• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colts New Rifle

JJ_Miller

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2011
Gilmer Co. WV
Media day at SHOT Colt unveiled a 308 AR...........not sure about details. Kinda late to the dance if you ask me....but at least they are on board now................JJ

Re: Colts New Rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJ_Miller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Media day at SHOT Colt unveiled a 308 AR...........not sure about details. Kinda late to the dance if you ask me....but at least they are on board now................JJ </div></div>

I agree it's a little late but i like to see more options out there. How many brands do make AR 10s? Off the top of my head, DPMS, Armalite, GAP, RRA, and LWRC.

SHOT-Colt901-1.jpg

Info on this seeped out a few months back.

The big difference between it and its competitors is that the lower is compatible with both .308 and .223 uppers.

An interesting feature but I really don't see anyone ever using it as a .223 rifle when you could have a complete and separate M4 for not that much more weight that could be loaned out to your buddy in a pinch or brought to bear faster than taking apart your current rifle and their .308 upper doesn’t offer the modularity of the LMT.

As you said, late to the dance. If Colt had developed this a few years back it'd be big news. In the market today it's notable but not special.

Course at the end of the day it only enriches the field of modern battle rifles and competition between manufacturers is always good for the consumer.

Are there any other brands with an AR-10 upper compatible with .223 lower? If not then they have a winner for me. Thats awesome that i don't have to build a complete rifle to aquire a SASS so to speak.

It's not a .308 upper compatible with a .223 lower

It's a .308 lower compatible with a .223 upper

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Starvin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not a .308 upper compatible with a .223 lower

It's a .308 lower compatible with a .223 upper </div></div>

Ah i thought to myself that i read it backwards. Damn that would've made things very simple. Still could be worth going if they would price it right.

I am not impressed by this. I have to echo the others here: You're late to the party, Colt. I would have been more impressed by a .300AAC offering or something to that effect, but who hasn't seen a .308 AR?

Did anyone else find it goofy that they're using a Magpul grip with a VLTOR stock?

I guess on the plus side the lower is of use. Could use it for a SPR upper and a SASS upper. Which in that case i might have to look into it, if it's not completely overpriced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJ_Miller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Media day at SHOT Colt unveiled a 308 AR...........not sure about details. Kinda late to the dance if you ask me....but at least they are on board now................JJ </div></div>

I agree it's a little late but i like to see more options out there. How many brands do make AR 10s? Off the top of my head, DPMS, Armalite, GAP, RRA, and LWRC. </div></div>

No, only 1 company makes AR-10s. Armalite. Everyone else makes a copy or a clone. AR-10 is a registered trademark. See here:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Armalite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10-1. QUESTION: Why does ArmaLite object to other companies calling their rifles “AR-10.”

ANSWER: First, we object because they aren’t AR-10®s. The AR-10 is a special rifle manufactured by ArmaLite. Second, the model term “AR-10® is a registered ArmaLite trademark and may be used only on ArmaLite rifles or rifles made under license.

ArmaLite spent a lot of money producing the AR-10 when no one else would. We have spent a lot of time building the name and reputation of this rifle and trademark law requires us to prevent others from infringing on the trademark.

In addition, assuring that our model designation is properly used only with our rifle reduces the likelihood of owners of problematic lower-grade semiautomatic 308 rifles from referring to their problems as “AR-10 problems”.</div></div>

http://www.armalite.com/Categories.aspx?Category=538b8c3c-6710-4282-839f-fb5caf8043a3#10

But, to elaborate on your question, you forgot a few, and I am sure there is more.

Noveske, LaRue (OBR), LMT, Aero Precision, Knights Armament...

Here is a video from Mike at CS Tactical on the new offering from Colt:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NN2vA1YUY0U&feature=player_detailpage"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NN2vA1YUY0U&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I honestly like the idea of the multi cal lower. I mean if it's not to overpriced that saves me plenty of money down the road. Get that lower and build an SPR then later geta .308 Upper and use it, unless it only works with Colt's .308 upper.

As far as I am concerned Colt is a traitor for building large pin AR-15 models to make the gun grabbers happy. I would not consider a Colt - period. In the dark days of the AWB only one company produced a reasonably priced 308 AR platform - Armalite.

That said I would consider the RRA product or LMT (maybe others) if I did not already own an Armalite - but never a Colt.

Uh Colt sorry dollar short and day late. We've seen this from Colt for 20 years. Even when the dirt bag politicians were screaming about "sporting purpose" rifles and the most established rifle "sport" was the CMP/NRA service rifle Colt couldn't get it and never produced a DCM ready rifle. They did put out their "Match" Ar-15 which no match rifle shooter I ever met would think of using. Shame Colt once had the reputation for new ideas.

+1 NO VOTE for the large pin and Colt only parts. AR's are what they are because they are modular.

STILL WAITING. Colt too pricey for what you get

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varmint6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well someone woke up at the plant it seems? </div></div>
+1. I like the idea, Have a prec. .308 upper today, wake up tomorrow, throw a 556 upper on it, and head off to a class is a great idea, and they beat FN to it.

Scott

I hate Colt's percieved attitude of general public but I love their LEO rifles. I have Scar, all brands of AR 15's , Aug, etc but my 6940 with acog shoots tiny small groups all the time. Sorry, my stream of consciousness , I havent fallen asleep yet.

Didnt see this post, just posted some of the same info on another thread here.
I did read Kevin B posted this on Lightfighter regarding price.
"Colt said around $300 more than a 5.56mm gun -- roughly $1,250-1,500 for a Semi Auto Civilian Sale gun MSRP."
I've also read June release date.
If only it were to be as accurate as the EMC or MWS...

When a hot chik is late to the party I could care less if she's late...as long as she puts out. I like it.

I like it. For guys like me in Cali that have a pain in the ass time acquiring semi's, I can have numerous weapons with one lower to deal with. Like the ambi controls. Looks like monolithic uppers which not a fan of unless there are options for length. +pmag capable. Re-barrel 5.56 upper with match SPR barrel, and re-barrel the 7.62 upper with an 18-20 match for a SASS. That compared to 4800 for KAC EMC and 2000 for a KAC sr-15 match totaling close to 7K. Just a thought. Jeff, (And i'm a KAC fan)

With the extra mag well length on that lower what does that mean with load devolopment in the future for the AR15 uppers?

Was thinking three years ago about how a lower could be designed to take longer and shorter magazines. It was spawned by thoughts about how impractical I thought the SCAR concept was (a nice premise but only half the job was done with that system, IME), and some thoughts about how maybe the 6.5 Grendel could be hot-rodded a bit more if the free world's part of the shooting world would quit being chained to that STANAG magazine well and the length limits of the original M193 5.56mm round.

My own idea was a bit cock-eyed, thinking of higher-performance belted ammo for the GPMG and sniper rifles, sticking with STANAG mag-length for the regular infantry carbine putting a Grendel upper on existing lowers, and then transitioning to the better ammo with a deeper magwell with the next generation of infantry rifle...with the new rifle being backwards-compatible with the shorter-depth magazines.

Best of both worlds, immediate caliber upgrade to 100-110gr 6.5 bullets, and finally converting over to a long-loaded 123-gr for the ground pounders further down the road.

Me, this is the best thing Colt has pulled off since the Magnum Carry, that short-lived 6-shot Detective Special sized snubby. It's what, more than a thousand bucks LESS than a SCAR, and really, truly lets you swap calibers *inside* a weapons system, instead of clumsily tacking stuff on two separate lower receiver assemblies.

In a world of seriously over-priced shoulder weapons (at least retail to us non-governmental buyers), this one actually gives greater value for the extra bucks. Add the MagPull/Bushmaster/Whoever ACR's quick-change barrel system and it just might really be worth a full $2K.

Damn those late basterds
mad.gif
A new rifle build with a LMT CQB MRP ontop of that lower might be an interesting thing to see. Pics/vid of the internals of the lower?

Thats what I was wondering too. Thats why I want to "see" how it works and not just somebody holding it. My guess is new mag for it. I'm sure this means diffrent spring and buffer between the 7.62 and the 5.56.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how does a 556 mag fit into the 308 magwell</div></div>

There is an insert to block the well.

We spent some time talking to them, and honestly, Colt had no answers on anything. It was rushed to Shot and nothing was available but a look.

We asked about muzzle velocity on the 13.5" 308 upper and they had no idea. The Colt engineer said they only shot it to 300.

But they add an insert to the lower to change the mag well. It used Pmags either way, but had an insert inside.

Listen to the almost-infuriatingly uninformative video and you'll hear that the 5.56 conversion involves putting something like an adaptor block into the magwell.

I suspect that the mechanism might put its own mag catch in contact with the .308-size mag release, preserving its function.

I'm curious about how it locks into the big magwell.

This also opens the possibility of adapting to *other* smaller magazines as well.

Of course, this has its highest utility for military/LEO only so long as the two-caliber model remains. I'm still in favor of dumping both and going with a 1/8-inch longer version of the Grendel, maybe with a tiny bit more casewall taper "for ease of extraction".

So its not going to help me any if I ask how they accommodate for bolt carrier length between the two.

edite
Yeah he says that in the vid but it would be nice to demostrate in a vid for us less bright folks. Like me
crazy.gif

thanks for the info LL and Grump--also trying to figure that
color on the Colt's--looks like a semi-gloss gold on my PC

Good for Colt. I love seeing all the Colt AR haters getting their panties in a bunch.
I love Colt 1911's as much as the next guy, but I have over 20K rounds through my 1994 era M-4 with no complaining, and just keeps on singing, class after class. I feel for all the guys who have rifle issues at classes with new (insert name brand here )what ever brand AR, either due to bad maintaince, or parts failures.
When the day comes, and ole reliable is laid up, I have a 6920 all ready to pick up the slack! JPG

I have a feeling this rifle is going to be compatible with any 5.56 upper, but only colt's .308 upper will work. It looks like the .308 upper uses a not standard front take down pin mounted lower than a regular .308 takedown pin. It seems the .308 upper is built to be able to lock into that pin.

anyone who went to SHOT and saw the Colt in person---please describe the color--is it FDE, tan, gold or?? looks like a new
color on my laptop--I like it--just wonderin'

Fuck Colt. Along with the Pentagon clowns, Colt blamed soldiers for M16s failures in Vietnam. Who knows how many were killed because of Colt's arrogance fueled by contract money. Fuck Colt!

Don't just blame Colt for some of the casualties if Vietnam. It was bad war the whole way through and BRASS should have known better than to supply troops with no maintance gear for their equipment. Alot of things could've been handled better.

With that said at least we know the system works. Hope to see more info on the lower.

I thought the Colt rifle was kind of cool. They left themselves some room to expand on it too. From what the engineers told me there are going to be some add ons that they are going to come out with. Yeah, they're late or whatever, but it's another choice that's out there now and it did look to be a pretty quality piece, so it's a good thing no matter...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlterEgo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the Colt rifle was kind of cool. They left themselves some room to expand on it too. From what the engineers told me there are going to be some add ons that they are going to come out with. Yeah, they're late or whatever, but it's another choice that's out there now and it did look to be a pretty quality piece, so it's a good thing no matter... </div></div>

Everyone keeps saying they're late who else is making 308 lowers that will run 556 uppers? 2 precision uppers 1 precision lower seems like this could save you some money or be a double duty firearm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Everyone keeps saying they're late who else is making 308 lowers that will run 556 uppers? 2 precision uppers 1 precision lower seems like this could save you some money or be a double duty firearm</div></div>

Agreed.what i've been trying to say the whole time.