• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cold bore shot shift- None

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I have noticed alot of topics of first shot /cold bore shot in magazimes and on the internet. I only just got my first precision bolt gun about a year ago ( .300wm built by warner tool co, 26"bartlien barrel, rem700 l/a.

I have noticed on every trip to the range ALL my cold bore shots have no shift in accuracy, meaning all my first/ cold bore shots are on target. I guess this is a good thing. Is this common?

This is from a Clean/cold bore.

Re: Cold bore shot shift- None

I've developed quite a few loads in my Howa 30-06.
My favorite load's cold-bore shot has a 30fps difference in velocity, which remains about 1/2moa high and right from the others.

The load I just developed has a 50FPS difference in velocity, which does not keep it in the accuracy node the other shots do. That load still shoots about 1/2moa from the others, only it is inaccurate in a random direction.

Some loads are "gift horses" without much of deviation whatsoever.

Clean cold bore or foulded cold bore?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have noticed on every trip to the range ALL my cold bore shots have no shift in accuracy, meaning all my first/ cold bore shots are on target. I guess this is a good thing.<span style="font-weight: bold"> Is this common?</span> </div></div>

Yes. In fact I would say it's the norm for a "cold/fouled" bore. However a "cold/clean" bore often will shoot to a different POI than a "warm/fouled bore"

When I have noticed cold-bore POI shift, more often than not it appears to have been shooter-induced.

Also if its a really good shooter, would you even notice it at 100? How far are your cold bore attempts. Maybe set up a 300yd target and try it.

I've had a rifle that was 2" left and 1" high at 100 yards consistently, cold bore, fouled. It was something to do with the stock or action, because I switched barrels and it still had a different cold bore shot. It's not me, because it's the only rifle I've had that did it. I never did find out what caused it, just learned to live with it. At 100 yards, it's not that big of a deal to account for. I'd hate to have to account for it on a 1000 yard cold bore shot. Consider yourself lucky yours has a consistent cold bore shot. My main hunting rifle shoots them all into a cluster, no change. If I had a hunting rifle that had a different cold bore shot, I would get rid of it.
-Dan

Some guns do not always return to the same POI...I had a ruger m77 that was like that. Now after my fist shot the next 5-7 were very predictable but that first one could be an inch to 1.5 inches out from the last cold shot.

Most the guns that I've had will have the same cold bore shot but I've had a couple that shot to the same POI from shot 1 to shot 20.

My current PSS shoots the same cold bore shot but will string a little as the barrel heats, it's not a lot but there is still some walk...truing the action and assuring the barrel is on straight would help this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I have noticed cold-bore POI shift, more often than not it appears to have been shooter-induced. </div></div>

This has been my experience also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clean cold bore or foulded cold bore? </div></div>

CLEAN/Cold bore

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's very normal for a Cold/Clean deviation. </div></div>

My experience also has been cold clean deviation is normal, and cold fouled is no deviation.

If you got a rifle that will shoot a cold clean bore with zero deviation, you got lucky.

I always shoot a fouler shot before I group, but everytime I shoot my foulers they are point on. Sooooo, it's a toss up. It also depends very much on what is left in the barrel after cleaning. If you lightly oil your barrel, it can throw your first shot off a touch.
Bottom line is that with our precision guns, cold bore shots are often the most important! So everything you can do to assure that, then do it. Especially if you are into long range hunting. However, if you are already hunting long range then you should already have the knowledge of where that bullet is going every time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If you got a rifle that will shoot a cold clean bore with zero deviation, you got lucky. </div></div>

I guess I must have got lucky then!

I don't have any problems with my 308 in a cold bore, clean or fouled. It shoots right in the group that follows. I really haven't ever tried it at distance greater then 100yds, so may not apply, but I would assume it would still group the same at distance. Don't know, but is say its a good shooter with a good load.