• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colt 6724 upper vs. Bushmaster Varminter?

steve m

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2002
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Hi Folks,
looking for a nice accurate AR upper, these to come to mind. Any feedback? I've read nothing but good about the Colt, and a few bad things on the bushie.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Colt 6724 upper vs. Bushmaster Varminter?

looks like Both those Uppers from Factory Bushmaster & Colt have 9-twist & 24" , Heavy barrel . geared bullet weight between 50-68 & velocity on the upper-end for Varmints or Target . & 24" barrel & High Vel. is There ' upper-hand ' .

But I never owned that particular model Colt Upper . I would expect nothing less than being a tackdriver for the Colt Upper .
I have owed the Bushmaster Varminter w/CM fluted-parkerize 24" barrel . & I had real good luck with it & it was real accurate .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tiger222</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Folks,
looking for a nice accurate AR upper, these to come to mind. Any feedback? I've read nothing but good about the Colt, and a few bad things on the bushie.

Thanks in advance. </div></div>

I own a 6724 and it is a tack driver. It will shoot 0.5" 5 shot groups @ 100 yards all day with FGMM. Don't know about the Bushy.

Had a bushmaster varminter 24" and could not get it to shoot sub moa no matter what I tried. Had Bushmaster rebarrel it to the 20" predator, and it did not shoot either. I can say that after 1000 rounds through the varminter without one failure they make a reliable gun. Killed a deer or two with them. Fine rifles, just not quite accurate enough for me.

Bought a Rock River varmint A4 20" and with handloads runs around 1/2 MOA.

I am now shooting my second 6724 rifle and while it has been a challenge to get to shoot as well as I expect (sub 1/2 MOA) it is there now with 77 SMK's:

233XBR77SMK300yds.jpg

or with 69 SMK's:

DSCN0008.jpg

I bought a varminter after seeing a couple that were sub .5moa and could not get better than 1 moa from mine. my plain RRA 16" midlength does that.
screw that!

Check out the Adams Arms competition upper as well. I like the Bushmaster but have heard mixed opinions about them. I have a Bushmaster carbine and love it, but dont own a Varmint model so I dont know how helpful I can really be for you.

I had 6720 Colt. It was very accurate. It will not stabilize a 75gr Amax. 1-9 twist isn't enough. I had excellent results with 60-69gr bullets with it though.

I purchased a 24" varminter upper back around 2001 and it has been a consistent ~1/2 MOA shooter initially with 50gr Vmax loads and this year I've switched over to the new 53gr Vmax which is far superior in terms of BC. The rifle just shoots great with the 50 or 53gr Vmax over N-133. It has been my workhorse varmint blaster that has taken dozens of coyotes and is coming up on two thousand ground squirrel kills. While critters are its primary use it can make little groups on paper if needed.

On the other hand a couple of friends purchased Varminter uppers about 2 years ago as they wanted clones of my rifle and both of those uppers can't seem to get any better than 1 MOA sized groups with factory ammo or handloads.

One thing I changed with the Varminter upper is to switch the lighter bolt carrier that Bushmaster provides for a heavier FA bolt carrier; the heavier FA bolt carrier and resulting slower carrier speed is a little easier on the brass.

Bushmaster has a hit-or-miss reputation and given the amount of options these days when it comes to ARs I think I'd probably look elsewhere.