• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colt SAA

308Gunner

Full Bird Private
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2013
    W TEXAS
    Can someone give me an estimated price for a Colt SAA with a serial # starting in the 221XXX. Man there are a shit ton of prices from the 3200 - 2000 price range, the pistol is a 4 1/2" 38 W.C.F. Any help would be appreciated.

No Colt authority here, but sold one last summer. Gen 1, 44-40, transition period gun from black powder to smokeless made in 1898. No finish remaining but no real pitting. 4 3/4” barrel and all original parts.
    Went for $2200 to the son of gun writer Brian Pearce

Last edited:
    Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    Can someone give me an estimated price for a Colt SAA with a serial # starting in the 221XXX. Man there are a shit ton of prices from the 3200 - 2000 price range, the pistol is a 4 1/2" 38 W.C.F. Any help would be appreciated.

Manufactured in 1902, 1st Generation, not "rare" but certainly trending that direction. Very good condition around $2500 or so depending. They are like diamonds, value depends on condition and demand at the time you are selling, the particular buyer, etc. I have two Peacemakers and will never part with them. Everyone has an opinion but probably (close to a 1911, very close) the finest pointing sidearm ever made.

Manufactured in 1902, 1st Generation, not "rare" but certainly trending that direction. Very good condition around $2500 or so depending. They are like diamonds, value depends on condition and demand at the time you are selling, the particular buyer, etc. I have two Peacemakers and will never part with them. Everyone has an opinion but probably (close to a 1911, very close) the finest pointing sidearm ever made.

Same here. I own a Ruger Vaquero in .357 Magnum and a .45 LC converted 1858 Remington. (The '58 is not exactly part of the Peacemaker line but it is a classic SA revolver nonetheless)

There is a reason why I have owned and sold several polymer framed semiautos over the years, probably picking up another Glock this year, but will never part with my SA revolvers. I like to refer to them as guns with a lot of character.

I have noticed many people comment on a Colt's near-perfect grip feel. The very first handgun I have owned was an 1851 Naval Pattern Colt manufactured by Uberti, and I can attest to the way it simply melds right into your hand when you pick it up. Just like a lot of folks who have never even fired a gun before can pick up an AR-15, and with minimal coaching, shoot reasonably sized groups on their first attempt, the Colt patterns are the same way. There is a certain user-friendliness in the designs which can calm even the most hesitant beginner shooters and allow them to put rounds right on target by partly instinctive pointing. I made a batch of light, smokeless .357 loads for my 10 year old nephew who had been visiting us from China and even though he has never fired any gun before, he blasted 6 clay birds at 20 yards with 6 shots on the first try when I gave him a run with the Ruger. Pretty good performance for a city kid who has only had limited archery experience back home. If I had an AR, I expect that he would do pretty well with it on the first run also.

Thanks this one is not for sale but trying to get close for insurance as I cant find someone close to appraise it for me. Again thanks for the reply.

I loves me MY Colt!

OWD5322.jpg

I was into fast draw years ago. Had a custom built rig for it.

3u77bBO.jpg

PTyxVQy.jpg

For a gen 1 it is worth getting a factory letter. Costs 50 bucks, but if it shipped to someone or somewhere interesting... the value of your gun can skyrocket. I have several SAAs and have a love affair with them. Also had some rare ones, two of which are now in the National Firearms Musum. Provenance is everything! The letter helps. Cheers, Sirhr