• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colorado 1000+ yard range

Brisendines

Private
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2018
I hear Frank talk a lot on the podcast about shooting over 1k yards at 'Pawnee.' is that Pawnee sportsman's center or is it out in the national grasslands? I'd like to try my hand out at extended distances.

I don't know about Pawnee, but if you are in or south of Denver, it's not too long of a drive straight down I-25, to get to Raton, NM. Just south of the town is the NRA Whittington Center.

Reactions: delfuego
The Steel Marksmanship Challenge runs a number of different events up near Pawnee Sportsman's Center (Pawnee is a little south of Briggsdale, the SMC location is just east of it) that have distances of 1,000 yards or more.

They have monthly PRS club series matches that usually include targets to 1,500. They also have monthly "1-Mile Fun Shoot" events where you essentially pay a range fee to shoot as far as you want on their firing line (which lets you stretch to about 2,000 yards, if I remember correctly). Finally, starting next month, they're introducing monthly ELR matches that will be from 1,000-2,500 yards. Overall it means you can go out there and shoot past 1,000 yards at least 3 days a month (usually on a Sunday) if you're so inclined.

The 1-Mile Fun Shoot events are great for dipping your toes into long range shooting. They're an all day affair, so bring more ammo than you think you'll want to shoot (because when you're close to the plate at a mile you'll want to keep shooting until you hit it, then you'll want to hit it twice in a row, then three times in a row...). There's a TON of steel at the event besides just the mile plate starting at about 300 yards and working all the way out to the 3 different 1 mile plates. That said, I haven't been there this month and so far he's just added more steel every month to the point where it's honestly a little crazy how much steel is there to shoot (and Kyle, who runs it, can give you GPS distances from you exact location to any target out there). The people who attend are usually really helpful if you're a beginner looking to get started (it was the first rifle event I attended and I learned a lot and had a lot of fun).

Pawnee Sportsmans Center is on the Pawnee grasslands, and there is a 1000 yard range there. I believe there is also one in Byers, CO. We have a 1000+ yard range here in Cheyenne, but it's a members only range. Not sure how far you are from WY though.

The Steel Marksmanship Challenge isn't that the guy that likes to talk shit about everyone?

Pretty sure it's the same guy who I don't think I ever met but likes to act like he knows me, spewing shit behind my back locally and acting like I wouldn't hear about it.

Reactions: adpick
I haven't heard Kyle talking crap about people or heard rumors of that, but I don't pay attention to that sort of thing so I can't say for certain that isn't the case.

I do know that his PRS match is very different than most though, and in a way that makes it more difficult for sure. Most 4-P stages have an IPSC at about 200-300 yards or so to be shooting at. His is at about 500-550 yards if I remember correctly, which definitely makes things a bit difficult when you get to a standing position. Some people are also not fans of a heartrate stage where you had to roll a barrel, but I thought it was pretty interesting and fun.

Fucking drama.... lol why can’t dumbasses like that just shoot. What a tool. I guess I’ll stay in Cheyenne and shoot.

The Steel Marksmanship Challenge isn't that the guy that likes to talk shit about everyone?
That's you Frank.

My limited interactions with these guys; they have been nothing but friendly. They even held a benefit match last autumn for a lady suffering from cancer.

That's you Frank.

My limited interactions with these guys; they have been nothing but friendly. They even held a benefit match last autumn for a lady suffering from cancer.

Please, spare me and why are you even here,

Benefit match, you don't say, you must have missed me showing up and drop a few things off for them ...

Eat a dick, a big one, and please don't respond, just leave, when you reach the level of doing what others have for this community maybe your and his opinions will matter. Be positive fuck off and give everyone a break.

Now I just want to poison everything they do, nice loud, and public like

Reactions: camotoe and adpick
You don't have to hear it, I have it in writing, he made the mistake of texting his bullshit about me, and of course, I have it.

Fuck him, he wants to run around and talk shit, one-day people will realize it all comes back.
Fair enough. I was just going off first hand experience and what I had seen. I didn't mean to come across as calling you out, just didn't want to imply like I knew anything about it either way since honestly the extent of my interaction with him has been pleasant enough when I compete in events. I know not many are happy about the stages he puts together in his PRS matches (and I agree, they're confusing as hell) and I have heard that he doesn't take feedback on how to improve the stages very well.

One of them had 6 different targets spread across a decent expanse of field. Easy enough, except for the part where targets from 2 or 3 other stages were mixed in between the targets that you were supposed to shoot for the stage and every target was painted white with many sharing shapes or sizes. The target clutter is great for the fun shoot days where you have lots to shoot at, but not so great for competitions. From what I've heard he already has the stages planned for the rest of the summer though and doesn't want to change them for the PRS matches.

Wow... That escalated quickly... Sorry guys I'm new here.

I'm interested in checking out the steel shoot. I am a member at Byers and depending on mirage I can usually get on my half size silhouette at 1000 within 3 shots or so and hammer away all day. Should I stay there and practice or will I learn something new pushing it out further? My buddy has a 308 so I'm glad to hear there's other targets to go for. I've seen people do amazing things with a 308, but I'm not sure my friend's ego can handle me whipping him with my creedmoor "girl's round." :cool:

Reactions: Bender

I'm interested in checking out the steel shoot. I am a member at Byers and depending on mirage I can usually get on my half size silhouette at 1000 within 3 shots or so and hammer away all day. Should I stay there and practice or will I learn something new pushing it out further? My buddy has a 308 so I'm glad to hear there's other targets to go for. I've seen people do amazing things with a 308, but I'm not sure my friend's ego can handle me whipping him with my creedmoor "girl's round." :cool:
.308 is a fine round, but as you know, 6.5 is better.... lol. Just keep shooting.

Please, spare me and why are you even here,

Benefit match, you don't say, you must have missed me showing up and drop a few things off for them ...

Eat a dick, a big one, and please don't respond, just leave, when you reach the level of doing what others have for this community maybe your and his opinions will matter. Be positive fuck off and give everyone a break.

Now I just want to poison everything they do, nice loud, and public like

Wow......just wow

If you saw what I did, even after people like MHSA donated to them, what was said about them, not just me, you'd say WOW too

This is inside politics, if you don't understand, not part of it, etc, mind your own business there is a lot more here than meets the eye

Casual outside observers don't get it and won't without seeing the entire deal

You don't ask for a prize donation and then a week later say you are gonna bury the company

I've been inside the fence in the past - glad to be back out frankly. There are some damn stupid people in this business. Damn stupid.

I got burned out to some large extent by the flaky, ego filled fuckheads that kept piling on from every direction.

Probably the worst was the folks who are factually correct, who think that being right and being a complete asshole were mutually exclusive.

If you saw what I did, even after people like MHSA donated to them, what was said about them, not just me, you'd say WOW too

This is inside politics, if you don't understand, not part of it, etc, mind your own business there is a lot more here than meets the eye

You don't ask for a prize donation and then a week later say you are gonna bury the company

The thing is, you are not gonna troll me because you don't like PRS comments I have made in Public and come here without all the facts,

Whether I come off harsh or whatever, Defluego makes a point of trolling me over the PRS BS and is not privy to what was said and done, of which I have the actual statements. He has a personal issue with me over the PRS, if you want to defend someone you better know who and what you are defending before you try putting it off on me.

Pretty sure it's the same guy who I don't think I ever met but likes to act like he knows me, spewing shit behind my back locally and acting like I wouldn't hear about it.

The idea that “he” was the only one to make said “benefit” shoot happen is completely absurd.
It was the community as a whole that rallied together and made it happen. Kinda selfish in my opinion to, for the most part demand recognition for the success of the event. It was not for him or for any of the rest I us for that matter.

For a small business owner to talk shit about other companies products without actually testing said products is probably not the best practice to be successful.
There’s more validity in product evaluations and testing conducted by people that “actually shoot” and actually put things through an honest testing process. Then in return, give a company their honest opinion “privately” & give them a chance to work the bugs out.....not just talking shit about them on FB having never used any of said products.

I do recall the conversation Lowlight is referring to.....kinda went something like “he’s a troll, bad for business, needs to be buried, quit feeding the troll, etc.”
Guess the shoe on the other foot isn’t fitting all that great for someone right now.

Reactions: Lowlight
I understand the Steel Challenge is getting pulled out from under him as we speak.

He made some long rambling post (on FB) how it's all MHSA's fault and that they constantly demeaned him when he came into the shop. He consistently claims they treat their customers bad and it's all their fault. Cause he is the honorable guy in all this back and forth.

I like the part where he was the point man for the chassis, but really he did not solicit it, even after mentioning and soliciting it, and that MHSA offended him by deliberating on whether to give a prize to the event. Sure they did, but they were not sufficiently excited about giving it away according to him which makes them bad. MHSA putting thought into prize table donations is bad business, LOL

What I found especially funny in his post was, it was all about how "He Felt" after talking to the folks at MHSA. He admitted to the conversation, saying he was talking shit but they deserved it because they treat customers terribly and that people only use them because they carry stuff people need. The true measure of a business is to follow his lead.

The classic move was when called MHSA to get on the Everyday Sniper Podcast, he spoke to Mike pretending not to know anyone. He wanted to come on and talk Reloading because Adam said he didn't use QuickLoad and Kyle called up to give his expertise on the subject. Mike listened and thanked him, sure that felt demeaning too. For a guy, I don't think I ever met, calling me a Hobbit one week and asking to get on my podcast the next is ballsy, props for that. I did like the Horrible Hobbit comment and I have used it several times since that should make him feel less demeaned.

I understand the Steel Challenge is getting pulled out from under him as we speak.

He made some long rambling post (on FB) how it's all MHSA's fault and that they constantly demeaned him when he came into the shop. He consistently claims they treat their customers bad and it's all their fault. Cause he is the honorable guy in all this back and forth.

I like the part where he was the point man for the chassis, but really he did not solicit it, even after mentioning and soliciting it, and that MHSA offended him by deliberating on whether to give a prize to the event. Sure they did, but they were not sufficiently excited about giving it away according to him which makes them bad. MHSA putting thought into prize table donations is bad business, LOL

What I found especially funny in his post was, it was all about how "He Felt" after talking to the folks at MHSA. He admitted to the conversation, saying he was talking shit but they deserved it because they treat customers terribly and that people only use them because they carry stuff people need. The true measure of a business is to follow his lead.

The classic move was when called MHSA to get on the Everyday Sniper Podcast, he spoke to Mike pretending not to know anyone. He wanted to come on and talk Reloading because Adam said he didn't use QuickLoad and Kyle called up to give his expertise on the subject. Mike listened and thanked him, sure that felt demeaning too. For a guy, I don't think I ever met, calling me a Hobbit one week and asking to get on my podcast the next is ballsy, props for that. I did like the Horrible Hobbit comment and I have used it several times since that should make him feel less demeaned.

What reason is the shoot being pulled!!!???!!
That’s a pretty good indicator.....MHSA wasn’t involved in the relationship between him and the land owner. The shady stuff that has taken place there had nothing to do with MHSA

Reactions: Lowlight
Well you are a Hobbit and can be horrible .

I went rounds with him about match costs on the local level and the term mercenary is what came to mind .

Reactions: delfuego

I went rounds with him about match costs on the local level and the term mercenary is what came

I went rounds with him about match costs on the local level and the term mercenary is what came to mind .

Gee, that all sounds really familiar

HEY!

I heard phones were ringing today, calls to Mommy to put Frank in Time Out! LOL as if,

The funniest was hearing about the "Eat a Dick" comment, especially considering that comment was in response to someone acting as if they "knew" him vs being HIM, so who exactly did I tell to eat a dick? Cause the read was not the same as the retelling. I do promise to keep a straight face when I go in this week to pick up the Kraken. I will totally act surprised, "Eat a dick, me, really, I said that to who, are you sure it was me?"

And for shame on you guys for laughing at a Sophomoric Joke, you're the real problem, LOL

This has been obscenely entertaining and I thank you for calling me out early on and talking shit behind my back, had you not fired the first shot, I might not have been privy to all this Comedy Gold unfolding every day since.

Beware the man that buys Ink by the Barrel,

Peace Out Homies

hey frank slightly off topic watched your tika tac a1 vid with the bartlein barrel change can you explain why you gained 150fps with a barrel 2 inches shorter over the tikka barrel you didn't explain why?

When I lived on the front range I drove down to the grasslands. You can shoot as far as you care too. Now I live in the Vail Valley I go to a few places within an hour of here on public land that I can shoot out to 1500 or more if needed. I only go to ranges if I have to.

Reactions: Brisendines
Talk about entertaining.... ^^^

I live out in Custer County (about and hour west of pueblo) and I shoot on a school section that's wide open. I've got out to 1100 but I have no doubt that a mile could be had. It'd be nice not to hike steel out and I'm not all that far from Raton so I my have to check it out.

Hondo, Welcome to CO. I can take you to my spot then we can do a nut run at Bruce’s in Severance after.

Just make sure you wear a condom. Probably best to put it on before you hang out with folks around here. Hell, some of these folks you should probably have a midget blow a condom into your anus and then sew down the ring as a courtesy. Especially when they talk about their time in the Navy and want to show you their “spot”.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
Just make sure you wear a condom. Probably best to put it on before you hang out with folks around here. Hell, some of these folks you should probably have a midget blown a condom into your anus and then sew down the ring as a courtesy. Especially when they talk about their time in the Navy and want to show you their “spot”.

Lol!!!

The King strikes again. Lol

I mostly run with 10th group guys down here and when they say "do a nut run" at "Bruce's" they mean they have a buddy named Bruce who has lined up 65 hot chicks who are looking to catch a hot dog for dinner.

Bruce’s bar in Severance, Rocky Mountain oysters..... all you can eat a few days during the week and they have Buffalo as well. ?

Right at a mile away from my house. I’ve drunk walked it.

Myself and others from the area shot at Byers a couple times a few years back now. They had 600 benchrest on Saturday and 1000 on Sunday. Do they still do this? They had a nice target facility there. I wish it was closer I'd like to shoot there again sometime

Grew up in Colorado until age 27.

Pawnee is a nice place but the wind out there sucks huge nuts. We used to go to "Slaughterhouse" which is a range by Bailey but it may have been shut down by now because people leaving trash. Otherwise just go find a nice spot in a National Forest? I'd suggest by Cowdrey/ Independence Mountain. Only a couple hours from town, and you can shoot as far as is humanly possible.