• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Cold weather suppressor usage

J.A. Hamilton

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2004
Ohio
Any issues using suppressors in freezing weather? I have heard rumors of stainless barrels having issues with extreme cold. Any one have any issues with their suppressors in freezing weather? I am packing up my gear to go to a shoot tomorrow and wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to have any problems. Looks like it will be between 15-20 degrees most of the day. I have a stainless can and a titanium one. Just wanted to make sure that neither one would get brittle and have issues.

Josh

Re: Cold weather suppressor usage

Dont think you'll have a problem there but make sure you have a cover like the ones TAB gear makes or you wont be firing many rounds before mirage washes out your sight picture.

It'll be fine, but the mirage will be horrible. The first time I shoot my can was in Feb during a match (teens to twenties) and the first 2 or 3 shots were fine, but then.... JET EXHAUST! The ordered a TAB mirage guard the next day. Mine is a stainless can

I have a tab cover and love it! Glad to hear I probably won't have issues.

Also makes a good hand warmer after you get a few rounds through it. I used my HVT a few weeks ago in mid 20s with no problem.

MadDog

I would be willing to bet that you will have better sound reduction. A cooler can to help keep the gases cool, hmmm. Just my thought. And +1 on the mirage.

The cold thing is embrittlement of stainless steel in extreme (read arctic subzero) cold. Doubtful if your can will suffer; the problem usually shows up in stainless actions developing cracks in the recoil lugs.