however I'm just as sure the employees, after careful and concerted deliberation, decided to decline the contribution. How then does the fee get covered? Hmmm, if I can't reduce expenses, I'll have to raise revenues. Who represents REVENUE in the transaction? That's right, you (and me) represent revenue.

Think about that. For nothing more than processing paperwork to move money from your account, to the merchant, they skim 2.5 to 5 percent.

That's why there is a coin shortage. There is no money in hard currency.

You really are this gullible aren’t you? If you haven’t understood the pure evil in government and big tech by now then I don’t know what will change your mind.

Read up on China’s social credit system.
    I don't see conspiracies behind it everything...we have had credit cards in existence as a convenience against carrying cash for most of my life. It is a convenience. It used to be store credit. Then came VISA and MC and then AMEX. Now you are telling me that it is a global conspiracy. Give me a break. The only insidious part of credit cards is that people are irresponsible and charge debt that they can't afford. I don't have that issue. You want to use cash, feel fucking free. I don't and I'll be damned to listen to you telling me why I can't

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you Wade...let's leave it at that.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
    No disrespect intended @Nik H , but you ARE paying fees, you just don't know it. There is a transaction fee that the retailer pays. If the retailer wants to maintain their profit margin, they have to cover that fee somewhere. I'm sure they went to all the employees and asked if they would take a pay cut to cover the fee, however I'm just as sure the employees, after careful and concerted deliberation, decided to decline the contribution. How then does the fee get covered? Hmmm, if I can't reduce expenses, I'll have to raise revenues. Who represents REVENUE in the transaction? That's right, you (and me) represent revenue.

Think about that. For nothing more than processing paperwork to move money from your account, to the merchant, they skim 2.5 to 5 percent.

The retailer has to set their price based on the fact that people use plastic. Most sales today are on-line. So most sales are made electronically so the fee is there as you say.

What is your point??? The price you pay is the same. Unless you are saying that prices would drop if everyone paid in cash...ya and monkeys will fly out my butt

Got 18 dimes in each barrel, ever seen what a dollar and eighty does to a forty dollar steer .....

Reactions: Josh1978
    I won’t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you believe what you just said

Yes I believe it.

They have already done it to gun businesses.

Credit Cards are fine but I have no doubts that should you be sought you will be tracked via usage or your accounts will be shut down.

Privacy is gone....Fast Pass, Cell Phones, Credit Cards.......

Ive got them all even if my cell phone is a little dated....

P7316950.JPG

Ive been told this brick isnt supposed to work anymore but its still sending and receiving and probably tracking.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
    Yes I believe it.

They have already done it to gun businesses.

Credit Cards are fine but I have no doubts that should you be sought you will be tracked via usage or your accounts will be shut down.

Privacy is gone....Fast Pass, Cell Phones, Credit Cards.......

Ive got them all even if my cell phone is a little dated....

View attachment 7369140

Ive been told this brick isnt supposed to work anymore but its still sending and receiving and probably tracking.
    Look at all the scum that has been arrested because of cc tracking, cell phones too.

I have coins laying on my dresser from the 50s, through 2020. Telling me that there is a coin shortage because fewer coins were produced THIS year doesn't pass the sniff test.

I set aside coins from my birth year or earlier.

Wheat pennies always catch my eye.

Every once in a blue moon Ill get change back from the cashier and Ill 'hear" the sound of something different. If you are not a moron its readily recognizable something is different. Last time it happend it was an early walking liberty silver dime.

I think Im the source of the coin shortage by taking them out of circulation.

You have not heard of social monitoring?

We are home to the biggest creators "Silicon Valley".

Gee they came up with the Covid 19 tracking pretty quick. Almost like they had it in the pipeline.
    Still don't see the point you're making

You pay your bills in cash...mortgage, credit cards, auto, insurance, groceries, gas? No you don't.

Fact is that all of your life and patterns is in full view if the powers that be desire it.

Your flip phone is still tracked if they so desire and they can turn it off anytime they wish.

Fact is that we digress...the point of this thread was to comment on a business that no longer accepted legal tender which is blatantly illegal. I diverted it inadvertently into a wormhole...sorry

Maybe we should talk about keto diets and their long term benefits

Reactions: SilentStalkr

All fees and taxes are passed on to the consumer.

Pure economics.

Its absolute BS when the likes of Liz Warren says "We are going to tax those evil businesses!" and the barking seals give her loud applause.

Everyone is quick to understand that a tariff on China will eventually be coming out of the US consumer pocket but yet they get hard ons when they hear the US oil company is going to get taxed for being evil. Who do they think is going to pay that tax?

At least with a tariff I may get the benefit of a job or getting some dead weight off welfare. So while I support tariffs I dry heave when I hear of taxes or hear someone say there is the idea of getting something for nothing.

Everything has a cost.

Last edited:
    Still don't see the point you're making

You pay your bills in cash...mortgage, credit cards, auto, insurance, groceries, gas? No you don't.

Fact is that all of your life and patterns is in full view if the powers that be desire it.

Your flip phone is still tracked if they so desire and they can turn it off anytime they wish.

Fact is that we digress...the point of this thread was to comment on a business that no longer accepted legal tender which is blatantly illegal. I diverted it inadvertently into a wormhole...sorry

Maybe we should talk about keto diets and their long term benefits

Any business that refuses cash is in violation of the very words on the cash concerning "legal tender".

Yet with the age of CV19 it became acceptable to tell people "Credit card only".

Just conditioning, move chains closer to the goal post......look at all the masks you see out in public........Baaaa, Baaaa, Baaaaaaaaa!

you should reverse that by walking into the store with a wagon full of these
    1594173453276.png

bet they still would not like it lol back to the wheel mortality system , pillars of salt they work for deer why not your local grocery store .

Reactions: BigTex
    you should reverse that by walking into the store with a wagon full of these View attachment 7369152
    bet they still would not like it lol back to the wheel mortality system , pillars of salt they work for deer why not your local grocery store .

Looks like you got a pocket crab mixed in with your change.

Used to have a 5 gallon carboy Id toss my pocket change in to when I was using cash more than my credit card.

Before Id go on my yearly motorcycle trips Id spend hours wrapping coins.

Id usually end up with close to $1000 of "free" money to ensure a great vacation.

Now that I always use the plastic fantastic I rarely have coin change.

Reactions: Dragonscout25
    The reason for the coin shortage is the banks have their lobbies closed. You can not put rolls of coins in the tubes at the drive thru. A friend owns several car wash businesses and he has to make a special appointment to bring in the coins. He told me that a five gallon bucket holds about $4500 in quarters. I counted quite a few buckets at his place that were full to the top.
    IIRC back in the 80's there was a strike or something and the coins were not being collected from the pay phones. It caused a coin shortage in California.

Reactions: MtnCreek
    As far as social monitoring goes.....watch what is going on in Hong Kong.

Tik Tok is a Chinese Army intel operation.

Google, Facebook, Twitter are posturing as good guys and suspending operations in Hong Kong as China looks to them to turn in resistors to Chinas rule.

Awesome stuff.

Yeah Freedom.

Russia, Russia, Russia while China positions to fuck Freedom in the ass.

Credit cards are unreliable, I always carry cash
    Can't count how many times I have been someplace buying something and the stupid credit card machine failed (just happened last week taking my kid for ice cream)
    Its happened to me on vacation multiple times, make a charge and fucking card gets cut off by fraud protection (this has gotten better with technology, but still not perfect)
    I had two credit cards shut off one after the other on a vacation trying to buy groceries in a fucking grocery store, and one of the credit cards had a note that I was traveling to the area on file.

Cash is king, anyone that thinks otherwise has been duped

If anyone refused my cash, I would take their refusal as my goods and services were free