• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

COLORADO rifle match 8/22 8/23 CRC

9H_Cracka

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2005
WAY off base (COS CO)
Sign-up - 7a-7:30a each day; first rounds down range Approx. 8a.

Location - see www.crci.org for directions

Match fee: $20 per day.

On the current HP calendar for the dates 5/30 and 5/31 at Colorado
> Rifle Club, I want to clarify what matches will be run. Tony Stahl is
> listed as the contact but I will be running the events both days.
>
> Saturday 8/22 -
>
> We will shoot a Mid-range Prone 600 yard event consisting of 3 20 shot
> record strings. The format is "any-any" for sling--and-coat shooters
> per the HP rule book and scores shot will go towards their mid-range
> classification. Additionally, we will support competitors that want
> to shoot F-Class, again in compliance with the NRA rule book, and will
> have F-Class targets available for them so that the score shot goes
> towards their F-Class classification. Lastly, I am supporting this
> match in a "precision field rifle friendly" fashion. This means that
> if a shooter wants to use his or her heavy barreled rifle with a
> muzzle brake or suppressor, they will be allowed to participate in the
> match. I will group these shooters on a firing point two away from
> the other shooters so that the muzzle devices do not cause any
> disturbance to the NRA prone and F-Class competitors. Rule book
> compliant equipment and method of shooting scores will be turned in to
> the NRA for classification.
>
> Sunday 8/23 -
>
> We will shoot a Palma course of fire. That consists of unlimited
> sighters and 15 shots for record in 22 minutes at 800 yards, 2
> sighters and 15 shots for record in 22 minutes at 900 yards, and 2
> sighters with 15 shots for record in 22 minutes at 1,000 yards. This
> is a 450 point Palma aggregate. The match may be shot via all the
> methods described above - any-any sling and coat, F-Class, and
> precision field rifle. All scores shot with the exception of the
> precision field rifle scores will count towards your respective long
> range or F-Class classification.
>
> As a reminder, the NRA has revised the US Palma rules for 2009 to
> allow 223 Match Rifles to compete in US Palma. While technically you
> could shoot a 223 Match Rifle in this event under the any/any rules
> prior, it is hoped that this rule change which now makes these rifles
> legal for Fullbore, Mid-Range, and Palma will prompt more Match Rifle
> shooters (namely the common space guns) to participate in more belly
> shooting events. Palma is an exciting form of International
> competition. Having 22 minutes for 15 shots changes the game slightly
> allowing one to be a bit more strategic when trying to make the most
> of wind conditions.
>
> The key to success for our sport, events, and our clubs is
> participation, so if you know of anyone that may not be a sling-and-
> coat shooter and wants to shoot at 600+ yards please make them aware
> of these two events. We welcome them.
>
> I look forward to your participation. Please contact me directly with
> any questions about these two events. Thanks and see you at the range!
>
> Leo Ahearn
> [email protected]
> 719 237 4857

Re: COLORADO rifle match 5/30 5/31 CRC

Viper -

Yes, bipods are OK - you may end up being F-Class compliant, or you may end up being one of the "field precision rifle" shooters that is just shooting for fun not classification.

The field precision rifle is intended as a "run what u brung" class - just make sure you got at least a good zero and a scope with predictable clicks. Oh and ammo that will make the trip to 1k if you decide to shoot Sunday. As this is shot on a Known Distance (KD) range you will have pit and scoring duties in addition to shooting. Expect the match to take until about 3p with no break for lunch - bring a lunch and eat when you can.

Caliber - 338 on down.

I've penciled in that weekend for CRC too. 9H, if you need preregistration, bring a form to the match at BCGC this weekend & I'll fill it out and pay.

wink.gif
gonna try getting there

Hey Leo...

How are they gonna shoot prone at 1000 between the benches?

If no one has had the opportunity to shoot at CRC, ya need to go and shoot. An incredible facility! 100-900 sand berms.

FYI, It'll be windy and the wind will change minute by minute. Which always makes for interesting shooting. Sorta levels the playing field too...

The pits are as much fun as the match!

If I can dial this .308 I have. I just may make the trip to shoot for fun.

There is a flat firing point in front of the covered bench area. We will shoot from there unless it is really hot or rainy - then we'll shoot between the benches.

NH: You gonna be out there for the match over the weekend of the 17th? I'll be shooting all day sunday.

My wife and I are going to try and attend this match. It will be our first ACTUAL match, other than the "Smack The Smiley".

I would like to get to know some members here in person, as opposed to just typing away... Hopefully we will see you soon!!

DK

I'm gonna try to make this. And shoot the "run what ya brung" class. Just for shits and giggles.

I'll cross my fingers I get the .308 dialed in the next 4 days.

SPOTTING SCOPES -

Just a reminder for the field precision rifle crowd or those trying F-Class for the first time - please make sure there is a spotting scope on a stand or tripod available for you or one per 3 people in your group so you can score during your time to do so. You'll not be able to use your rifle scope to score with for another shooter. Thanks.

Speaking of which, I just happened to purchase one todayh, and will have it in plenty time for the shoot. Good timing!!

DK

BUMP - hope to see some of the tacticool folks come and show us how it's done! A great warmup for the steel safari.

If you come, PLEASE bring a rifle and ammo and shoot!! We want those new to KD ranges to come participate. Looking forward to it!!

Definitely plan to shoot. I am driving way too far not to shoot. I am interesting in joining the range also, that is what I meant by my check out range comment. Thanks!

The calls and emails are coming in - gonna be a well attended match - if on the fence, come on out!!!

We all had a good time. Thanks to those that came out. ViperACR (Paul) is a very good shooter and the 7 WSM is an effing killer chambering, no doubt about it. It totally picked apart the 308s and 260 at 600, 800, 900, and 1k yards on the F-Class target. Paul was also very generous and loaned rifle/ammo to a new junior shooter that showed up with the wrong gear and was not able to hit paper.

I'll keep you posted re: the next match and the field precision rifle friendliness of it.

Re: COLORADO rifle match 8/22 8/23 CRC

At this point Rik August is the last one I am involved with. There is someone running a LR "practice match" on 9/20, though I do not know what is up with those.

I'm trying to find a range where I can throw a quick 100yd. (at least) zero back on my rifle in order to try and make this. Maybe at least I can run out to Bass-Pro and buy a boresight today. I still don't have a spotting scope for scoring duty though.

we can get you a spotting scope to use when someone goes to the pits - they can leave theirs behind for you.

Darnit get some sort of a zero, even a 100 yard, and we'll get you on at 6 no problem.

Boresighters are a waste of money (unless you have an M1 or M14). Tell you what - bring your stuff, no zero and all, and I'll bore sight it and get you on Saturday AM.

I'll be there, pm sent!

Leo, big thanks for the invite and for putting on a great match! I had a lot of fun, learned some stuff, met some great people and will be back for another. Thanks for the use of the ECI, spotting scope and for getting me a quick & dirty zero. Thank Pete for me for the use of his shooting mat as well.

S/F

Glad you guys could come.

The 2010 prone outdoor season kicks off with the same format of match (3x600) at Buffalo Creek Gun Club in April. Great range to visit if you have not been there. www.bcgc.com/club is the web site. The 2010 calendar is not out yet but expect it around the third weekend in April.