• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cold bore question

Spindrift7

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2017
Eastern Iowa
I have a question and for the life of me I can’t remember the answer so I thought I’d ask the SMEs here. I got a new rig all set up, got my load figured out for it and am starting a data book for it. I don’t compete at all, but may in the future.
When logging your cold bore shots, do you need to find the cold bore deviation, if your rifle has any deviation, for ALL ranges? Or, do you just figure out the deviation at the range of your zero? I shoot using MOA, in case that’sa factor in the answer.
Like, zero at 100 yards, cold bore is logged at 100 yards also. Then should you find the cold bore deviation for 200,300, etc,etc, or is knowing the deviation at the 100 yard zero enough? I used to know this but it’s been 20+ years since I’ve gotten this technical about everything, and for the life of me, I can’t remember. I’ve searched all over and unless I missed it, I can’t find it.
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.

Assuming it was the same amount of vertical and horizontal offset each time then whatever it is at 100 will be what it is at 200, 300 etc. The angular measurement isn't changing.

The real questions you should be trying to answer; is it really a cold bore issue? Or a cold shooter? Or clean Vs fouled etc.

Assuming it was the same amount of vertical and horizontal offset each time then whatever it is at 100 will be what it is at 200, 300 etc. The angular measurement isn't changing.

The real questions you should be trying to answer; is it really a cold bore issue? Or a cold shooter? Or clean Vs fouled etc.
Thanks for your response. I’m going back to the range this week to eliminate it being myself or cold bore or clean bore. I just couldn’t remember what all I had logged as far as cold bore info, all those years ago

Try dry-firing for 5-10 minutes first and pay attention to your NPA when setting up and follow through after the trigger break. Is amazing how often first shot flyers or cold bore issues are eliminated with a bit of focused practice.

Try dry-firing for 5-10 minutes first and pay attention to your NPA when setting up and follow through after the trigger break. Is amazing how often first shot flyers or cold bore issues are eliminated with a bit of focused practice.
I’ll do that. I do that each morning with my handgun that I carry, but not with my rifle. I’ll give that a try this week

Last edited:
if your point of impact is shifting as the barrel heats up, you have a poorly bedded rifle (stock issues) or a barrel with internal stresses. This occurs frequently on cheap hunting rifles with a pencil contour barrel. Rifles with a properly bedded stock and a quality barrel—Bartlein, Brux, Krieger, etc—hold POI Independent of barrel heat.

Clean vs fouled barrel is a different subject. My F-Class rifles with heavy-contoured Bartlein barrels require 3-6 fouling shots before I shoot for record. I normally don’t clean my barrel after the first day of a two-day match. I can start the second day of a LR match with a cold barrel knowing my POI will be the same as the last match of the first day, notwithstanding environmental issues.

Last edited:
if your point of impact is shifting as the barrel heats up, you have a poorly bedded rifle (stock issues) or a barrel with internal stresses. This occurs frequently on cheap hunting rifles with a pencil contour barrel. rifles with a properly bedded stock and a quality barrel-Bartlein, Brux, Krieger, etc-hold POI Independent of barrel heat.

Clean vs fouled barrel is a different subject. My F-Class rifles with heavy-contoured Bartlein barrels require 3-6 fouling shots before I shoot for record. I normally don’t clean my barrel after the first day of a two-day match. I can start the second day of a LR match with a cold barrel knowing my POI will be the same as the last match of the first day, notwithstanding environmental issues.
Thank you for your reply. I guess my question is more about the general procedure for cold bore data, then it is about this particular rifle.
I carried an M-24 in the Army but got injured and got out in ‘02. So it’s been 20 years since i have gotten this involved/technical with LR shooting. I’m not sure if it’s my age, or if it’s a “use it or lose it” type of thing, but i cannot remember the procedure for the life of me.
I couldn’t remember if you needed to collect cold bore deviations at all ranges or if it was calculated at the range in which the rifle was zeroed.

Reactions: Marine52
Thank you for your reply. I guess my question is more about the general procedure for cold bore data, then it is about this particular rifle.
I carried an M-24 in the Army but got injured and got out in ‘02. So it’s been 20 years since i have gotten this involved/technical with LR shooting. I’m not sure if it’s my age, or if it’s a “use it or lose it” type of thing, but i cannot remember the procedure for the life of me.
I couldn’t remember if you needed to collect cold bore deviations at all ranges or if it was calculated at the range in which the rifle was zeroed.
Thanks for your service. Good luck.

Reactions: Spindrift7