• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colt Sporter HBAR accuracy question

AZ.noob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I've got an old Competition HBAR; it's a large-pin lower. 20" barrel, 5.56 chamber, 1:9" rifling.
The factory trigger sucks... 6# and gritty. Stoning has helped a little, but not much. I've played around with FCG springs, and although it was some improvement it wasn't what I'm looking for.

Before I drop $300+ on a Geissele, what accuracy can I expect from the factory Colt barrel?

With factory ammo, so so... with tuned handloads about 3/4 MOA give or take small fractions there after.

Mine was awful. Couldn't get under 2" at 100 yards. Replaced the barrel with a Ranier select match and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Didnt the poster on a few forums "Molon" do accuracy testing with a 20" Colt Sporter HBAR as his baseline gun with all the ammo testing that he used to do(havent seen him online in a while)?

That gun isnt one I would mess with though as I think its probably worth more in its original configuration than if you tore it apart(even though a trigger swap isnt the end of the world). If its a big pin lower its probably a pre-ban gun and could be worth a decent amount in its stock form.

My HBAR has always been very accurate even with the horrible
7# stock Colt trigger. I just shot the 300 yard challenge on this forum with my box stock pre-ban 1993 Colt HBAR and averaged
just a nip under 1 MOA using off the shelf Fiocchi ammo. Best group was 1.819" or .579 MOA.

I have one of those. The trigger was the worst, so I finally replaced it with Geiselle. So much better. I love two stage triggers. Anyhow, the rifle always shot very well. now it shoots very well more easily. The assumption that an aftermarket barrel is superior, is not well founded.Try 25 to 27 grains of 748 and a 55gr. Ballistic Tip.

I am the original owner of a 6600 Colt HBAR and it usually shoots under 1 MOA with FGMM ammo. I still have it.

I have one I bought new years ago. I put a FF tube and a good trigger on it.

It is a solid 1/2-3/4 moa gun with the right ammo. Excellent shooter.