• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cold Bore First Shot CCI Quiet 22 710fps

Deodand

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2020
I enjoy shooting CCI quiet on my backyard range out to 85 yards. Zeroed at 25 yards comeups to 85 yards are 4+mils.
Starting with a CZ455 varmint/trainer I soon got bit by the bug.
My T1X has a pronounced cold bore drop of about 4moa from point of aim at 25 yards with this ammo. Something I never noticed in my CZ.
The T1X is probably my favorite gun to run but accuracy has not been what I hoped. More money down the rabbit hole and I got a Bergara B14R. First shots at 50 yards with real ammo was about .4", better than my 455 (~.5) and T1X (~.6).

I decided to upgrade my CZ 455. In the original stock the barrel was not free floated so I got an Oryx chassis for it. I wasn't happy with the Timney trigger so I also ordered one from Triggers by Scar (Really the best for this rifle IMHO). Changing one thing at a time is only for the methodical so I also got an IBI barrel.
Put it all together, the barrel fit perfect. I pulled a bore snake through it and loaded up.
First shot with CCI quiet, squib. I push it out with a cleaning rod and sight it in. Shoots fine at 25 yards.

Next time out, another squib. Do I have a bad lot of ammo? I shot a bunch in my other rifles with no further issues. I thought maybe an ignition issue? But primer strikes are solid.

How long is the barrel?
I have heard of issues with the cci quiet and 24" or longer barrels.

I started to suspect the barrel was tight or maybe rough. I put about 250 rounds of some Remington ammo to smooth and season the bore.
Yesterday afternoon I went out to give it a run in my backyard. First shot was very quiet and I heard something hit the ground right in front of me. I checked the bore, it was clear. I looked around and found the bullet on the ground 4 yard in front of the gun.

Attachments

• 4 yard bullet.jpg
    4 yard bullet.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 46
I put a round of Center X through it then shot a 5 round group off a bag on top of a rickety chair at 25 yards. Shoots OK after that first shot.

Attachments

• 25 yard target.jpg
    25 yard target.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 38
I think the issue is running basically CB cap-velocity ammo through a longer, tighter bore barrel.

I think the issue is running basically CB cap-velocity ammo through a longer, tighter bore barrel.
I haven't slugged projectiles out of my other barrels. The first "squib" round only made it about 12 to 14" down the tube.
The bullet in the picture above measures .221" while unfired rounds are .224". Is that a tight bore? I really don't know enough about it to even guess.

If you can find it, Gemtech 22 subsonic is faster and may prevent squibs. Also, out of 8 different subsonic brands it had a single digit SD with 10 shot group. Close to 6 I believe. I have a picture somewhere but can’t find it right now while at work.

Reactions: John_in_WYO
How about you stop shooting that ammo? Or do you want to try it until you stack a few rounds in your barrel?

Reactions: silentheart
I think I saw somewhere that CZ barrels are really tight and you shouldn't shoot CCI Quiets in them because you might get squibs. :) I guess it's true.

How about you stop shooting that ammo? Or do you want to try it until you stack a few rounds in your barrel?
That would be funny. Fortunately it's not the ammo per se it's the ammo in this barrel. Thousands of rounds with no problems, no squibs. I'll shoot it in my other rifles.

Decent weather here today so I decided to pull out the chrono and run this CCI quiet through a few of my rifles.
Air temp about 49 deg F. Ammo from the garage probably cooler. Rifles from indoors probably mid 60s.

CCI Quiet-22 710 fps

Tikka T1X, stock barrel:
1st shot: 653fps
Average: 699 (10 shots)
ES: 68
SD 17

Bergara B14R, stock barrel:
1st shot: 664fps
Average: 735 (10 shots)
ES: 107
SD 29

CZ455, IBI barrel:
1st shot: 0fps (Bullet made it approximately 3/4 down the barrel)
Fired 1 shot center x to season the barrel then more CCI Quiet:
Average: 661 (9 shots)
ES: 114
SD 36

Oddly the slowest round to leave the IBI barrel was the 5th shot at 594. In the Tikka and Bergara the slowest shot by far was the first.

Are you starting from a clean bore ?
Or does it have residue/ fouling in it from previous shooting sessions?

I had nothing but great experience with CCI quiet 40gr on my 16" RimX and my barrel is real tight.

Chamber I believe is the Primal Right 2*
I used a zero at 50yrd with 2.00 mil zero height vs CCI SV/Lapua Center-X.
I verify the zero at 100yrd (+6.00 mils )
Then I practice positional shooting (+9.00 mil) at my 4x4 steel target at 138yrds. I think it teaches good trigger control and follow through.

I still need to fine tune my BC with the Kestrel to match my data with downward angle shooting.

Not sure why everyone hates on that stuff, I get better SD than with Center-X!

73Ypeyc.jpg

I agree st1650. I get occasional flyers but barring that slow first round of the session it's quite consistent. If you take out the first shot in the strings I posted above, the SD out of the T1X is 9 and the B14R is 18. Not too bad.

I've shot 1000s of rounds of this ammo with zero problems, no squibs certainly. I posted mostly because it was comical to have a round basically roll out the end of the tube and fall on the ground.

I have a great time on my small piece of property. It's like shooting twice as far as your actual range. With the comeups it's as if it's even further.