• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cold Temp Gun Lube?

Gnab2

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Central Texas
What is the best lube for a semi-auto in cold weather. In the past while hunting I had failure (Freeze up). I was looking at using G96 Synthetic Lube. The specs look right inline with use in colder weather.

What is your thinking on what to use?

Re: Cold Temp Gun Lube?

What temp. is colder weather?

Not sayin' there's not something better out there, but I use shooters choice. Smear a real thin layer on and yer gtg. The coldest I've used it in was -30 air temp.

It's the Marines I went to Bridge port for a cold weather training package. And we used this shit called "L.A.W." I think "Lube Artic Weather"... Couldn't tell you much more than that though.

For hunting?

For unknown numbers of enemy shooters with fully automatic assault rifles?

What kind of semi-automatic rifle?

What caliber?

What temperature?

Might the precip turn to rain?

How long will the gun be in freezing ambient temperature?

Will you have opportunities to clean the gun?

LAW is some good stuff. I use the Slip 2000 EWL up here in ND. Gets crazy cold and never have an issue. I also have a buddy using T25B and works great. Something to be careful of.. out, in, out. If you're outside and bring your weapon in, it will get a lot of condensation. If you go back out with it wet, it could freeze. Seen it only once where the weapon wouldn't work though.

As noted by Shootist.... Slip2000 or Weapon Shield by Steel Shield Tech, for a semi-auto.

Have read of some using graphite mixed into a paste with rubbing alcohol. Apply, then alcohol evaporates and your coated with graphite.

Very interesting. Also, Kroil. But test it before camping with Polar bears with a gun lubed with it.

CLP worked fine when it was 0 in Nevada.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Oh well. I guess we're more interested than he is. </div></div>

hahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Very interesting. Also, Kroil. But test it before camping with Polar bears with a gun lubed with it. </div></div>

I don't know if there is any truth to this, but I bought an HK MR 556 recently and the manual for it cautions against oils like Kroil. It says the oil could possibly creep in through the primer pockets and ruin primers. Again, not sure if this has ever really happened, but it makes me think.

High-quality 100% synthetic motor oils, such as Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc., are tough to beat. The lubrication qualities of synthetics across the temperature span (sub-zero to extreme) is unsupassed.

There was a thread sometime back regarding using synthetics.

Kevin

Sorry I got taken away by work. I am shooting an 30-06 in a older Remington 742. The temps are going to be down as low as -10F. I have several bolt guns but this is a special hunt and I almost have to use this gun.

Thanks

Gnab:

1.) Free the gun of all existing lubricant. Brake cleaner is the strongest but its one of the most toxic too. Try isopropyl alcohol if you hate the former. I'd remove the trigger assembly and bolt and recoil spring. Ain't hard. Probably 10 clowns on Youtube showing you how to.
wink.gif
I dump my parts in a bath of paint thinner aka mineral spirits contained in an ammo can. Close the lid - shake it up if it please you. Brush off stubborn crud with a 1" paint brush. Drip dry over night. Solvent will evaporate. Do this somewhere Mamma can't smell it. She gone be pissed!

2.) Lubricate the gun with Kroil.

3.) Stand the gun muzzle down for a few days allowing the excess Kroil to bleed not into the stock. Actually all guns with wood should be stored this way but your gun is not my business.

4.) Freeze your Mod. 742 in Mamma's deep freeze. Take it out and operate the action, dry firing it a few times and see how it works. If possible the best test will be to test fire the gun once you arrive in the environment where you'll hunt but that's obvious isn't? Before shooting dry patch the bore. The remaining small amount of Kroil will be good for it as a light rust inhibitor.

Just my extemporaneous thoughts without much reflection. Maybe helpful. You might expound on it.