• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report COLD Bore shot

camomallninja

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2009
Hi I was wondering if anyone knows how much I need to adjust between cold bore and warm?

How do I determine that?

Re: COLD Bore shot

If you don't know you need to buy a rifle, after that you need to shoot a whole lot, then after that, if you learn to shoot correctly you'll find out a cold bore deviation is a myth with 99% of most rifles.

Go out and shoot it!!! That is the only way you will know what your rifle does. Keep good records of each shot.

Every barrel is different, could be a little or a lot.

What Ive found with my barrels is it makes no difference cold clean if the bores are left dry. Or I should say shot dry. I never leave oil in my bores.....unless im storing them for an extended period.

I say dont let it get into your head....just shoot!!!

With my AR at 300 meters the group is dead on from the first to the 10th. Is it because it's 5.56 and does not get as hot?

My CCB shot is just far enough from my WDB shooting that its worth knowing where it goes. My CDB shot is within my normal margin for POI.

CCB=cold clean barrel
CDB=cold dirty barrel
WDB=warm dirty barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camomallninja</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With my AR at 300 meters the group is dead on from the first to the 10th. Is it because it's 5.56 and does not get as hot?
</div></div>
heck no! when i shot smallbore competitivley, my cbs was way off..that was with a .22lr bull bbl after that first or second shot i was g2g

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't know you need to buy a rifle, after that you need to shoot a whole lot, then after that, if you learn to shoot correctly you'll find out a cold bore deviation is a myth with 99% of most rifles. </div></div>

But gee...that sounds like a lot of work!

And then what would I use as an excuse?...Just make it go away!!!

He-He!! Sarcasm caps lock off....

Good advice here.

FWIW
Wes in AZ

I'm pretty well convinced cold bore deviation is an operator headspace issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm pretty well convinced cold bore deviation is an operator headspace issue.</div></div>Then this is the space in Lowlight's head using my rifle for 5 shots (note the pic. is sideways; the CB is low):
IMG_2158.jpg

There's nothing wrong with the rifle, it's just one of the one-percenters. Here's a 700 yard group (I only fired four):
AE700yards.jpg

Do you guys dry fire before you shoot and STILL have a CB shot off of where your warm barrel hits?

We do dry fire or at least we definitely advocate dry firing prior, Graham's AE walks like that for some reason and you can see it actually walks, as the rounds are touching as its fired. So it's one of those 1% of rifles with a built in issue.

Normally I don't experience a cold bore deviation, but with some rifles it does happen.

I honestly have no idea what to think on cold bore shots, however i noticed a few things, which could be me, the ammo or the rifle.

at 100 yards with silver bear 62gr HP's my first shot (cold bore shot) is always dead cente, right where i want it, 100% bullseye!
the second shot then goes a little higher/to the left, 3rd shot is a little higher... but if i walk to my target, then walk back, laydown and take another shot, BAM!! dead center again!

If you shoot your rifle slowly the bore will never get that hot. And if you want to see how your rifle performs cold bore, then let the rifle cool between groups or shoot another rifle while letting the other one cool. The difference should not be that much. Or at least I have not seen a huge difference in my rifles.

well i dont shoot 3-5 shots groups in 3-5 seconds, usually its a good 30 seconds or more before i take my next shot. Im thinking ti may be the ammo or me! Time to bust out some match grade and find out!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jv101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At 100 yards with silver bear 62gr HP's my first shot (cold bore shot) is always dead cente, right where i want it, 100% bullseye!the second shot then goes a little higher/to the left, 3rd shot is a little higher... but if i walk to my target, then walk back, laydown and take another shot, BAM!! dead center again!</div></div>Of course one can't tell for sure on the internet, but chances are it's you. Why? Because you can repeat the cold bore shot. One shot would not heat the barrel enough to cause that radical a vertical string, and it wouldn't result in any windage component. I'm assuming, of course, that your barrel is free-floated.

yep could be me! I have some New manufactured black hills 68gr Match HP coming just to make sure/take the ammou question our of the equation, and to see how it groups at 100, 200 and 300 yards!

jv101,

Just as a thought. Take your first shot, stand up and then get back in position and take the next. Do this for each shot in a group. I'd be currious to see if the walking shots go away. It would indicate that there is something in your position or handling that is changing from shot to shot.

Rhys- I will do that for sure next time i get out to shoot, Here in ohio its been pretty windy and raining so i havent been able to get out in the past week. im hoping soon it gets nice enough out to let me get out again!

if it helps i shoot off a bipod with a bag in the rear to help stabilize it when shooting!

also when it comes to trigger control what are your guys opinions on what part of the finger to use and what not!

Load the bi-pod, but don't hard-hold the rifle. Spend time developing and double-checking your NPA, and dry-fire before your Cold Bore shot.

There's a sticky thread about fundamentals. In it is a discussion about trigger control.

Next time, hold the trigger back and wait until after the follow-through to re-set.

few question about that Graham-

1)what do you mean by load the bipod?
2) what does NPA stand for?

just found the fundamentals after i posted the trigger control question!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jv101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">few question about that Graham-

1)what do you mean by load the bipod?
2) what does NPA stand for?

just found the fundamentals after i posted the trigger control question! </div></div>

1) Apply a little forward pressure on the rifle.
2) Natural Point of Aim

With your AR you need to pull the trigger smoothly and hold it back through the recoil cycle. Try to get in the habit of hearing the click of the disconnect releasing after your followthrough.

Shooting for groups to tell you or your rifle's accuracy at 100yds with 62gr Silver Bear is an exercise in futility. Use the BH when it comes in to see what you and your rifle are really doing.

To the OP: Recording your data when you shoot will let you know what to expect out of your rifle.

The only time I have had issues between cold and warm barrels is when I had a bedding issue. Most print to the same area warm or cold at 100yrds. This was reinforced with the crappy CBS I was getting the last few competitions. I found where the action was seating after the first round. I re-bedded it and now it prints to the same place.

However, clean bore and fouled bore are different in all of mine and that is common with most shooters. Clean bores just do not shoot as well than a tube with a few foulers down them.

My .308 700 always prints the first shot high and left. The next two will be touching side by side. It looks like an L. I swear, I could go draw the pattern on the target before I shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rock71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My .308 700 always prints the first shot high and left. The next two will be touching side by side. It looks like an L. I swear, I could go draw the pattern on the target before I shoot. </div></div>

Barrels improperly stress relieved or with induced stress from improper fluting will often "walk" shots in a predictable manner.

Sometimes a walking zero will respond favorably to a barrel pressure pad out at the forward end of the stock's barrel channel. I use firm closed cell neoprene foam (Foamies) material to prevent barrel rebound.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jv101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I honestly have no idea what to think on cold bore shots, however i noticed a few things, which could be me, the ammo or the rifle.

at 100 yards with silver bear 62gr HP's my first shot (cold bore shot) is always dead cente, right where i want it, 100% bullseye!
the second shot then goes a little higher/to the left, 3rd shot is a little higher... but if i walk to my target, then walk back, laydown and take another shot, BAM!! dead center again! </div></div>

My experience with any Russian ammo is that it's all over the place no matter how you shoot it. In my match gun that shoots one little whole well under MOA with handloads the Russian stuff will group anywhere from 2-3 MOA!

I have a Mod 70 Winchester I bought from a Hide member. It is an excellent shooter and puts the CBS dead on the money. I like that feature.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camomallninja</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jv101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I honestly have no idea what to think on cold bore shots, however i noticed a few things, which could be me, the ammo or the rifle.

the second shot then goes a little higher/to the left, 3rd shot is a little higher... but if i walk to my target, then walk back, laydown and take another shot, BAM!! dead center again! </div></div>

My experience with any Russian ammo is that it's all over the place no matter how you shoot it. In my match gun that shoots one little whole well under MOA with handloads the Russian stuff will group anywhere from 2-3 MOA! </div></div>

yep, its not too bad for me, about 1-1.5" at 100 yards... I have some Black hills 68gr Match HP on its way to me now, whenever the wind dies down (about 30mph+ right now) ill be out giving that a shot!

TCA,

Im up in northern ohio, about 45min south of cleveland! wind sucks, if it wasnt windy it would be a great day...good enough for a t-shirt. but no, the wind ruins all my fun! so i was stuck inside bored and the gf was with one of her friends tonight, so i get to look at cars and guns i can not afford all day!

Cold bor or cold shooter??? AAAAAAA Franky

Just a thought.....but couldn't the myth of the cold bore shot be determined by removing all human interface with a rifle & testing it. By placing a rifle in a clamp or lead sled, then using a super low trigger weight.....like a few ounces & then using a string to pull the trigger.

Couldn't a person doing this experiment truely discover if his rifle shoots differently with a cold bore shot......? Because the human element would've been removed, which from what I'm reading here seems to be an explanation to this effect....

Have 232 CB, CCB, and FB's logged out to 500 yards and the only difference is me. I can start seeing a change in elevation during the summer months from the winter months from the raise in temp.

The bedding is a critical part of this CBS difference, if the bedding is not perfect, just carrying your rifle around/change in temp/bumped something/etc/etc will move the bbl'd action a minute amount and the first shot is actually settling the action in the bedding.

One way I check this is to shoot a shot, slap the barrel HARD one way, then shoot a shot, slap it the other way, etc. for all 5 shots. If this group is ANY different from a good, "normal" 5 shot group, you need to get your rifle bedded properly.

I take it a step further, and if I cannot remove the bbl'd action from my stock and remove my scope from the base, reassemble everything and still be within a 1/2 inch of last zero, there is something wrong somewhere.

HB

I never shoot a cold bore shot from a clean rifle. Clean it at the range after a practice day, then fire three to five rounds through it to foul it before leaving. This has worked for me.

well finally ran some match through my bushmaster varminter AR.
Was running Black hills 68gr match HP's, out to 300 yards i was getting a 2.7" 5 shot group! which statisfies me! and im sure that can be tightened up a bit with some practice/a better shooter!

dk-1,
I never shoot a cold bore from a clean rifle either. I dont clean my rifle though.
wink.gif
Honestly, the above group was shot with at least 250 rounds thru the barrel since last cleaning.

my rifle was sighted in at around 50 degrees. my cold bore around that temp is around 1/2 to 3/4 inch high at 100 yds. at 80 degrees my cold bore is 1 inch high. thats with a stock 5-r, leupold m4 mounts rings and scope. after my cold bore clean or fouled, the groups drop down to poa. cold bore is something you have to document over time(data book) so you know in advance where the cold round will go. when i went through sniper school i was taught to sight in for warm barrel and always document the cold bore precisely.

You'll get a lot of different opinions here, and some of them will be STRONG opinions. So with that in mind, I'll say first that I'm only stating my experience--I'm not debating with anyone.

I used to shoot a good bit with snipers from another agency, both for quals and for practice/fun. They had some rifles that put the CCB as much as 3/4" away from the subsequent shots at 100 yds. Most of their rifles showed some variation from the CCB to the rest of the group, however slight. We would swap rifles sometimes and some would do it in everyone's hands. The guy whose rifle (since replaced) always slung the CCB out could start out cold with my rifle (including CCB) and put them all in one hole; that proves to me that the problem with his rifle was not the shooter.

Many here preach fouling the bore before the rifle is stored. Many preach cleaning only at several hundred round intervals, or when accuracy begins to deteriorate. I generally try to clean at 10 - 15 round intervals. I personally believe that proper cleaning does not significantly accelerate barrel wear, and I think a 168SMK pushed by a load of hot powder down the bore at 2700fps is a lot tougher on the bore than a patch or a bronze brush (I've always suspected that boattail bullets are harder on bores than flatbase bullets, but I have no data to support that feeling and have never pursued the matter). Since it's MY rifle and I paid for it, I'll bank on what I believe based on half a century of shooting experience. No disrespect intended toward anyone offended by what they may perceive to be my ignorance. I clean my rifle at the end of every shooting session and it is stored clean and dry. I store it in a locked safe (the Chief has the only other key) at the PD with a dust cap on the muzzle. My CCB shot never deviates from the rest of my group.

YOUR rifle may sling the CCB out of the group; it may not. YOUR rifle may need to be fouled to control the CB shot; it may not. But just because Joe's rifle does something specific doesn't mean yours will; each rifle is a combination of mechanical factors and human input that requires you to figure it out individually to optimize performance.