• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Colt Series 70 vs Kimbers

krw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2004
Arkansas
How does a Colt Series 70 compare up against a Kimber in terms of fit, finish, overall quality and accuracy. Lets throw in dependability also.
Thanks krw

Re: Colt Series 70 vs Kimbers

It doesn't compare. That's why the Kimber's are so popular. It takes several hundred dollars in gunsmithing to get a Colt to be on par with an out of the box Kimber.

The Kimbers today aren't what they used to be, read here to see what some smiths think of them now.

http://www.full-auto.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54

And yeah, I have a Kimber Ultra Raptor, one of their "Custom Shop" guns. It shoots great, now that I got it to run more than 3 rounds in a row without jamming. The fit and finish was good, but the finish wore a lot faster than any of my other guns, but it's a carry gun so it would have happened eventually anyway. Oddly enough, I was touching up another gun with Brownells's Oxpho-blue, a cold bluing, and decided to wipe down my slide with it. It has lasted much better than the original finish. The Armory Kote on my Springfield 1911 has worn the best.

If you're looking for a "stock" 1911 w/o all of the bells and whistles, then a Colt is just fine. If you're enticed by beavertail grip safeties, extended (or ambi) thumb safeties, front strap checkering, nitesites, and serrations on the front of the slide, then look at Kimber or Springfield. Kimber has released some lemons from it's factory, but they'll make it right if you get stuck with one. The wait and cost of customizing a series 70 Colt will be much higher than a Kimber, but you'll also have a better looking, higher quality gun-------if done by a top shelf smith.

BTW, the rust shown in the link is not a mfg flaw, it's a handling error. Kimber test fires their guns then soaks the outside with oil before sealing them in a plastic bag. Any atmospheric moisture is trapped in the bag for weeks or months, and settles on the dry steel inside the pistol or pistol's bore, rather than the outside which oiled. You'd <span style="font-style: italic"> think</span> Kimber could anticipate this, but apparently not. After several rusty guns were returned to them, you'd also think they'd eventually figure out how to prevent it, but apparently not. If your gun arrives with rust they'll make it right though. I know from personal experience.

I like Colt's. That being said, the above stated is true. You will have several hundred dollars above the original cost of the Colt to catch up to the add ons of the Kimber.
Go with the Springfield. I believe they are the best bang for the buck right now.

If you get the Colt, at least it wont have plastic parts in it like the Kimber. It sickens me to think of buying a $1300 1911 that has a plastic mainspring housing. The Colt will most likely have a better resale value. Out of the box, the Kimber looks nicer, but I think that the Colt is built better.

The reason I had asked this question was I have owned several Kimbers in the past, and a few Colt's. I have been looking at a 70 Series Gold Cup National Match in 99% condition. I went ahead and bought the NM yestrday. Thanks for all the input. krw