• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coloring brass and/or copper.

WeeHooker

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2021
MA
So I've done a search and can't find anything relevant so I figured I'd just ask. I want to make a couple dozen dummy rounds for centerfire rifle using spent brass and new bullets. However, I'd like to color the dummy rounds so that they are easily identifiable . I'm wondering what a good method would be to blacken/dye the case and or bullet so that they stand out. I know there are some smart folks here that have been there-done that.

So I've done a search and can't find anything relevant so I figured I'd just ask. I want to make a couple dozen dummy rounds for centerfire rifle using spent brass and new bullets. However, I'd like to color the dummy rounds so that they are easily identifiable . I'm wondering what a good method would be to blacken/dye the case and or bullet so that they stand out. I know there are some smart folks here that have been there-done that.
When I do load dev I write the drop weight on the case with an ultra fine Sharpie and it sure seems to stay on there until tumbled.

Maybe try a chisel point Sharpie.

P.S. - and I'm no expert on reloading or anything else so others may well have better ideas for you.

Reactions: WeeHooker
When I do load dev I write the drop weight on the case with an ultra fine Sharpie and it sure seems to stay on there until tumbled.

Maybe try a chisel point Sharpie.

P.S. - and I'm no expert on reloading or anything else so others may well have better ideas for you.
Hmmm, I do something similar by color coding the base of the rounds and the correlate the color to load on my load test sheet. I never really thought about coloring the entire case. I'm sure some would wear off but as long as it's visible enough to keep things safe.

Reactions: Baron23
Hmmm, I do something similar by color coding the base of the rounds and the correlate the color to load on my load test sheet. I never really thought about coloring the entire case. I'm sure some would wear off but as long as it's visible enough to keep things safe.
And color the bullets....shouldn't be any wear on them, right?

I have some Israeli "copper washed" 7.62.39. Looks more like a rose color to me. Maybe there is a process similar to this that can be adopted for your needs.

You could also just do a light bullet graphite tumble so they can be easily identified.

Take some old brass that is no longer suitable for reloading and soak it in either ammonia or bleach (don't remember which). One of those will discolor it to a distinguishable pink color.

Search for the correct size mechanical pencil eraser, put it in the primer pocket and cut it off flush... Homemade A-Zoom dummy round.

PS: The pencil eraser will also seal the primer pockets tight enough to check your case capacity in grains of H²O if you decide to check that.

Mike

Pretty sure it'd be ammonia, since that's what takes copper out of barrels, but maybe I'm wrong.

I believe if you use Lemi Shine and soak them for a while they'll get a pretty dark patina on them, so that's another cheap option

Reactions: OkieMike
Thanks for your insight, Folks, all good suggestions. I'm off to experiment!

You can color the bullets with a sharpie and the see the color on the target. Makes it easy to mark shots at distance for load development.
That said: if you analyze carefully you will find that the marker can throw your velocity’s off by 40 fps or so. So it’s great for broad strokes, not for fine tuning. I used to be a big proponent of the marker and not walking to the target each time to mark shots but after enough head scratching from results not matching week to week I gave it up and just use different aim points now.

FWIW, I've decided to:
a) drill the cases through on two planes
b) Seat a bullet on 40 thou short of mag length) and color it with a sharpie.
I think this combo will work fine for my intended purposes.

Brass-Black.jpg

Load ID
Ammo4-Flo.jpg

Last edited:
I have some Israeli "copper washed" 7.62.39. Looks more like a rose color to me. Maybe there is a process similar to this that can be adopted for your needs.

When using an ultrasonic cleaner and Brass Juice, I found that if there was a piece of iron or steel in the mix (like a carbon steel screw) the brass would turn a rose pink color. I've used that to mark certain batches of brass; it lasts through several cleanings and tumblings and doesn't seem to affect integrity of the brass at all.

Haven't shot any with the black. Just Dummies for fit checks.
Probably would mostly come off with tumbling. Comes off with a little scotchbrite.
Black, combined with colored markers in the groove and I could ID various loads.

Reactions: Napoleon54