• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Colorado: Places to Shoot, People to Shoot With

earthquake

Area Man
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    Edit:: I moved away from Colorado in summer 2014.

So
    I've been in CO for 5 years now and have never shot here, except for the range in Cherry Creek and out at Dumont (but that was work related). I'm interested in finding some place to shoot, at least to 500 yards, and that I don't have to become a member, get sponsored, pay dues etc.

Are there good open public lands to shoot on anywhere near Denver? I live up in Black Hawk so the foothills are closest.

Thanks!

Re: Colorado: Places to Shoot, People to Shoot With

Pawnee grasslands...all over BLM/National Forest land. Make sure to check with DOW as I believe west of I-25 there is a max caliber during hunting season unless you have a game tag. Not sure if there is a northern boundary for that.

Just consult with the local BLM/NF/DOW offices as they will let you know when and where you can and can't shoot.

Thanks! Will do.

Check out www.bcgc.com, it has a 600 yd. range that wouldn't be too far of a drive but you do need a membership unless you are competing in a tournament. I have shot at a lot of different shooting ranges in different parts of the country and Buffalo Creek is definitely my favorite.

I am looking for guys to shoot long range with. I am just sw of downtown denver. I have been to the grasslands one time and there was plenty of room to shoot there. I am free most weekends, let me know if you want to hookup some time and put some downrange. I shoot 50's mid range calibers and some class 3 weapons.

I am transfering up to Buckley AFB next month if any of you guys want to get together and shoot.
    Tuck

There is a very cool and FREE DOW range just south of Buena Vista with steel rifle targets out to 1040 yards. I was just there yesterday evening. They have everything from full size animal cutouts to 1/4 sized poppers, probably 50+ steel targets spread out from 285 yards to 1040 yards. It is well worth the trip. A coyote chasing a rabbit, oversized prairie dogs, an elk, a few deer, a 3/4 size buffalo, a IMS ram, you name it the steel is there. There is a slighly over 1 MOA square at 1020 yards we give a pretty good workout.

Take 285 south of BV about 13 miles. Watch for a sign on the right that says Chaffee Country Recycling Center and take a left into the facility. I'll try to get some pics next time.

It is well worth the 1:45 trip it takes me to get there from COS. You never have to go down range for the steel unless you want to paint them up yourself. Someone is taking really good care of the range and they paint the targets up almost every morning. Take flat black and white paint with you. With it being close to hunting season you will get the local hunter sight-in, but again since you don't HAVE to go down range it is no big deal - just a few more cease fires for them to hang and retrieve paper targets.

EDIT - Oh and they also have 3 pistol bays but you need to bring your own targets for that. The bays go to 25 yards.

Went there again this eve. The targets were all painted up. Had the place to myself. Banging steel at 1020 yds in a switchy wind can be fun.

Heading south, after you pass the Shell station on your right the turnoff for "the dump" comes up in less than two miles on your left.

Thanks for the tip Leo!

i live near the Pawnee if you ever need someone to shoot with out here. I am up for it most weekends and some mondays and thursdays

I am out of town this weekend but after that I am looking to get some trigger time on my new 300wm. I will post when I get back and am ready to go. Most any weekend works for me.

Guys, would like to shoot near Durango this afternoon; is there a place.

Is there any good BLM or FS land near the Front Range that I could shoot at tomorrow? I don't want to shoot from a bench at 100yds. and pay ca$h for it. I am not a member any place yet either. I just want to get out and shoot in this great weather before it goes to hell this weekend!

I've got about 50 plastic jugs I want to fill with water and spread out someplace and just shoot.

I can't this week, but I'd love to get some long range trigger time. Keep me in mind. I have some freedom to shoot during the week.

Is there a way we can make a group or something to post notices about getting together to shoot?

Is that metal silhoutte target place souht of BV run by anyone? Is it still open?

Ok guys. My rediculous schedule has finally eased up a little bit. And with the nice weather this week mt trigger finger is getting itchy. If anyone wants to get out on a weekend let me know.

I want to find some place where I can take some plastic jugs i've collected out, fill with water and shoot them. Hopefully out to at least 500yd. I'm getting low on ammo and can't find powder anywhere, so I might be limited for a while. If anything, i wouldn't mind going to a 100yd. range soon since i got new scope rings/base and need to sight in the rifle again. Maybe plink on some of Lowlights dot targets I printed up.

100yd at cherry creek, pawnee grasslands, raton NM NRA range, ect... I am ready to go. Feel free to call me at 720 206 4034 if anyone needs someone to go with.
    I will be heading to the cheyannewells machinegun/50cal shoot april30 - may 3rd if anyone wants to come out. The range has targets out to 1.5 miles and some years farther. This year I will be focusing more on bolt guns as I cannot afford to feed the machineguns all weekend with todays ammo prices.

I head to the Colorado Rifle Club quite often.

PM me and we'll head out sometime.

COfox,

I'm outside of Idaho Springs off of Fall River Rd. I'm looking for a spot to safely shoot out to 500+ yds as well. If you find a place, please let me know.

If you are looking for a spot to shoot handguns/AR's to about 50yds, let me know. My neighbor has been shooting at this spot for over 20yrs. You'll need a truck/high clearance vehicle to access.

Kevin

Hey You'll,
    I am new to this site but found your guys' posting looking for a place to go shooting with 200+ yards. I just finished customizing a Bushmaster XM15 and want to get some led down range. I am very interested in shooting at the pawnee grasslands and making a day of it. I am probably am going today so if you are interested please let me know. You can email me at [email protected] or 203-561-5955

COFox You were in a STA Platoon right..I would love to get out and take some marksmanship lessons if you are ever willing?! I just got back from Lejeune last week. I was visiting my bro who is 0302 company commander and recently came home from Afghanistan.

Fraser (DU Area)

I have a spot good out to 1,200 yards or so up past Lake George (think west of COS an hour or so) if anyone would like to join up and shoot a bit. It's national forest land and a truly spectacular spot.

I don't want to advertise its location though, so I'll have to blindfold you...

I was just out today in pike national forests looking for spots to shoot.I was around the signal butte area.Would be nice to find a area out to at least 500 yards.

I am planning on going somewhere to work up some loads for 2 of my guns in 2 weeks. Either sat or sunday. If anyone wants to work up some or just shoot let me know and I will call you and set it up. Chris

There was a nice range complex in the peoples republic of Boulder when I lived there a few years back, but you had to be a member or go with a member. I was surprised at the number of shooters that lived near Boulder. And Rocky Mountain Rifle Works is up near there as well, a hell of a gunsmith named Mark Chandlynn.

anybody up for a mid-week trip to the Chaffee Cnty range near BV? or ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maccrazy2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am planning on going somewhere to work up some loads for 2 of my guns in 2 weeks. Either sat or sunday. If anyone wants to work up some or just shoot let me know and I will call you and set it up. Chris </div></div>

I'm available this Sunday, May23rd. I just got my rifle back from the smith and want to re-zero and shoot out to at least 500yd. No preference where either. Pawnee, or Buena Vista or...?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm available this Sunday, May23rd...Pawnee, or Buena Vista or...? </div></div>

Anybody?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm available this Sunday, May23rd...Pawnee, or Buena Vista or...? </div></div>

Anybody? </div></div>

ttt

Unfortunately I am taking down a tree on sunday. My buddy is bringing over a bucket truck so I cannot blow it off. If you want to go tomorow (saturday) let me know. I need to make up some loads for a ladder test but can get up early and get it done. Call me at 720 206 4034 if you can swing it. Chris.

Didn't see this until Saturday afternoon. I couldn't do today anyhow. I might go to Buena Vista, but the wind might keep me home. Expecting 40mph gusts there tomorrow!

I am going to woodland park for memorial weekend. There is a shooting area where the hayman fire was. It is aprox .5 mile from rainbow falls camping area. I plan on shooting saturday mid morning if you can make it down there. I will be shooting mostly 300wm, 50bmg, and a few machineguns.

I might be able to swing this. I'll let you know later today.

I can't do tomorrow. Anyone free Monday?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't do tomorrow. Anyone free Monday? </div></div>

How far you wanting to drive pard?

I don't mind driving far. Pawnee, Buena Vista etc.

I'll be at the steel range in Buena Vista today if anyone wants to come out.

The steel DOW range south of Buena Vista is outstanding! I had the place to myself for at least three hours today! Smackin' steel from 450 yds to over 1,000 yds. My only regret was that I only brought 125 rounds with me. It was worth the 133 mile drive from my house.

If you make it up to Fort Collins, you're welcome to go with me. I have several places from P-dog towns, scenic river bends, to places where you have unlimited range (easily well over a mile of flat land shooting from a slightly elevated position)

PM me if you want to set something up. I go shooting 3-5 times a week.

Thanks for the offer!

Hey guys. I am thinking of going out this sunday aug 8th. I am thinking pawnee. If anyone has any interest let me know.

Wow, that looks like a good time. Unfortunately I already have plans for the weekend.

So how was the match?

COfox it was a great match as usual. Record turnout 72 shooters. I find this a very challenging real world match where your wind reading skills always get a workout. Next and last match of the year is Sept. 5th.