• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colt is upping their game, new 6920's

Tengo1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Its been a slow road, I wont argue with the guys who say Colt has fallen behind the pac with their offerings, and as some feel almost anti civilian attitude. But.... things are changing at Colt, and for the better. I don't know if its one man, or a group that deserve a big pat on the back for the turn around at Colt, but I like what I am seeing. Just two years ago, if you wanted a Colt with "preban" features your only options was the LE6920 Law Enforcement version (which I bought and love). Then last year they finally presented a "Civilian" 6920, identical to the LE version but saying "Sporter M4 Carbine" instead of "Colts Law Enforcement Carbine", followed several months ago by the Magpul version, equipped with MOE gear. The biggest news then was probably that they dropped the word "Sporter" from the lower, leaving just "M4 carbine", making fan boys, history buffs, and war zone clone builders pants suddenly fit tighter (mine included). My one complaint was the MOE handguards, man how I hate those. I feel like Magpul held a "design the ugliest handguards contest" and then produced the winners.

Well luckly for us, Colt is branching out with their models and avialable options. I snagged some pics at SHOT of two of these new versions.

First, the LE6920MP-R, basiclly identical to the earlier Magpul version, but they ditched the MOE handguard for a Troy quad rail.

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

And the LT6920-R, with an Troy 10 inch extended rail and a light weight barrel (similar to Daniel Defenses DDM4V5 light weight)

IMG_0371.jpg

This appears to be a good sign of things to come from Colt, hopefully by next Shot Show we will be seeing a "preban" A4 style full size rifle.

Re: Colt is upping their game, new 6920's

Awesome, Colt heard about Magpul and Troy! Who would have thought they'd be so Johnny-on-the-spot?!
wink.gif
JK.

So I'm confused... Do you like the MOE handguards or not?
grin.gif

Hopefully the move to Florida will come with a more flexible mindset and business model.

The rest of the industry has past Colt by on many different levels years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hgr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rest of the industry has past Colt by on many different levels years ago. </div></div>

I know they have. That's why it's good to see Colt starting to put some effort into the civilian market.

A new 6940 is just under $1235, that would be my pick. I hate that MOE stuff also.
Just put an M4s or a SN-12 on it and you're done. I do love those funny "purple" rifles. I have intentionally abused Colt AR's (long shot strings/no cleaning/etc),
always performed for me, and have held up well.

Even a dumb ass like me can operate it with a fair amount accuracy and pound for pound, that little Colt rifle is just the ticket. I know that you can build one yourself and save a couple of hundred.

Always keep a couple hanging around.

I'm more interested in the piston 6940.

I picked up a 6940 last year & switched out the stock with a UBR, upgraded the trigger, and put on a 1 1/2- 5 scope in a removable mount & am happy with it so far.

I like a company that sticks to what they do well, without putting out a bunch of frills to try to keep up with every other company. I hope Colt does not go the way of SIG and start putting out a slightly different version of the same old thing every year or two.

Are they as heavy as the "old" 6920's were? Man, I held one that felt like a RR, and didn't even have the cool "Law...Military...Only" stamp.

Getting there, but I still think Colt is way, WAY behind the curve. Skinny barrels are pretty much out of favor. That railed gun would look about perfect with a nice middle-weight barrel.

Colt's anti-civilian attitude is the reason so many other manufacturers are doing so well. It's the reason I bought a LWRCI M6A2. Skinny barrels are out of favor with civilians. The military needs/requires that particular barrel profile to be able to mount M203's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mahk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Getting there, but I still think Colt is way, WAY behind the curve. Skinny barrels are pretty much out of favor. That railed gun would look about perfect with a nice middle-weight barrel. </div></div>

That is my thoughts exactly. I want that rifle, but without the light weight barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like a company that sticks to what they do well, without putting out a bunch of frills to try to keep up with every other company. I hope Colt does not go the way of SIG and start putting out a slightly different version of the same old thing every year or two. </div></div>
agreed!