• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Cold Hammer Forged AR-10 Barrels

demonsmokr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
The Lone Star State
I am sold on the cold hammer forged barrels. But have not found ANYONE who makes one for a .308 AR-10. From all the info I could find, its hard to not believe the advantages of having a CHF barrel. I am building my own AR-10 and I am not after precision shooting. I do not need a 1000yd gun. Its utterly useless for anyone who is not a military sniper or hit man. I dont see the reason to shoot a deer from 1000yd besides just to say you did. What I want out of my AR-10, is reliability and dependability. I want to make a combat rifle. One I can rely on with my life, so I want something that will last 20k rounds or more. I want something 2" MOA or less out to 600yards. I am wanting the 18" barrel for maneuverability, the 16" on an AR-10 just looks goofy to me. Anyone out there have any input on who makes a CHF barrel or something else I can rely on past 15k rounds?

Re: Cold Hammer Forged AR-10 Barrels

Well you seem confused. You want something super dependable, 2 MOA, combat ready, but you are concerned about hammer forging and how barrel length affects looks??

Buy a krieger and call it good

"I do not need a 1000yd gun. Its utterly useless for anyone who is not a military sniper or hit man."

"I want to make a combat rifle."

By the same logic why would you want a combet rifle?

Just get a chrome lined barrel and be done. Or as above any match barrel maker will do. A new barrel every 10k is cheap compared to the ammo needed to get there.

As for a barrel selection, the standard Armalite AR-10 barrels are:

1) 4140 Steel, Double-lapped;
2) Chromed-lined;
3) 1:11.25" twist;
4) Guaranteed to produce sub-2MOA accuracy (most do far better with quality ammo/shooter); and (MOST IMPORTANTLY);
5) CHEAP at only around $375 complete with gas block, barrel nut, etc. ready to install!!

Shoot the piss out of it for 10k (or more...YMMV depending on ammo, etc.) then replace it with the same $375 barrel and don't look back.

The only issue you'll have is the 18" barrel that you want. If you MUST have an 18", then go with the 20" and have it cut down and rethreaded...you are still in and done with a new barrel for <$450. Personally, for what you stated you want to do with the rifle, the 16" is more than adequate. I shoot my 16" AR-10 out to 800yds without any troubles and accuracy is FAR better than 2MOA.

I like cut barrels from folks like HS Precision. The well made cut stainless barrel seems to get all you'd want out of a barrel, except low price.

Buy a REPR and be done with it. CHF barrel and reliability like you want. "Combat Ready"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBoss0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a REPR and be done with it. CHF barrel and reliability like you want. "Combat Ready" </div></div>

+100000.

CHF + piston system = Long long operating time.

However, in a SHTF situation it would be near impossible finding replacement parts.

some parts for the repr is hard but if somebody told me -looking very hard at dpms bolts and firing pins next to the repr 's they both are the same design .....they will interchange so spare pares can be gotten ! the new reprs has no F-T-L ....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cz777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">some part for the repr is hard but if somebody told me -look very hard at dpms bolts and firing pins next to the repr 's -so i did without calibers etc spare parts in the making ?? </div></div>

WOW!! And I thought that black_ump's spelling and grammar were bad!!!
wink.gif

Care to translate that one for us, cz?

I dont want a REPR. I have read too many things about feeding issues, its heavy as hell, 4000$+ new. Whats the point? I am a little confused on what I want. The reason I want the 18" for looks is because I am getting the E1 Free float fore end from SWS. And it looks weird mounted on 16". I understand my current barrel does what I am asking. But I am thinking for future use, the way things are going, I see a potential for major problem on the civilians hands. That beings said, how am I going to replace my barrel every 10k rounds when they are not being made? That is the only reason I was searching for the CHF. But from my search, no one makes them for AR-10 style rifles. LWRC being the only ones making a somewhat AR style barrel that wont work for me. I am probably going to do what ORD suggest and just buy some extra barrels now. And basically stock up. Im still new to the black rifles, this is my first build, so yes Doc Holiday, I am a little confused on what I need and what I want. Suggestions and opinions would be appreciated.

And to dmg308. I want a combat gun, not for military shooting. I know how apathetic Americans are now to everything going on around us. But if you have not noticed, the government is encroaching more and more on our civil liberties and I would like to prepare for the worst case scenario, and I am sure you know what I mean. So yes, I would love to have a combat rifle for that purpose. No I do not want a 1000yd AR, because whats the use? Why take the chance of the AR not quite performing adequately, when you can have an super consistent bolt gun, that usually only fails due to operator error or poor ammo choice? I read my tactical books, and the Ultimate Sniper is my toilet gun. Not a day goes by that I dont read something out of it. I know what I am after, Im new to the ar field, so I dont know what I need to get there. Which is why I am here, enlisting the help and info from all you fine gentlemen here at snipershide.com.

Actually, just some info here: a NIB REPR can be had from around 3200, the mag/feeding issues were fixed, and it does everything you want in a nice package. But I understand you've made up your mind so off I go. Good luck in your search.