• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Colt Series 70 / Series 80

krw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2004
Arkansas
What is the difference between a Colt Series 70 45 Auto vs the Series 80 45 Auto? Thanks krw

Re: Colt Series 70 / Series 80

^^^^^^thats all the important stuff. the series 80 is not supposed to go off if you drop it and the series 70 has a higher chance of discharge with dropage

I have had an older series 70, that got stolen, and replaced it with a new series 80, gold cup. no comparison, even though the 70 was not a gold cup, it was a much more reliable pistol. I wish i had the old one back again. the 70 would take anything i could put in it, the 80 is too finiky for me. especially with hand loads. maybe the gold cup was just too much target pistol and not enough battle pistol.

ymmv,
tedbiv

Nonsense! You can put just as fine a trigger in a Series 80 as in a Series 70. Also, Bill Laughridge (of Cylinder and Slide), who is im my opinion the nation's most knowledable 1911 man, will gladly show you how both machining and metallurgy are significantly better on the Series 80 guns.

Cheers... Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Just Jim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can put just as fine a trigger in a Series 80 as in a Series 70.

Metallurgy are significantly better on the Series 80 guns. </div></div>
TRUE
&
TRUE

now....PRE-series 70's are NM's....national match labeled pistols....them are sweet as they were put together by craftsman when labor in this country was cheap..

i'm just sayin..........

maybe it was out of box experience. took my brand new gold cup to the range. 10-15 rounds in, the rear sight comes to pieces. so my brand new $700 pistol now needs to be sent back to colt. they did fix it. the series 80 just seems more finicky with certain types of ammo. i've the slide not lock open after empty mag, i've had mags come loose and not cylce the next round.

maybe it was me not holding properly, but I never, never ever had a problem with my series 70, other than my handloads would eject straight out of the top of the pistol instead of to the side.

wifey didn't like that... hit her in the forhead, now she will only shoot the revolver.

tedbiv

Sounds like your mag-catch is not engaging properly. I fitted an extended mag release to mine and it was not too bad. Oh, and I use the wilson combat mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Just Jim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nonsense! You can put just as fine a trigger in a Series 80 as in a Series 70. Also, Bill Laughridge (of Cylinder and Slide), who is im my opinion the nation's most knowledable 1911 man, will gladly show you how both machining and metallurgy are significantly better on the Series 80 guns.

Cheers... Jim </div></div>
What Boltripper said! New 70's are just as good!

I bought a brand new-in-box 80-series Colt Combat Government. From the serial number it was made around mid 1983.
The frame cracked from the middle of the dust cover all the way back to the triggerguard (visibly) after approximately 200 rounds of Winchester 230 grain FMJs.
Reason may have been a flaw in the cast iron, it was visibly thinner in that area and had a small pit where the crack started.
Trigger pull was acceptable, finnish was gtg and overall "feel" was ok. Groupings were not bad, and slide-to-frame fit was fairly smooth. I was fairly happy with it besides the crack so I wanted a similar one.
I got it replaced and fortunately there was one like it left so I got that, shot 300 rounds and couldnt hit the broadside of a barn.
Slide-to-frame fit felt exceptionally loose even for a mil-spec, trigger was a "three-stage" with a lot of creep and weighed in at between 6-10 lbs, depending on mood I guess...
4-finger "spring" bushing had a loose fit in the slide.
Besides that the "beavertail" had sharp burrs cutting the skin between my thumb and hand.
Sent it off to a smith after verifying it at least hadnt cracked.
He confirmed groupings were way off, (at least it wasnt just me) and it had other issues as well.
Plunger housing was loose, had to be re-staked.(read; replaced)
Slide to frame fit was exceptionally loose and required some handywork.
Slide stop had been machined way off and had to be replaced.
Main spring housing was stuck du to burrs and basically just press-fitted in there.
One grip bushing was screwed in at an angle, stripping the threads and had to be replaced with an oversize one.

There was more but this is what I remember from the top of my head...

Thankfully it was ment to be a project gun and I wanted it for the steel quality.
I wont even start the firing-pin-safety-discussion, I know mines gone (removed part can be dropped back in if needed) and thats how I want it...
Cant wait for it to arrive back home, it will be a real nice piece once finnished, but next time I will try a Springfield
wink.gif

I love my series 70 with that said they aren't safe to carry with the hammer down on a live one. Only cocked and locked like Browning intended. I learned this the hard way when I gently lowered the hammer and holstered it only to have it discharge when I snapped the strap behind the hammer. Don't bet your a-- on it. Thank you Mr. Bianchi for the foward canted paddle, I missed again.