• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cold weld issues (?) for long term in mag storage

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
i am wondering if the above possible problem exists and if anyone has knowledgeable feedback or experience with said long term in mag storage. i am thinking that steel case would be more likely to cold weld than brass. and wondering about the issue with "bi metal" cases as well as brass. i have seen very long term storage in WW2era guns with same dated ammo in mags that did work when tried up into the 70s. these 2 examples were 1911s with,of course,steel mags. i have no metallurgical knowledge,so just asking about a potential issue with very long term in mag storage,say 10-20 years. i do know that minty german WW2 made 8x56 & 8x33 was sold and shot 5 or so years ago (even now). i know ammo itself will stay "good" for many years,even non corrosive stuff. WW@ era 30-06/30 gov rounds fired as expected up into the 60s & 70s by my father and i. tx for any feedback.

The enemy of carbon steel is moisture. Regardless if it is a magazine, a vehicle or a piece of farm equipment. Rust builds up between two surfaces and expands. Causing the joint to fail. So, failure will depend on how much moisture the part has been exposed to. Usually a visual inspection will show any defects.