• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coming back from shoulder surgery

paraman1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2003
Boise , Idaho
I had shoulder surgery last July and while the shoulder has healed nicely I am struggling to get strength back in it . I have access to a full gym and was wondering what I should be working on to help with strength . I work in construction and have had to really alter my work patterns in order to do jobs that used to be easy for me .

Any help here ?

A good physical therapist can help you with flexibility and strength training. The shoulder is a very complicated joint, and the pros know which way to bend it and exercise it to get it back to as normal as possible. I destroyed my collar bone up in the shoulder area, and after a good surgery, the PT got me back to nearly 100%. Took a few months and cost a bit, but it was worth it.

What kind of injury happened to ur shoulder. I'm an old baseball pitcher that went thru all kinds of shoulder problems and lots of rehab.

I tore my long bicep tendon loose along with a chunk of the labrum . I also had a bone spur that was impinging on some nerves so they ground it out . Spending 4 months with a 1 pound lifting restriction left my right side pretty weak .

U need to make sure u build all the small muscles that attach with the tendons. U will have to do that with light weight and 15 to 20 reps. Dr Andrews in Birmingham Alabama opererated on my shoulder. He is one of the well none surgeons in the world and gave me multiple programs u can do at home. U could contact me at 205 2424244 and I could get a program sent

You're about to become very familiar with surgical tubing, and later the smith machine. Go slow. Learn proper stretches.

Good luck

Did you rehab following surgery? If not, see a PT and get a good home strengthening program going. It will do wonders. Also how is your shoulder motion? (Overhead and sliding your thumb from your belt up your back)

Mike

I had rotator cuff surgery about 10 weeks ago on my left shoulder and the same surgery on the right when I was 22. I am now 50 and WOW what a difference in rehab time. I feel like it's never going to get strong again!

I went in for arthroscopic surgery for my labrum and AC joint clean up on April 9. When I woke up, I found out the surgeon did an open incision on me and ended up doing 4 procedures on me: fix my torn labrum, repair a full thickness rotator cuff tear on my supraspinatus, clean up some osteoarthritis in my AC joint, and clean up my worn-out and frayed chondral layer of my humeral head. It has been almost exactly 2 months since the surgery. I'm 41, and have lifted weights for 24 years.

My range-of-motion is at about 80% and my strength is pretty pathetic. I lifted weights for the first time since surgery this week. I managed to do 50 lb dumbbell rows for back, but on chest I could only manage putting 30 lbs on the Hammer Strength incline press machine for my right arm (I put 135 lbs on my left). When I tried doing dumbbell skull crushers, I only had a 12lb dumbbell in my right hand and I was trembling something fierce while doing them.

It is somewhat daunting and discouraging coming back from this, but I hope my strength comes back quickly. My balance and symmetry is all out of whack.

I had a decompression done on right shoulder. It was kind of a slow recovery. Those who advised you to see a pt are right. I tried to rehab it on my own and delayed the recovery. After I got hooked up with a good pt things getting back to normal quicker. Good luck with your recovery! I might also add not to get impatient and reinjure yourself.

paraman1, I had similar issues and surgery on my right shoulder back in the fall of 2007. I was out of regular action for about 6 months after my surgery. I went back to work at that time although I was apprehensive as I was not yet back to full strength. Took over a year before the right side was even close to the left side. During that time I had one super skinny arm and one that appeared overdeveloped. One thing you have to realise is that it will most likely never be the same. A good rehab program does help. As mentioned by others, it's the little exercises with the rubber bands, the light weights that help. It takes time, longer for guys our age and lots of diligence in doing the rehab. I was in my early 40's when I had this done and yes, it seemed to take forever. Shoulder is now better than it was before surgery, but one has to realize that age, repetive injuries to the same place take their toll.