• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Cold weather boot suggestions...

MrButterpants

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2004
Colorado Springs, CO
I desperately need a new pair of hunting boots...it's been the last piece of my gear that I've upgraded to nice stuff...tired of my feet freezing off with the rest of me being warm...but I'm not droppin 300 bucks on boots. Not in the budget.

I normally wear an old pair of insulated work boots...Danner so good stuff but only like 200gr of insulation. The weather we see is anywhere from -20 to 40 with lots of snow and mud. A little mountain hiking with lots of inactivity/sitting and some ATV drivin. Pretty typical Colorado.

Checked out Cabelas and fond 3 pair that looked interesting and priced good...wondering if anyone had feedback or other suggestions.

---

Cabela's Switchback 1,400-gram Hunting Pac Boots
ITEM: DZ-831017
$129.99
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...d&cmCat=EOF

---

Cabela's 11" 1,200-gram Outfitter Series™ Pro Hunting Boots
ITEM: DZ-812983
$179.99

---

Cabela's Arctic Bruin™ Hunting Boots
ITEM: DZ-812722
$149.99

Re: Cold weather boot suggestions...

Good socks are probably just as important. I wear a liner with Smartwool. If you have poor circulation, it doesn't matter what you wear, you'll have cold feet.

I really like the Schnee Arctic Pacs. with a pair of light wool socks and a 2nd medium weight pair I'm fine when the temp is 0 walking or sitting.

I've used my pair of Rocky Bearclaws (750 gram) for over a decade. They are about a size and a half oversize, and I fill the void with a pair of silk liner socks, and a loose fitting pair of Wigwam hiking socks.

With me, the key appears to be maintining blood flow. Between historically marginal peripheral, circulation and more recent congestive heart failure, I just can't seem to handle even the slightest restriction of my peripheral circulation.

But this combination floats the boat right fine, thankee...

Afoot and at rest, the feet remain pretty comfy.

Greg

I have never worn anything more than my 400 gram kennetreks or 400 gram danner pronghorns and that is hunitngvand ice fishing when 20 is a heat wave. Found that good socks that keep my feet from sweating are key to staying warm and comfy all day.

Danner Canadian 600g

You can advertise as much insulation as you want in the upper of any boot but until you insulate between the foot and the ground, your feet will get cold. This is the area good boots keep feet warm. Boots such as these and just about all, have no additional insulation under the foot. I have worn LaSportiva Nepal Extremes at -30F in Alaska with warm toes, LaSportiva adds high R value layer under the food in addition to the Thinsulate but at $400 plus, not in everyone's budget.

For standing around, carry a foam pad to stand on, does not need to be that large, just enough for your two feet. I also carry one for sitting unless sitting on my pack. Or, carry a full length pad to sit and place feet on.

When sitting, do not bend knees so blood can flow to feet. Eat a high calorie snack just as your are sitting down. Take a good drink as you sit down. Do not travel warm but cool, as you sit down, throw on a big puffy over layer to keep all the heat on the body.

Learn how to lace and tie boots for the cold. The simplest is, place all your weight on one foot, tie this boot then do this to the other. There many tricks to this but this is the most simple.

Garlic pills and aspirin thin the blood for better circulation and warm toes.

I still prefer bunny boots and when sized right, the hike just fine.

I have had good luck LaCross pac boots when active duty here. We placed an extra layer of wool felt sole and let it pack down.

The best and cheapest, find military green mukluks, place the LaCross felt liner in them, extra wool foot bed and spray them heavy with snowproof.

As far as the boots listed, I would not wear any of those in Alaska.

Good luck

Circulation/Fitness is good and I'm all about quality socks....never tried the pitstick on feet trick though. I've always avoided boots with a felt liner system just because I had a milsurplus pair a few years back and they were horribly uncomftorable to hike in. Guess I need to revisit the idea.

Cabela's 11" 1,200-gram Outfitter Series™ Pro Hunting Boots
ITEM: DZ-812983
$179.99

I have the 200 gram version of these for aobut 5 years now. So I can't speak specifically on the ones you listed, but as far as comfort, durability, water proof, and weight, they are great. When mine wear out I will definitely get another pair. I like an all leather boot and it is hard to find one now a days.

The higher end danners are just amazing. even a pudge like me can hump it up a mountain side with them on!

Don't count on any one pair of boots to help you if you post in one place for the day. You need a "system". I suggest a thin thermax or similar type sock, coupled with a good wool sock and boot cover, such as the Artic Shield, etc. Even then it may or may not work depending upon your circulation. What works for one doesn't mean it will work for you. Try Irish Setter boots, 1000 to 2000 gram insulate, with the above. If that doesn't work then you will have to still hunt. even PAC boots don't help me and they are a bitch to climb a mountain or big hill in. Don't waste your money on any "miracle" boot.

I bought a pair of Chippewa Artic 50 last year. I use them for farm work and they are comfortable enough to wear anywhere you want. The warmest boots i have ever owned. I believe they were around the $240 range. Not cheap but well worth the $ to me.

45.308 is right on.

I was stationed at Ft. Greely where the Army runs their cold weather testing center because it is at least -30 below for 30 straight days in the winter.

The 'Mickey Mouse Boots' and mukluks had one thing in common and that was insulation between the feet and the ground.

This is the primary key to warm feet. You just have to find the ones that are comfortable enough for you to hike in.

In my own experience and extra felt sole in a good boot with 200-400 gm of thinsulate is as warm as and easier to hike in as a 1000 gm pac boot.

You might try your current boots with the addition of a felt sole insert. If you can't find one, shoot me a PM I can send you some felt cast padding from our ortho clinic and you can cut that to size and see if it makes a difference.

Rick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not for walking, my feet stay warm until I stop.

Icebreakers

</div></div>

I wear Danner Pronghorn 400gr for whitetails in WI around Thanksgiving and they work great. I did get them a bit big so I could but a LaCrosse felt foot pad on the bottom thought. I also have a pair of boot blankets (not as big as these) that compress easily. I strap them to my fanny pack and put them on when I sit. Pretty easy setup that works well for me.

You can advertise as much insulation as you want in the upper of any boot but until you insulate between the foot and the ground, your feet will get cold. This is the area good boots keep feet warm. Boots such as these and just about all, have no additional insulation under the foot. I have worn LaSportiva Nepal Extremes at -30F in Alaska with warm toes, LaSportiva adds high R value layer under the food in addition to the Thinsulate but at $400 plus, not in everyone's budget.

For standing around, carry a foam pad to stand on, does not need to be that large, just enough for your two feet. I also carry one for sitting unless sitting on my pack. Or, carry a full length pad to sit and place feet on.

When sitting, do not bend knees so blood can flow to feet. Eat a high calorie snack just as your are sitting down. Take a good drink as you sit down. Do not travel warm but cool, as you sit down, throw on a big puffy over layer to keep all the heat on the body.

Learn how to lace and tie boots for the cold. The simplest is, place all your weight on one foot, tie this boot then do this to the other. There many tricks to this but this is the most simple.

Garlic pills and aspirin thin the blood for better circulation and warm toes.

<span style="color: #FFFF00">I still prefer bunny boots and when sized right, the hike just fine.
</span>
I have had good luck LaCross pac boots when active duty here. We placed an extra layer of wool felt sole and let it pack down.

The best and cheapest, find military green mukluks, place the LaCross felt liner in them, extra wool foot bed and spray them heavy with snowproof.

As far as the boots listed, I would not wear any of those in Alaska.

Good luck [/quote]

+100

You cant beat Bunny Boots hands down. I hunt fur in the winter and it can be 30 below, riding on the sled, wind will cut through anything but bunnys.

I don't know what size you would have to buy. Perhaps, get the felt soles and take them with you to try on some boots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="color: #FFFF00">I still prefer bunny boots and when sized right, the hike just fine.
</span>

+100

You cant beat Bunny Boots hands down. I hunt fur in the winter and it can be 30 below, riding on the sled, wind will cut through anything but bunnys. </div></div>

Drop Zone on Spenard between 36th and Minn has bunny boots for $25.

the outfitter's series cabelas brand are fantastic boots and you can wear them for a month or so and if you don't like em, send em right back and cabelas will take them no questions asked.....i had to do it (not on the outfitter series boots, but work boots from them) and they were more than happy to honor their guarantee

I've been using Chippewa Steel water proof Toe Super Loggers for about 10 years. They have been good to me. I hunt, at work and all winter long. They are life time warrantee and for a small fee you can send them to the factory and they do the magic and return them to you as they were brand new. Highly recommend them.