• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Colt Single Action Army?

N2DADARK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2010
I know this is a little out there as a side arm but Im looking to get a Peacemaker, for more or less shooting and conversation piece. Just curious what the pricing was and if there's anyone out there who has one and what they think of it and any alternatives that are close and/or better. Thanks

Re: Colt Single Action Army?

www.usfirearms.com/ As about as good as it gets, dollar-for-dollar. IMHO
grin.gif

A Ruger Vaquero is a great piece. If you really get into it you could send it to a good pistol smith to have it tuned up. I have a few second generation Colts that are unfired in the box but I wouldn't recommend packing those around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RickB.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">www.usfirearms.com/ As about as good as it gets, dollar-for-dollar. IMHO
grin.gif
</div></div>

+1 US Firearms is building the SAA like Colt used at the turn of the century, they beat Colt hands down

I have a Ruger Vaquero that's a great shooter right from the box. Fun gun, gets a lot of looks at the range, great piece for not much $$.

Yeah thats what I was looking at as well, it is quite a bit lower and I do like the finished look of the stainless steal and could even go along with the nickel. It defiantly will be a shooter, how dose .45 cowboy differ (in your guys opinion) from auto, I know I can look in the reloading book but Im asking for personal opinions.

In the Ruger you can equal .44 Magnum loads. It is a big, heavy beast that won't wear out..45 Colt loads in the Colt or USF should be limited to factory pressures...they are more fragile, but a good deal lighter in weight. American Arms .454 Casull should be considered also. Best machine work I've seen. JMHO

I love my USFA. Extremely smooth action. I was debating whether to get a third gen Colt, but ended up going with the USFA; I'm glad I did. It's definitely a classic.

I have a Ruger old model Vaquero in 45 Colt.

It is the stainless Birdhead version with a short barrel.

It is the ideal size to pack when hiking in the woods.

My usual load is 18.0 grains of 2400 behind a 300 grain flat point cast bullet.

If you get into it like I did you will have to have at least one Colt SAA but you won't want to shoot it. I enjoy the others more as I shoot the hell out of them and don't mind the holster wear.

Okay well what about the 357 models out there. In addition to extra oomph the wife and I could 38 and not kill our wrists. But is this preforming a western shooting no no, or make us black sheep.

+1 on USFA.

I handled a USFA at a shop some months back, and was very impressed. If I were buying a shooter, it woud be a USFA.

I have a .357 Colt 2nd gen "mid" purchased new by my father in late 60's. I shot the fool out of 38s through it and carried it on the ranch for snakes and other moving targets. Looking back, wish it was a NIB 45LC for value, but I sure loved shooting it and could not have afforded to shoot (45LC) as much as I did. Still drag it out for nastalgic reasons and pop a few caps.

Kevin