• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Color Filling an AR Lower Pictograms???

MtGoat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2003
Middleton, Idaho
What product is used to color fill an AR Lower and have it come out so bright and clean? Any tips and tricks to making it look nice?

This:
SpikesLower.jpg

To this:
SpikesColorFillLower.jpg

Don't need a red spider on the receiver but the red and white pictograms look sharp (in my opinion
smile.gif
) rather HK'ish
sick.gif

Or are these anodized red and white ???? I would think that it is a paint stick but don't see it in Brownells catalog.

Pat

Re: Color Filling an AR Lower Pictograms???

You can do the crayon route to see if you like it. It is temporary so it can be reversed. There is a sticky write up on XD Talk web site.

The crayon is a great idea. Let's you see what it will look like before it becomes semi-permanent.
The "safe" pictogram may be too much in white as I look at it. Oh well black crayon
smile.gif

Pat

some testors model paint would work well, I think you can pick them up at wally world or any hobby store or crafts store.

Testors model paint works great. I clean the area with brake clean or thinner and apply the paint by dabbing it in with a dental pick. You can grind points on to thin welding rods it works well also. Fill up the impression with paint and let it dry partially then wipe over the top with mineral spirits on a clean cloth to clean up the edges. I am over simplifying it but with a bit of practice you will get great results

The Laq Stik sticks won't hold up to oil & solvents. They never really dry like enamel.

Testors model paint is fairly good for the application. Need to clean the area with some brake parts cleaner first. You can use a skewer or tooth pick to dip the paint (you may have to thin it some), place the point in the marking and allow capillary action to draw it in to fill.

Any that you get on the surface can first be daubed up with the edge of a tissue, then use a piece of stiff card stock, or cereal box cardboard with just a little thinner soaked into the cardboard to block (drag the cardboard or rub with a little circular motion holding it flat on the surface) to remove the overage off the surface. Repeat as necessary with clean card stock until all the overage is removed.

Allow ample time to dry.

i used a dental tool and testors enamel. then when almost dry, i use a Q-Tip and WD-40 and clean it up