• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cold Bore Shot, No backdrop

lts1ow

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2018
First shot of the day, say a 2moa target with no backdrop and you can't see trace.

Hold left edge and send it, no impact.

Whats the next logical hold over ? (assume elevation is correct and wind remains the same)

5 quick questions to even begin answer:

1. Is rifle accurately zeroed?
2. What is zero distance?
3. What distance is 2MOA target at?
4. What is wind direction and speed?
5. What caliber, bullet, and MV?

5 quick questions to even begin answer:

1. Is rifle accurately zeroed?
2. What is zero distance?
3. What distance is 2MOA target at?
4. What is wind direction and speed?
5. What caliber, bullet, and MV?

Yes, rifle will hold 1/2moa if trigger puller does his job.
100yd zero
Say 400yd, so 8in circle plate
wind is unknown
6 creed, 110smk, 2994fps

So just in theory if you’re holding edge of the plate into the wind, miss, you can safely assume you have at least 8” (width of plate) of wind drift. So hold 1.5-2 MOA more into the wind. Assuming wind stays the same etc

I won’t list everything but there can be way more factors to consider, even between 1st to second shot if enough time is allowed. Upward winds caused by hills etc that may interfere with your “known” trajectory. Head or tail winds, values etc

But for the sake of my answer well assume you have the many other factors already accounted for and your first miss is a wind only result. I’m also assuming you have a basic idea of your caliber/rifles wind drift at this distance

Last edited:
The process should be,

Read the wind, if you suck at it, use a wind meter and take that value and apply it to your rifle

The first number in your rifles' G1 BC is the wind speed to determine your rifles MPH, so if you are shooting a 6.5CM

.58 - .60, call it 6 MPH so work, only in multiples of 6 MPH Brackets

So, now you have that determined, what it tells us, 6 MPH =.6 Mils at 600 yards,

200 - .2
300 - .3
400 - .4
500 - .5
600 - .6

That is your wind hold, if you did you doped your rifle correctly your elevation should be good, 2 MOA of error correct, so it's all wind.

I have no idea your caliber, but go to the bullet's information and pull the first number in the G1

Figure out where wind is coming from... this should be relatively easy if the wind is strong enough to force any significant correction on a 2 MOA target at 400 yards.

Why were you holding left edge of target? Was wind coming from the left (9:00 o’clock)?

Maybe you should try to hold target center if you truly could not determine were wind was coming from.

Without a backdrop it is very difficult to tell where you are without seeing splash. If you are just over it, and are shooting on relatively level ground, the actual splash may be obscured by the target itself so I would aim my next shot a bit lower (perhaps hold lower center) to see if I can find the target or see a splash in front. Note that the higher the target is above ground the harder it is to spot misses without a clear backstop.

As a last resort, you will need to bring targets closer and confirm elevations before moving to 400.

If wind is blowing left to right and you hold left edge and dont make a hit, hold over an additional plate width to the left and send it.

It seems your simple question got overanalyzed by some. ?

Reactions: Timo Turl
Cause I suck at reading wind.

Well we all do but you can still usually tell if it's a right or left wind. But I agree with @A&8's ...if I'm just practicing I would put one in the dirt at the 6 and try to observe the left or right correction needed. If you don't have that luxury I would hold a bit more left if I was confident that the bullet was seeing a left to right wind

Scenario was a first stage of a match from last year that I boogered up.

Basically, if one has no idea of impact and or, wind, whats a logical progression of trying to bracket the target.

The process should be,

Read the wind, if you suck at it, use a wind meter and take that value and apply it to your rifle

The first number in your rifles' G1 BC is the wind speed to determine your rifles MPH, so if you are shooting a 6.5CM

.58 - .60, call it 6 MPH so work, only in multiples of 6 MPH Brackets

So, now you have that determined, what it tells us, 6 MPH =.6 Mils at 600 yards,

200 - .2
300 - .3
400 - .4
500 - .5
600 - .6

That is your wind hold, if you did you doped your rifle correctly your elevation should be good, 2 MOA of error correct, so it's all wind.

I have no idea your caliber, but go to the bullet's information and pull the first number in the G1
A few weeks ago I play with this method with a 6.5CM, 260, 308, 7 saum and 338 Norma.

It’s simple and it works.
out to 800 it was effective.

It diverged a bit at the 1200 target but I’m pretty sure I’ve read here it’s a 1000 and in method and at those ranges a simple method is nice to have.
The only honest man on SH.
I don’t know about that.
There’s a few here I trust.

depending on how many shots it is at the target...

id work a couple 1/2-3/4 target width hold adjustments...generally i know which direction the wind is favoring and i work off that, if i started conservatively, id work out...if i started with a heavy call, id work in...

if that doesnt work after 2-3 shots, id go back to original wind call and hold top edge of plate, then bottom edge of plate

if the wind is light enough i know edge of plate should be enough, id start working up/down right away and skip adding wind...

if that doesnt work...id scrap worrying about hitting the plate and find some dirt to shoot at to figure out whats going on...ive seen rifles get dropped or take a hit, and the zero shift over a mil in whatever direction....that happens in a situation with no splash or trace to see, youre never going to catch up to it trying to hit the plate with anything logical

an 8" plate @ 400, ive shot enough to be confident my wind call isnt going to be off much so if im missing with anything i feel should be close, its damage control/problem solving mode to get things back in order

also being first stage of the day, im assuming early morning, low sun...seen many occassions the sun position causes some funky vertical deviations across the board on shooters when it gets down low

strictly as you posed the question with your assumptions, just keep adding 3/4 target width til you hit...but those assumptions cant always be assumed true

Last edited:
I also suck at calling wind. I'm old but new at this wind calling thing.
BUT, I can probably call a 10mph wind to within 5mph, maybe 3.
Got to be a big wind to miss a 2MOA plate at 600 or less.