• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cold Weather shooting

KaiserNorton

Sergeant
Minuteman
I recently added a scope to my 40x .22, in hopes of improving accuracy over the opens (my eyes are getting old). At the range today, the temps were -9 degrees, and I think I was getting irregular ignition because of it. My first shot (Federal 36gr hps) hit about a foot low. Had to use nearly all the UP in the scope's adjustments to get on paper, then it was up/down/left/right - never could get a cosistent POI, even when I switched to Remington/Eley Club Xtra. A quick glimpse down the bore to double check found "smoke" in the bore to the point that I couldn't see through. Like black powder shooters, I had to blow the smoke out to clear it. Needless to say, the bore and reticle weren't even close. Never had that happen before, but then I don't think I've ever tried to shoot rimfires in those temps before, either. Anyone else experience this phenomena with your rimfires?

The Kaiser

Re: Cold Weather shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiraz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the biathlon guys have special ammo for temps that cold.

might check here
http://www.lapua.com/

</div></div>

Yeah, I was thinking I should try some, unfortunately I'd have to mail order it - I can only find Eley locally.....

The Kaiser