• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cold bore shot is usually high

TrapperSGD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
NW Arkansas
After shooting the short range tactical rimfire match a few times this week I noticed that the cold bore shot usually goes high by about an inch or so and then after a few rounds it settles in. I am shooting a Savage Mark II TR with CCI Subsonic ammo. How can I correct this problem? Bedding maybe?

Re: Cold bore shot is usually high

Aim low. Once you know where you cold bore shot tends to go, you can compensate for it. That's what I do anyway. Mine's usually low to the right.

Re: Cold bore shot is usually high

What I normally did in the past was shoot 3 groups of 5 rounds and adjusted my scope accordingly to the best group. I would wait a 24 to 48 hrs to depending on my schedule and shoot one round. I would see where the bullet hole was and I would adjust one more time to that shot. This is how I would adjust for cold bore shots when hunting also. After the 1st cold bore shot I would shoot 4 more shots and usually there was little adjustment to be done if any. Dialing my scope was not necessary.

When hunting you always know when the opportunity rises where your 1st shot will go since your scope is adjusted for a cold bore shot.