• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Colt Defender?

konabully

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2004
    PHX & So-Cal
    I have a chance to pic up a nice slightly used Colt Defender for a good price. From what I've gathered, I heard they're rather reliable and have decent accuracy for a 3" bbl 1911. If I do pick this up, I plan to remove the Hogue wrap-around grip and replace it with a nice set of ultra-thin cocobolo panels.

Anyone here have any experience with one? Good, bad, or...?

Re: Colt Defender?

Almost anything Colt is guaranteed to hold its value fairly well. If you're comfortable with the recoil out of a 3 inch .45, why not?

Excellent backup platform, I replaced the factory sights with a set of Novak LO-PRO night sites, ultra thin cocobola diamond serated grips and it's good to go! I carry a full size Sig Blackwater 1911 as my primary, so magazines will interchange. No use carrying two sets of mags.Even in ultra descrete carry sitiuations the Colt is more than suffiecent .Try Hornady 185gr. self defense ammo mine loves this ammo ,plus a little easier on recoil if this is a problem.

I had a colt new agent, near identical but defender has traditional sites and the new agent has a site groove.

I did have the normal failure with mine on the guide rod BUT at least Colt was very good and quick about fixing it. My gun was in the batch that was in the recall and from me shipping to signing for the gun at my front door was right around 70 hours...seriously.