• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Combat hatchet

Platypus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Gentlemen,
I am working on a project to build a combat hatchet for a friend that is in the land of sand. I am looking for suggestions on material of construction I traditioanlly like to work with 154CM as it is kind of a jack of all trades steel. I have knife widths but need plate big enough to make it a one piece construction and in the neighborhood of 1/4" to 3/8" thick. The piece of plate I am looking for needs to be about 14" x 10". Sources for material would be greatly appreciated. What rockwell hardness do I need to take it to? Any suggestions or comments are certainly welcome.

Re: Combat hatchet

My favorite is the Battle Hawk by GG&G and they even post their specs on-line...would be a good starting point for ideas.

Thank you for the heads up on the GG&G. What I am looking to do is combine the following:
294m6bb.jpg

2ir3d5d.jpg

The intent is to have a tool that can be used as an impact tool for knocking loop holes in walls, gaining access through walls, smashing locks in doors, prying open doors and windows, using it as a small rake and brake, and for cutting or chopping if need be. May be asking a lot of a single tool but with weight and size always being a concern when loading out your gear this may just fit the bill. I envision something along the lines of a high speed roofing hatchet with a few more features. The machete was my favorite tool in years gone by but the urban enviroment needs an appropriate tool for the task listed above. On another note we have used the FatMax FUBAR in our breaching classes and I carry one in the back of my unit. They work like a champ and short of heavy steel reinforced doors they work really well as a key to the city. Plus they do not take up a bunch of room in your vehicle or attached to your gear, and are easy to carry. Let me know how feasible this marriage of tools will work out. I will get an initial drawing generated and put up here for some more feedback.

I personally think based on what you're looking to accomplish that you have your work cut out for you. Far too often when you try to cram 10-lbs of shit in a 5-lb bag you just end up with...well...just a bag of shit.

Given your objective I'd likely stay closer to the FatMax design since technically speaking you're not looking for something that doubles as a weapon, even though the fatmax would be a good persuader in its current form.

Danel, have you checked out Niagra Specialty Metals? I think that is where most of the knife makers get their steel from.

http://www.nsm-ny.com/

Warren Thomas, a pretty well known knife maker in your area of town might have some steel or know of some place to get it.
http://www.wtknives.com/

Give it an insulated handle. It's not as much an issue hacking into mud walls in the land of sand but it's nice to be able to knock about in walls without the fear of hitting an electrical wire and 'feel the power.'

Danel,

Very cool idea! I would love to see how it turns out. ATS 34 SS would be my choice, but this is what I use on the white devil every time he tries to trade me beads for land.
wink.gif

tomahawk.jpg

-Pat

Hi Danel,

Texas Knife makers supply might be a resource of information for you, they have a wide selection of steels ( they can get different size for your project)they also do heat treat, ckeck to see if there oven will be large enough.

I have all kinds of metallurgist I can get info from if needed. PM me

Texas Knifemakers SupplyAddress:‎

10649 Haddington Drive
Houston, TX 77043-3240

(713) 461-8632
texasknife.com‎

Mr. Jenkins,

Have you considered a design similar to the RMJ Logggerhead Shrike?

I just received mine in the mail today and it's amazing. I went with the loggerhead as I felt it would be more "multi use" than the status quo RMJ spike end design. I do plan on purchasing an Eagle Talon as well.

I'm planning on posting as much as an in depth review as I can later but figured I'd show ya this one for design ideas.

In Kydex sheath
hawk1.jpg

skull crusher butt cap that holds sharpening stone
hawk2.jpg

sharpening stone (cavity only extends about a 1/4" past the stone)
hawk3.jpg

Size comparison- size 9 USGI standard leather boot
hawk7.jpg

15 3/4" from butt cap to top edge.
hawk8.jpg

The thing is stout, handles beautifully, and is virtually indestructible. Here is the FAQ page which details their manufacturing process including hardening.

http://ez061134.ezdriven.com/faq/

Hope this helps some.

I have a roofing hatchet that I would like to build a sheath for...anyone have ideas?

I took a modern Tomahawk to Baghdad with me. I only used it when screwing around. It did have some sway with the locals.
I would say that you cann't go wrong with a Hawk style!!

Don't know about combat, but this thing will flat out mess stuff up......

GB-41061.jpg