• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colt branded M4 Carbine model .22 caliber rifle

jeffm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2001
West Virginia
Saw one of these today. Looked very nice. Anyone have experence with it? Does it have a threaded barrel. I couldn't tell if the flash hider screwed off.

Re: Colt branded M4 Carbine model .22 caliber rifle

I have the OPS version. Nice rifle, somewhat finicky about ammo though, but that can be the case with a lot of 22s. Accurate for a plinker, looks super good, and fit, finish, material, etc are good. Mags are stout. My 22lr ATI AK47 and GSG5 function better though, as they rarely miss a beat with cheap walmart crap.

I just looked at the flash hider and I do not think it comes off easily. Doesnt have flats for getting a wrench on it.

John

Re: Colt branded M4 Carbine model .22 caliber rifl

i have one, and in my opinion it is a piece of crap compared to the S&W M&P 15-22, the FH does <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT </span> come off, to open the rifle you have to unscrew the FH two turns with supplied special wrench, then beat out the take down pin, (that is what a Umarex tech told me to do, on the phone) it is<span style="font-weight: bold"> NOT</span> captive so it will pop out, when you do get it open there are two small parts that will fall out and could easily be lost, you <span style="font-weight: bold">CAN NOT</span> remove the bolt and cleaning is a bitch, the bolt release thingy is strictly cosmetic and does nothing, the 30 rnd. mag is so long that shooting from a bench is nearly impossible, the rifle is a great shooter, but that is all i can say about it.., ooooooh ! one other thing, when you get the take down pin out there is a "Bolt Speed" hex screw that you can adjust for Hi-power ammo and for the El Cheapo" ammo, after playing around with it i found a "Sweet Spot" where it will cycle any .22LR ammo

i highly recommend a S&W M&P 15-22 or the TacSol dedicated .22LR upper, i believe the Colt/Umarex

go here for the Colt/Umarex propaganda:
Colt/Umarex

go here for S&W M&P 15-22 FACTS:
S&W M&P 15-22

If you already have an AR, the best soultion for training (after independent wealth) is a dedicated .22 upper from Model 1 Sales, Tactical Solutions, or Spike's tactical.
The other problem with the Colt (among many) is the 180 degree safety.

+1 for the Spikes! I love mine. But I haven't shot any others so I could be biased...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saw one of these today. Looked very nice. Anyone have experence with it? Does it have a threaded barrel. I couldn't tell if the flash hider screwed off. </div></div>

Like you, I found the rifle to look very nice (tacticool) on first appearances. It followed me home. We should have "dated" longer. While looking good on the outside, it is difficult to clean, crappy trigger, and a lot of pot metal parts. It shot ok, but the magazines are expensive and don't fit the pockets on tactical gun cases very well. (too long).

Sold it. Now own a S&W M&P 15-22. Very satisfied. Can change out the trigger as it is just like any AR trigger. Magazines can be had for less than $20.00 each. Breaks down like an AR and very easy to clean. You can get the barrel threaded for a flash hider, or wait till very early 2010 for this to be on the rifle. Oh, and don't be turned off by the "plastic" it is polymer. Used for years by Glock and other manufacturers. If my current vehicle had no plastic in it, it would be the Hummer H1.

I own both the Colt/Walther M4 22LR and the S&W M&P15-22LR. Both are very good guns. Colt is slightly heavier and feels more solid, while the M&P15-22 is very light.

Accuracy wise, they are about the same, both will hold 1~1.5 MOA depending on the ammo used.

Reliability wise, both of them works flawlessly, with only 1 or 2 misfire in a case of 500 bulk ammo. I suspect the misfire to be caused by faulty cheap ammo.

ease of use, M&P15-22 has an edge here as it is much easier to disassemble and clean. but both guns run fine a little dirty. I've pushed 1000+ rounds with out cleaning, a little CLP and they works fine.

They're both nice little guns, good fun at the range or a little bunny hunting. I've had ruger 10/22 as well, and I personally I think you should get all of them. Can never have too many 22LR in your safe.

Peace

you guys know they have a SIG 522 also? looks like a 556 and has a side folding stock. and dont forget to round out the collection with an MP5 in 22, the GSG copy. nice stuff.

MP15-22 is a much better gun. It uses standards ar fire controls. Saw one that had a magpul acs stock, magpul BUIS, wilson combat trigger, and threaded for a suppressor. The colt is just a crappy pot metal turd.