• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Colt back in the wheel guns game...

If they do come back, it would likely drop the bottom out of the used market.

$699 MSRP for a quality (assumed) wheel gun? Seems pretty reasonable to me...

Agreed. In fact, I don't think Colt really ever overpriced if you think about it. They upped the price on a quality gun and it continued to sell. Just because I no longer wanted to pay that much doesn't mean the market isn't there.

One thing gunmakers have gone after, that I believe hurts them in the long run monetarily is discount Mil and LE sales. Everything you do gets hurt because the weapons get that why? reputation. And, they come out lower priced than you gave the discount for years ago. This means your new product has no, or at least reduced, marketability. Especially when your new product comes out as a "cost reduction" piece.

I'm thinking a good reproduction of the Python and Anaconda will sell well.

I think they'll sell too, but I hope they change enough that it is a different pistol than the classic snake guns.

I think they'll sell too, but I hope they change enough that it is a different pistol than the classic snake guns.

Never really being a wheel gun aficionado, what was it about the classic 'snake' guns you didn't like? Obviously, points of change would be interesting to hear. That said, I did like my wife's Cimmaron Thunderer. That grip was described by some old timer (I forget who) as how all pistols ought to have been.

I only own one wheel gun. A Colts New Frontier in 22lr that was my Father's. I told my brothers I'll give up the Dan Wesson and all the Glocks but if need be we'll fight for the Colt.

I don't see any changes needed per say, but I think if a company is going to re-introduce a classic they should differentiate it a bit, so as not to ruin the collector value of the old pistols. That said, NO WAY my ass is paying $20k for a revolver so I don't really have a dog in this fight.

WHOOOPS! $20K?? I missed that part. Is that for the collector grade that's out there now or, new production? If so, I feel dumb, here I am defending Colt's pricing and if they go that route, they probably won't sell enough to make it work for them.

As far as collectibles, it may turn out like the Colt SAA's in that the Gen I's bring a ton (I've seen them go as high as $45,000, fully decorated) Gen II's and Gen III's bring anywhere from high 100's to $2,000. Still it would be interesting to see what they do if they remake the snake guns.

20K may be high. I've seen some of the old ones at $16k +. The run the gambit, from $1000 to $13k on Gunbroker right now.

image_57019.jpg

Dear Colt,

Bring back the Python, you freakin' morons!

Amsdorf,

I had just noticed that your avatar looks a little more 'high falutin'" that sirhr's. You anywhere near him up in the New England states. Do you come from a snobby town?;):D

As much as I agree that the collectors value will go down, I'd like to see them come back. They are perfectly suitable handguns for those liking the wheel gun.

$699 MSRP for a quality (assumed) wheel gun? Seems pretty reasonable to me...

After looking at some other current revolver prices it seems in line with other revolvers. It's been a while since I've bought a new revolver.