• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Colorado guided Elk hunt question

tireys

StealthMode223
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2009
Show Me State
I have hunted Colorado before but it was in 1997 and it was a a self guided hunt and it was also when a Bull tag was still $250.
What would be about the average cost of a fully guided rifle hunt be for the early rifle seasons for say a hunt party of 3-4 guys? This might also make a difference in price but one of the guys is able to walk but, he has a fused ankle and can't get around the steep mountains without some motorized assistance. I know we have some guides on the hide so if you don't want to post here in this thread please send me a PM.

Gotcha, we could possibly do a DIY hunt but would need to be in an area that allowed truck access or ATV's.

A few points from memory, but check recent regs as things change and my mind sometimes lets me down.

Colorado has become much more restricted on ATV use in the last five to ten years by way of closing a number of trails. Still plenty of options, but there are heavy fines for getting off designated trails and BLM/Forest Service roads. Can't remember the distance you can get off, but it is something like 20 feet. Trails which used to be open are not always marked accordingly, so you need an updated map that shows access. I know of one instance of Gunnison county closing their road to ATVs, which is a bit of a pain when the county road runs as an artery through National Forest/BLM in that you have to haul your ATVs to get back on a forest service road. Bottom-line, it's become more complicated than it was ten years ago!

Colorado also requires rifles to be in a case when they are being transported and the magazine to be fully unloaded. It used to be several years ago you could open carry a loaded hand gun. To use a handgun in a big game hunt, there are minimum requirements for caliber and maximum lengths of barrels. If I recall correctly, the bare minimum would be a .357 loaded with +P type ammo from Buffallo Bore or something similar, with more suitable being .44 mag and +P loaded .45 LC ammo.

Colorado also requires a permit to use ATVs. Just an expensive sticker to put on your ATV so that more tax can be collected.

I don't know how much of this applies to the Craig area. I visit the area regularly, but it is not my choice area of hunt so some local research (Moffat County), in addition to State research is in order. HTH.

Last edited: