• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Collecting Disability and Social Security??

Krav69

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2007
I've got a neighbor whose health has taken a turn for the worse, and she's living oxygen bottle to oxygen bottle. She recently mentioned that she has applied for Social Security (she's 65 years old), and can no longer physically work.

I mentioned that she should go for Disability, since work is no longer an option, and she mentioned that "you can only collect Social Security or Disability, but not both". I'm 36 years old, so I'm not sure how any of this works.

She's in a financial bind, so money is critical. Can my neighbor collect both concurrently?

I ask the old sedges of the 'Hide, since you old people, despite being wrinkly and ornery, are wordly wise, and one is never too old to learn from a master.

Re: Collecting Disability and Social Security??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 'Hide, since you old people, despite being wrinkly and ornery, are wordly wise, and one is never too old to learn from a master. </div></div>

I thought it went: "Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose."
wink.gif

But to the question, I wouldn't be surprised if you can't collect both. Sorry I'm not much help, but good luck in your search sir. It is very kind of you to assist this lady in a time of hardship.

Sounds like she should apply for social security disability (SSDI) since he can no longer work. I don't know what the age cut off for that is though.

She is 65 and is not eligible for disability. It is for 64 and younger who have met the work requirement and are adjudicated disabled by a SS medical reviewer.

If the SSA finds you meet criteria for disability you then are eligible for Social Security Income because you are medically unable to contiue work. They are one and the same, not seperate. Disability income is based on amount you have pd in over your working lifetime just like SSI.

If she is 65 then she needs to apply for SSI and cannot apply for disability.

She would have to jump through a bunch of hoops if under 65 and about a 75% chance she will get denied the first go round. After she appeals for the second time if and when she becomes qualified they will determine a the time/date she was actually disabled. She will then not get a dime for 6 months(or maybe it was 7, cannot remember)after that date. Then her monthly determined disability income will be pd to her.

Everyone thinks obtaining/drawing disability is an easy chore. It may be for some lucky ones but nearly 80% are denied initially. Was a real PIA for me despite Dr. reports from my primary Doc locally, cardiologist in a ND clinic, rheumatologist in another clinic and a cardiologist and rheumatologist at Mayo Clinic. I had a pacer, prosthetic heart valve, scoleosis and severe ankylosing spondolitis(a form of RA which fuses vertebra, spurs, and tendons and ligaments lose elacticity) and do to cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure was down to 22% injection fraction on my ticker and they STILL denied me the first go round. Took further personal letters from 3 different Docs to finally qualify me. Was a real mental thing for me as I had quit my job. However when they did qualify me it was back to the day I terminated employment.

HTH
Respectfully,
Dennis

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Everyone thinks obtaining/drawing disability is an easy chore. It may be for some lucky ones but nearly 80% are denied initially. Was a real PIA for me despite Dr. reports from my primary Doc locally, cardiologist in a ND clinic, rheumatologist in another clinic and a cardiologist and rheumatologist at Mayo Clinic. I had a pacer, prosthetic heart valve, scoleosis and severe ankylosing spondolitis(a form of RA which fuses vertebra, spurs, and tendons and ligaments lose elacticity) and do to cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure was down to 22% injection fraction on my ticker and they STILL denied me the first go round. Took further personal letters from 3 different Docs to finally qualify me. Was a real mental thing for me as I had quit my job. However when they did qualify me it was back to the day I terminated employment.

HTH
Respectfully,
Dennis </div></div>

Too true! It is highly recommended to any in such a situation to seek legal-assistance to navigate the appeals process(as Dennis noted - unless you are in a coma or effectively paralyzed, you will almost certainly be denied at first). Company's like Binder & Binder(that cat in the bad cowboy hat on TV), Allsup, etc. specialize in this. As noted, the Disability/SSI process is daunting, lengthy and way more difficult than most believe!!(I have heard it wasn't always this way - but has been for some time now)

SDWhirlwind is correct, disability is Social security for those that cannot work but are not elidgable to collect due to not meeting the age requirements.

The process is difficult but I believe that is also has something to do with the individual that looks over your application/claim. In other words I think that there is some interpretation in the prodcess which can either help of hurt your claim approval.

here's the catch ..she worked all her life and contributed to the System...this makes her inelegible to recieve benefits...
you must never work or contribute to qualify ...being here illegally also helps speed the process up...

Get a lawyer who does this type of cases only, not some run of the mill bottom feeder.