• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cold weather Boots?

FSRbikr98

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2010
Long Island, NY
Last winter I wore my otb jungle lites through the winter, but that was cold and unpleasant.

I'm hoping to get some suggestions for a cold weather boot for regular Leo duty. I work in an urban environment, and need a boot that doesnt slip on tile floors like my jungle lites do. (that is my only complaint about them.)

Please chime in with your suggestions.

Re: Cold weather Boots?

If you need a heavy duty cold weater duty boot, try Danners Ft Lewis boot. They are insulated with Thinsulate, comfortable, have kick ass vibram soles, and can be rebuilt by Danner when they wear out. I've got a pair I wore for many years in all kinds of weather, they are ready for a rebuild, but they are tough to beat!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shredder58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you need a heavy duty cold weater duty boot, try Danners Ft Lewis boot. They are insulated with Thinsulate, comfortable, have kick ass vibram soles, and can be rebuilt by Danner when they wear out. I've got a pair I wore for many years in all kinds of weather, they are ready for a rebuild, but they are tough to beat!</div></div> I also have a pair of the Ft. Lewis boots going on 18 years old and yes they're great for the winter. They're on their third set of soles right now and still going strong. One thing though is they're HEAVY if you have to run in them, but I wouldn't want anything else for 0-15*F weather and long terms outside with static time.

For a lighter option the Danner Acadia line is nice too and I use them for shorter stays outside or when a lot of movement is on the agenda. So long as the thermometer is above 15*F, they're a pretty good option.

Lowa is a great brand and I've been wearing a pair of their hikers for the last six months, but I can't speak on their cold weather line. The ones I have though are outstanding and I would be disappointed if their other models were any less.

The FT Lewis was my Riot Squad boot for several decades but for tsnadard Patrol they are too stiff to run in.

Look at the Danner Acadia boots. You can get insulated version which is warm, they dont slip and wear like iron. I ran around in patrol with these every day for 10 years

Bates stay away!!!... Okay i'm biased, I had to wear them everyday for 7 months, and they fell the hell apart. The rear end of the sole came off, and the "warrior leather" used in the issue boots sucks, it turns white after a while (in the desert).

Danners are bomb dig, so are thourgood www.weinbrennerusa.com they are the shit. Bellville are awesome too..

O since your LE... you have more options than I... Red Wings are known for their boots. try them.

+1 for Danner acadia. They are a good investment and will last a long time.

For work wear, I actually like the Dickie's insulated work boots. I wore them in some challenging conditions on a daily basis, and they always kept me warm and comfortabe. The polymer toe caps can save weight, and for day in, day out, even that difference is important.

Boots for cold conditions should be plenty roomy, to permit wearing proper socks and to prevent circulatory restriction.

No boots will maintain their weatherproof integrity without deliberate care. Once they are thoroughly broken in, weatherproofing care should be repeated regularly; I did mine on a weekly basis. The most important thing is to recognize that without dry socks, no boots are optimal; so always carry dry spares.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Boots for cold conditions should be plenty roomy, to permit wearing proper socks and to prevent circulatory restriction.</span>
No boots will maintain their weatherproof integrity without deliberate care. Once they are thoroughly broken in, weatherproofing care should be repeated regularly; I did mine on a weekly basis. The most important thing is to recognize that without dry socks, no boots are optimal; so always carry dry spares.

Greg </div></div>

Some REALLY good advice here, I spent way more time than I ever wanted to up by the arctic circle closer to Siberia than Alaska in the dead of winter and our issue boots were crap. Sno Seal the insides and outsides of crappy boots and they will be fine. Size the boots where you can freely wiggle your toes wearing thick wool socks and you will be surprised what temps you can endure.

OTB bootistan are great....kept my toes warm and toasty

white_mickey_mouse_boots_medium.jpg